robbe U47 Static Dive Build

M

magpie

Trialed Her On Saturday

She performed very nicely for me today and I'm rapped to the back teeth. (Haven't got many)

I put her in and found her floating at deck level so she came out and I put some foam blocks in both front and rear under the brass decks. The next launch had her about the right height. I tested the static dive which went well but she went down stern first. I pulled her out again and added a bit more foam aft and tried again. This time she went down level or close to it. Slightly bow down which suits what I want! The test went well and she got up and went pretty fast. The turning radius is huge unfortanately. I can live with that. In tight spots I back and fill like parking a big car in a small spot. I found I can do crazy slide in parking like on the movies by driving the bow under near the edge and powering the stern around. It pretty well jumps around into the edge (reeds). It's on the video clip as I did it a few times to parctice much to other people's amazement. It was a really fun day's boating and I'm hooked on subs for sure. I had a sail of one of my yachts afterwards and I got bored quickley and longed for some more subbing! The depth controller wasn't tested today as I forgot to turn it on when I closed her up at home. I have the radio on a magnet switch and I didn't wish to re-open the WTC as I was having too much fun and didn't want to push my luck. BTW she didn't leak a drop after 1 1/2 hrs in the water. I didn't motor for the whole time but would have done an hour I reckon. The batteries tested at 6.75 V when I got home. I think my receiver being hooked up to the the main power might be a problem. I had a few instances of servos refusing to work and then working and at one stage she wouldn't blow the ballast and I tried turning of the radio to try the failsafe and she still wouldn't. On wading out for her (only shallow where she was) I found the batteries wern't flat and she went OK. It might be the problem you guys spoke of a while ago of the receiver shuddering the servos and going mad when you lose signal. I did notice it doing a bit of that when testing on shore. It's an 8 ch Hitec receiver that came with the Eclipse 7 Hitec radio. All in all I'm very happy with the sub and looking forward to finishing her off and detailing her.

More soon.

Jason

PS Here's a link to the vid. It has a few short bits of yachting along with my sub as I was tackling them and diving to hide etc. Note the last pic shows my 'cheat' bubble float where I was hiding.

http://www.magpieyachts.com/files/4march06CherryLakesubtestssailing.MPG

Or for a larger 36 MB edited version:

http://www.magpieyachts.com/files/UboatTrials4march06CherryLakeAU.wmv

View attachment 13609

View attachment 13610

View attachment 13611

View attachment 13612

View attachment 13613

View attachment 13614

View attachment 13615

View attachment 13616

Uboat3march06_2Bow.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_3inbox.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_8.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_9trimmed.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_10.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_12.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_14.jpg

Uboat4marchlaunch_13.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Very interesting thread Magpie. I really appreciate you sharing your progress with us and I am glad to see her sea trials went well.

I am now looking forward to seeing her finished and looking the real deal.

M

magpie

Thanks Guys

Very interesting thread Magpie.Thanks Bunk! I just added the pic that I mentioned at the end. I had forgotten it.

Jason

A

adzam

i`m enjoying the thread magpie, she`s looking good mate.

Adz..

M

magpie

More work and Trial video

I made the railings around the guns

today and the trypod ones at the

back. She's pretty well ready for

paint now.

Click the link after this paragraph to see another clip. Note that

the ballast lead bar was stuck right forward instead of right back

where it should be for trim. When I glued the foam in, I thought it

was still back after the trials. It wasn't and some of the glue got

into the lead channel!!!

I have more work to do. The video shows the bow riding high.

This is due to the need for the back dive planes to be right up to

stop the props from coming out of the water. The amazing thing

is that the apc and adc managed to keep her trimmed under

water regardless and she sailed around at her set 8" depth

(water over periscope 8")

http://www.magpieyachts.com/files/U47Sub2ndTrialBallast_fullforwad10mar06.wmv

View attachment 13632

View attachment 13633

View attachment 13634

Uboat10mar_6.jpg

Uboat10mar_2.jpg

Uboat10mar_4.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

That figure really adds life to the model and will look exellent when painted up.

Where did you get it?

This sub is coming alonng very nicely and I am eagerly awaiting to see how it looks with a coat of paint on it.

Be carefull with the weathering though, I have seen a number of nice sub models spoilt by too much weathering. Start with a little and build up slowly.

There was one in March Model Boats magazine of last year which was a converted Revell plastic kit and the weathering looked grossly overdone and hence awfull. This was supposed to be made by a proffessional modeller.

M

magpie

That figure really adds life to the model and will look exellent when painted up.Where did you get it?

Hi and thanks.

It's from Accurate Armour. I got the Panzer crew kit which has 2 officers and 3 ORs. They are on a tree and you assemble them in the attitude you want to suit your model. I aggree about excessive weathering. They look like wrecks some of them. A bit looks good though I think. Bits of wear from mooring lines and foot wear on ladders etc.

Gegards

Jason

M

magpie

Nearly done!!

