Rick's Academy 1/48 Douglas Dauntless SBD-2 US Navy

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well you lot are no fun! I posted these in Ken's mystery builder thread and nobody took the challenge so here I am outing myself.

This is a kit that became a shelf queen before I got tired of looking at it and decided to finish it off. It's the Academy boxing and built OOB using VMA paints, varnishes and chipping solution throughout. The only addition is the aerial thread. The base is something I picked up from a LMS in Toulouse which is actually a Japanese carrier deck but I'm not too fussed on accuracy with it. The base was painted by me.

This is the second 1/48 aircraft that I have completed with many more to follow I think.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

0ne48thtel

Very nice Rick the weathering looks spot on the base looks good too. I don't think anyone would really notice the difference if you hadn't pointed it out as being a Japenese carrier deck.

D

Doug Hughes

Looks great, Rick. I love the weathering. I'm a big fan of the Dauntless - just waiting for a decent kit in 1/72.

B

Builder

Great job there Rick, I am building an SBD 5 too at the moment, and really liked how youve done yours.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great looking job Rick, a cracking aircraft.....Here's mine on an American flight deck. Well, a bit of roofing slate really + a bit of doodling for a background.

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 031.jpg

Sorry mate, I  couldn't resist the temptation, particularily after your ref. to the type of carrier deck...I know, me bad :sad:

Belated welcome back to the forum as well.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just love the Dauntless!! :x

Very nice build and flight deck!! B|

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great looking job Rick, a cracking aircraft.....Here's mine on an American flight deck. Well, a bit of roofing slate really + a bit of doodling for a background.

View attachment 266894

Sorry mate, I couldn't resist the temptation, particularily after your ref. to the type of carrier deck...I know, me bad :sad:

Belated welcome back to the forum as well.

Ron

Welcome back? I was never away Ron. I just built this on the qt.

A

Awins

Well you lot are no fun! I posted these in Ken's mystery builder thread and nobody took the challenge so here I am outing myself.

This is a kit that became a shelf queen before I got tired of looking at it and decided to finish it off. It's the Academy boxing and built OOB using VMA paints, varnishes and chipping solution throughout. The only addition is the aerial thread. The base is something I picked up from a LMS in Toulouse which is actually a Japanese carrier deck but I'm not too fussed on accuracy with it. The base was painted by me.

This is the second 1/48 aircraft that I have completed with many more to follow I think.

View attachment 266730

View attachment 266732

View attachment 266733

View attachment 266734

View attachment 266735

View attachment 266736

View attachment 266737
I like this alot. Excellant build

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Super looking build rick.Like Ian I saw it in the mystery builder thread but had no idea it was yours ( if it had been a nimrod or something recent RAF then it might have been a different thing!) The one thing i did think when i saw it though was what a cracking job it was, cheers tony