Rick's Douglas Dauntless - Airfix 1/72 US navy - completed

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I made the finishing touches to this today by adding the aerial mast, wire and propeller. This was a slow burner for me (well, they all are) and I'm reasonably happy with the result. The canopy was a pain so I was hoping that the step up to 1/48 might be less of a problem until Ron's caution about his build! I wasn't looking forward to that part anyway.

Anyway, it's all out of the box but weathered. The finished effect shows quite a battered and careworn aircraft but authentic weathering was not the intention, rather the pleasure of building an attractive little aeroplane and trying out new weathering techniques. The chipped paint on the underside turned out better than hoped for while the mix of matt and gloss finish on the upper surface came about by accident while trying to apply a wash. Wiping off with tissue paper also took away some of the matt varnish exposing the gloss underneath.

Vallejo paints used throughout.

View attachment 87749

View attachment 87750

View attachment 87751

View attachment 87752

View attachment 87753

View attachment 87754

View attachment 87755

View attachment 87756

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Mike
I like that Rick. Always nice when a 'happy accident' happens ;) I especially like the worn effect on the underside.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's turned out just fine Rick. A well used dive bomber!

I tried to be clever and have both the pilot and gunner's canopies slid open to see the detail....bad move. What a tough job....In hindsight I wish I'd gone for your choice....Shut tight. It would have kept my sanity in check!

Nice work.

Ron

D

Doug Hughes

Well done Rick! I can see the worn paint effect underneath being a useful trick to master - how did you do that? I remember my excitement when this now venerable kit appeared in the catalogue for the first time.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Well done Rick! I can see the worn paint effect underneath being a useful trick to master - how did you do that? I remember my excitement when this now venerable kit appeared in the catalogue for the first time.
Hi Doug,

You can read a bit about it in the build thread here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/douglas-dauntless-sbd-3-5-in-1-72-by-airfix.27232/

I used one of these chipping effect solutions with the inspiration from The Weathering Magazine.