Thank you for looking!!!

I've nearly finished her. The paint is primer. I retrimmed her today and moved the lead back and added a bit. I added some more foam too to trim her up just about right. I'm taking her to our club tomorrow for the first time and it's forecast to be 36 deg celcius!! I'll take my Banckert tug too. I put the Uboat ensign on today to brighten her up a bit. Plain primer is a bit dull!

View attachment 13635

View attachment 13636

Uboat11mar_1.jpg

Uboat11mar_2.jpg

M

macone

Hi Nice work Jason currently doing this build also similar set up to you using the engle dive system. Did instal twin esc's though it will help with the turning circle. I'm using the decking provided with the kit and i'm curious how are you holding your decks down.

Regards Julian.

M

magpie

Hi Nice work Jason currently doing this build also similar set up to you using the engle dive system. Did instal twin esc's though it will help with the turning circle. I'm using the decking provided with the kit and i'm curious how are you holding your decks down.Regards Julian.
Hi Julian

I use elastric like for underwear etc and I put SS split pins through the deck from above and bend the ends up to form a loop. I put ss wire hooks on one end of the elastic and tie the other end to a split pin loop. The elastic goes down under the deck formers etc and back up to the loop at another point where it gives enough down force. At the bow I used a boubled bit with a largeer hooh and I hook it under the brass rod that goes between the dive planes. I use a bit of abs with a notch in the bottom to push it down and hooh-unhook it as my hands won't fit. The deck aft of the tower is free to lift up and swipe my magnet to turn the receiver on-off through the wtc tube. I made the small hatch for the purpose but found it much easier to just lift the deck. I have several indexing pins and bits of flat brass soldered onto the deck plates that poke through slots and holes in extra bits of abs glued accross the boat for the purpose. They keep it all in the right place. I'm about to leave for the boat club with the sub right now so I'll post more tonight assuming all goes OK and I'm not grieving her loss etc!!!:emo10: Must be positive aye?!!! I'll try and remember to include a pic of my deck fasteners.

Regards

Jason

B

Bunkerbarge

So your wife/girlfriend/partner finds their underwear is a bit on the slack side it is because you have stolen the knicker elestic!!

M

magpie

Her First Club Run

She went well today at her first club run. The trim was good on the surface, but she ststic dived a bit stern first. It's due to a bit of extra foam that I put in the bow to bring the nose up a touch when afloat. It hauls the bow up as she sinks stationary. I'll fix that no wuckers!

I took heaps of pics and video but sweet FA came out! Only a couple of distant shots. (see below) I was being asked a million questions a minute by kids and adults. It's amazing how most people knock subs as a waste of money, "can't even see it" etc, and yet when you bring yours out for a run, they're all keen as mustard to watch and ask silly questions. I don't mind that though. The only trouble was today it got me a bit stressed out and I made a few mistakes like with the camera and also I set my comp radio to the wrong model setting and it wouldn't stop or go astern. It went into the weeds and caused me much embarrassment on her first run. Not happy
icon_redface.gif

I worked out the problem though and made sure that all the club's submarine lovers new what caused it and didn't give me a bad rep over it. (I hope anyway) WE had a nice 36 Celcius day with a light wind and clear sky. A BBQ lunch. What more could you ask for aye? Lots of hot women I guess!

View attachment 13643

View attachment 13644

Uboatfirstsurreyclubday_2.jpg

geelongHotties.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I sincerely hope that you are not going to tell us that those young ladies adorn your boat club on a regular basis!!

If they do I can see why you get distracted and your camera settings wrong!

Lovely build and thanks for the continued report on it. For my own money I would like to see a couple of shots of how you got the Engles tank into the boat. What waterline does she sit at when the tank is empty and what level does she sit at when full?

My model (2nd hand I hasten to add) has a pump and a ballast tank, that never seems to want to work, but it sits at deck level when the tank is empty.

M

magpie

Hi

I'm still working on my trim adjustment, but it sits with the deck out about 1cm along the sides and just clear of the water at the stern. When the tank is full it sits on the bottom!!!! I trimmed the height with foam pieces under the deck for diving and stuck down low under the waterline for floating trim. I also put a small piece of lead in the V of the hull just infront of the WTC cap. The ballast bar as standard is to be trimmed (instructions) to desired weight depending on the setup. As I added lots of weight in the WTC with the tank and the 15 sub C batteries etc, I cut a part of the bar off before fitting. I haven't weighed it, I just use the physical properties in the water to go on for trim etc. She's currently sitting at a nice height with the tank empty. The extra lead was needed due to the added foam for trim. The first time I did the trim I added a bit more foam up high at the rear to hold the back up as she sinks as it was going down stern first when ststionary diving. After further moving and adjustments she is again so I'll reduce a little bit of the above waterline foam up front and add some aft. There's little room above water aft as she floats low there by design.

Boy I rave on aye?!!!

Last edited: