Ritchie's Tupolev SB2 Bomber 1/72

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
First time on a group build, be gentle!
Don't usually do 72 scale as the eyes, in this case, do not have it. But found this cheap on eBay and it seems to fit the criteria.
Far as my limited reading on it goes, (and full credit to this builder where most of my info came from, https://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/bakersb2.htm ),
it was developed mid-30s and first used in anger in the Spanish Civil War up to the start of WW2.
Supposedly quite advanced at the time it was soon outdated because, as we all know, nothing pushes development faster than a war, so 1941 seen the end of production with newer bombers being made.
As you can see it's not a huge model, no great amount of parts to it, although you do have the choice of wheels or skids and 2 bladed (early) or the later 3 bladed props.
Not sure if the decals are any good, they look quite iffy but it really is an old kit.
Also there are a fair few different paint schemes on the www so can decide later but likely be something simple!
Have a couple of tidy up jobs to finish off before starting on this but will update as/when I have started.IMG20231009154103.jpgIMG20231009153518.jpgIMG20231009154326.jpgIMG20231009154316.jpgIMG20231009154245.jpgIMG20231009154202.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ritchie

Sorry, completely missed the start of this.

Also can I ask that you change the way you insert the images?

There's a couple of ways of doing it and the way they're in means you have to click on them to view and I know some members on older laptops struggle with it.

Thanks.

Andrew

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Ritchie

Sorry, completely missed the start of this.

Also can I ask that you change the way you insert the images?

There's a couple of ways of doing it and the way they're in means you have to click on them to view and I know some members on older laptops struggle with it.

Thanks.

Andrew
Sorry about that, can't even remember how I inserted them TBH!
Just about to post a couple so let me know how next post is and I'll change again if need be.
Thanks.

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Very late start on this but since it's very small and basic it shouldn't take long to catch up!
Remembering now why I don't do 1/72, there are actually 2 figures included in this kit but way too small for me to even start to think about including. There's so much flash and fettling for almost every bit of the kit but I'll make do as I can.
No cockpit detail to speak of, just an empty seat and same for rear gunner position. Fuselage together with lots of sprue glue as the fits, especially the tail planes, is shockingly bad. Main wings can't be as bad hopefully. After letting that cure and cleaning off I'll get some undercoat on and move on a bit.
Thanks for now....IMG20231023175914.jpgIMG20231023175859.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very late start on this but since it's very small and basic it shouldn't take long to catch up!
Remembering now why I don't do 1/72, there are actually 2 figures included in this kit but way too small for me to even start to think about including. There's so much flash and fettling for almost every bit of the kit but I'll make do as I can.
No cockpit detail to speak of, just an empty seat and same for rear gunner position. Fuselage together with lots of sprue glue as the fits, especially the tail planes, is shockingly bad. Main wings can't be as bad hopefully. After letting that cure and cleaning off I'll get some undercoat on and move on a bit.
Thanks for now....View attachment 493783View attachment 493784

That's worked perfectly!! Thanks for having another go!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Not a subject or a kit make that I've heard of. A lot of fettling and dry fitting needed I imagine. The box art looks rather eye catching.

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Hi all, getting a proper butt-kicking from this little blighter!
So much filling and sanding, 3 or 4 goes with curing time at almost every main joint and still not quite getting there, seems to be going on forever for a 72 scale. Despite best efforts, with the details being raised on the moulding I've managed to take off quite a bit of those.
Despite a good clean before any painting, used good(the stinky kind) primer before silver coat, it still peeled on tail when masking off for the red edge.
Decals as I said before looked bit iffy and this bore out when they dissolved on hitting the water.
I'll have a go at trying to cut some masking for the decals but think my time may be up on this build! IMG20231101140401.jpgIMG20231101140357.jpgIMG20231101140340.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HI Ritchie

Just had a catch-up. This one is fighting you all the way, isn't it.

Have you made your final decision?

ATB

Andrew

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Hi Andy,
Still plugging away at it but not had much bench time past week or so.
I can honestly say if this wasn't a group build, and my first group build at that, this little bugger would be consigned to the shelf of doom!
Probs only need one more session on it then it'll be out of my rapidly thinning hair....
Cheers for dropping in!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Wow! what a nightmare of a kit :fearful:

Full marks for persistence though Ritchie, hope you manage to conquer the beast :thumb2:

Geoff.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi all, getting a proper butt-kicking from this little blighter!
So much filling and sanding, 3 or 4 goes with curing time at almost every main joint and still not quite getting there, seems to be going on forever for a 72 scale. Despite best efforts, with the details being raised on the moulding I've managed to take off quite a bit of those.
Despite a good clean before any painting, used good(the stinky kind) primer before silver coat, it still peeled on tail when masking off for the red edge.
Decals as I said before looked bit iffy and this bore out when they dissolved on hitting the water.
I'll have a go at trying to cut some masking for the decals but think my time may be up on this build! View attachment 494420View attachment 494421
Stick with it! Not all kits have to fall together!:upside:

Hey Ritchie, do you have one of those mag lamps?
I use mine when it feels like I’m going into the quantum realm:nerd:

IMG_3423.jpeg

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Stick with it! Not all kits have to fall together!:upside:

Hey Ritchie, do you have one of those mag lamps?
I use mine when it feels like I’m going into the quantum realm:nerd:

View attachment 495215
Might be a shout to get one of these for the fiddly work. I do have one of the head mounted sets but rarely use it and this seems a bit easier.
Cheers Mag

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Apologies for the late appearance Ritchie. Seems like a challenge and a fighter. Good that you're persistent and it's looking good. Checked out the link you posted on Brian's build and he must be taking this medication...

IMG-20231108-WA0124.jpg

Cheers,
Wabble

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Apologies for the late appearance Ritchie. Seems like a challenge and a fighter. Good that you're persistent and it's looking good. Checked out the link you posted on Brian's build and he must be taking this medication...

View attachment 495216

Cheers,
Wabble

WHERE do you get them from....do I need some of those! ;) :smiling5:

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
At last, completed as much as it will be.
Lost the will to even go up the loft for a week or so there!
Tidied up and couple of painted insignia as had no other decals to replace the kit ones. I'm afraid there was no attempt at weathering as I just couldn't look at this little fekker any more.
Not a great attempt at my first group build but thanks very much for the encouragement to keep at it.
No more 1/72 for me!!!!
IMG20231126172023.jpgIMG20231126172005.jpgIMG20231126170526.jpgIMG20231126170510.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ritchie!

That's turned out nicely considering the problems you had and thank you for aki

Also, don't be so fast on ditching 1/72...you took an a very old kit. Have a look at something newer....perhaps go visit your nearest Aldi, they're doing one of their regular cheap Airfix deals....the Spitfire is a great little kit.

Again, thanks for taking part!

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I don't know what trouble it caused you but it came out alright. As Andrew said, you picked on old one. Something newer, might be easier.

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Ritchie!

That's turned out nicely considering the problems you had and thank you for aki

Also, don't be so fast on ditching 1/72...you took an a very old kit. Have a look at something newer....perhaps go visit your nearest Aldi, they're doing one of their regular cheap Airfix deals....the Spitfire is a great little kit.

Again, thanks for taking part!

Andrew
Thx A, I'll keep that in mind, seen those kits n never really thought but under a tenner I may try one. Cheets

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thx A, I'll keep that in mind, seen those kits n never really thought but under a tenner I may try one. Cheets

The newer Airfix kits go together really nicely....I have down three now and not had ANY complaints....other than my own incompetence.

Lidl also stock them cheap three or four times a year, in case that's nearer!

ATB

Andrew