Revell U.S.S. forrestal

I

itsa_ss

this kit was given to me by a friend, and this is going to be my first ship. i will probably be asking a few questions.

R

rjwood_uk

take a look at my tamiya Musashi thread...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2781

B

Bunkerbarge

This actually quite a large undertaking for a first ship model. To do it justice will require a lot of hours which you may find daunting but the effect when you finish it will be very satisfying.

Don't forget to ask questions before you commit to doing something that you are not too sure about.

I

itsa_ss

i will be asking a few questions! how many hours do you have in the Musashi?

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard is adding photo-etch details to his model which will increase the build time considerably.

Straight out of the box though a model of the size and complexity as your Forrestal could take over a hundred hours. You could of course simply glue all the bits together and spray it grey on one evening so it all depends on how much time you want to put into it.

As a guide the Revel U-boat has probably taken nearly 100 hours and I thought that was going to be a simple kit to put together.

R

rjwood_uk

well lets just say one of the turrets with the photo etched detail took me about 5 hours

I

itsa_ss

wow that alot of time to put into a model! i don think tha ti have the skill to do somthing as nice as most of the models that i have looked in the gallery, but mabey with more time i will start to get better.

I

itsa_ss

sorry richard i had not seen that you had posted. the scale is 1/542. i have been working on it for about a week now and i have most of the decks in place and tonight a put a coat of paint onto the bottom half of the ship that is a semi flat black, i think that if the ship were in water that you would never even see this. i think that it looks fairly decent at the moment but i have only just begun and im waiting to just screw somthing up. but i hope not!

R

rjwood_uk

im sure you wont!!!

just be patient!! if you reed through my musashi build thread you will read about a few erm....miss-haps that have happened. I started this ship at the begining of april (i think) and i will hoepfully have it done by christmas!!!

I

itsa_ss

i have looked through the threed and the ship is really nice!!! since this is my first im not going to try any of the fancy stuff that you guys do, im not that confident with my skill yet.

is the musashi your first ship?

R

rjwood_uk

lol yea. i had a lot of advice of these guys before doing it, people telling me to go for it and do the p/e detail, people telling me not to attempt it (never used p/e before)

but i just thought stuff it, theres only one way to learn!!!

hows your ship comming along? got any pics yet?

I

itsa_ss

i didnt get to work on it any this evening (work), but i will get a picture up tomorow. it is a learnig experince, like you said and i would like to build another ship, somthing more of what you are building though (battle ship) i like all of the big guns, they just look mean to me.

R

rjwood_uk

i wouldnt go for a 1:350 scale though mate...not unless you have a spare shelf as its 75cm long!!!

I

itsa_ss

this is what i have done on the ship so far. feel free to comment.

I

itsa_ss

im not sure what you mean by vigilantes. can you explain? sorry