ROKR Owl Clock kit.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Summat a bit different.

My son bought me this plywood puzzle kit for Father's Day. Since then, he's been pestering me to get it built.
To shut him up I've built the thing over a few days off and on - and it works!

Not a toy. Great fun to build. Needs a fair bit of concentration and is a superb bit of engineering.

I thoroughly enjoyed the nice, relaxing build.

All the bits are laser cut and held on by just a couple of miniscule connections, so they easily just pop out. The kit even supplies a piece of sandpaper to clean up the tiny specks of plywood!

It'll be just a quicky. I've taken a few build shots, but first here's the box art and 'sprue' shots

P1370015.JPG

P1370017.JPG

The bits including a AA powered motor.
P1370018.JPG

P1370019.JPG

Nice, clear instructions with a take off for bits needed for that particular section of the build.
P1370020.JPG

This gives an idea of the generous size of the kit. 11" in height.
P1370016.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Now that's something quite a bit different Ron! Looks like an interesting build and a lot of parts too! I'm in for this, so bring it on Herr Rolex...

Prost
Allen

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've always had a thing for clock kits - I did make an attemt to make a card clock - An A4 book with card pages, to buids a pendelum clock. Never got it to work more than a minute or so! I did look at 3D printing a clock, but I gave up after counting 50 parts - definitely one for resin printing!
I bought an old empty mantel clock case from Ebay & fitted a Westminster electric chiming movement ( bought from AliExpress ). This worked very well, but the electronic chimes were truly awful! I took those parts out. I gave it to a friend, as the walnut case fitted in with her decor better than mine!
Dave

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Love it Ron. I have a bit of a soft spot for horology, even built a watch earlier this year from Ebay parts. Trickiest bit was getting the hands on.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Now that looks fun Ron. The only laser cut wooden kit I've done was a simple hot air balloon and that was really nice and relaxing.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting build Ron. The laxer cut stuff I’ve build for gaming has been very accurate and easy to asse, and this looks to be the same. Cant work out if it’s mechanical or electric though, the kit seems to supply both a mainspring and an electrical option….

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging words, chaps.
It'll be obscenely quick as you can only take so many photos of cogs!

Tim, it has both. A single AA battery powered, simple clock thingy. Also, two choices of mainsprings for the clockwork side of things -Strong and not so strong.

The AA one simply works the fingers on the clock. No cogs. The spring version gives an all singing, bouncing along the mantlepiece, cogs working, pendulum swinging action, but doesn't work the clock.

Should be fun!

Last edited:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
We sell loads of the Rokr sets, they seem Well made, don’t break as you’re trying to put them together. I’ve never had a company send me so many samples, they are all made up and in display cases, we are running out of space for them.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We sell loads of the Rokr sets, they seem Well made, don’t break as you’re trying to put them together. I’ve never had a company send me so many samples, they are all made up and in display cases, we are running out of space for them.
Do you have any pictures of some completed examples John?

First Name
Andy
Great looking models John, are the cases custom made or shop bought? I need a big case for a 1/6 motorcycle so any help would be appreciated.

Andy.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's the finished owl.
If you think, rather naively (As I initially did) that all the gears work the clock face. They don't. The clock is quite independent of all that and works via a simple, A.A. battery powered unit similar to any wall clock! The owl splits in two to reveal the little electric thingy when a battery replacement is required..

If you think the various cogs and gears turn when the clock is working, forget it. These work independent and use a wind up spring. So wind it up and away goes the gears and pendulum - for a max. of 30mins.
Having written the above it is an interesting kit to put together. A few hours work sees it completed.

Here's the pictures.

Front
P1370180.JPG

Rear
P1370181.JPG

P1370183.JPG

P1370182.JPG

Front face removed
P1370184.JPG

Clock workings.
P1370185.JPG

A quick fun project and something different.

Oh, it does make up into a nice clock and a talking point with visitors.
That's it really.

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's certainly different. Pity that the clockwork doesn't actually drive the clock - it would've been interesting to see how accurate the timekeeping was.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very cool Ron. But as you say, a shame the gears don't work the clock.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Yes, it was a bit of disappointment, but it was still a quick, fun build and very well designed, looks good and the parts all fitted first time.

But still a bit of a let down.......

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Still looks good though, and it will give Justine summat to do dusting it. Of course, that will only happen in between her chucking duties!