Rubbing down

T

Tibbs

whats the best method for rubbing down paint between coats..... When spraying (airbrush) my tr4, i primed and rubbed down with a 3000 grit (wet and dry), then applyed a colour coat and repeated rub down, dont know if i was being a bit heavy handed but seemed to be taking of to much paint, although i thought i was very careful, applied another coat and repeated, same again, but obviously started losing panel line definition.... So started losing heart, went and ate chocolate.... Put to the back of the shelf and started beetle, have now applied first colour coat to this model, and would like advice on how to proceed, would really like to get this right:sad:

D

Doug Hughes

To be honest. Amos, I don't usually rub paint down unless it looks wrong - uneven bits/filler showing through, bit of dust showing, etc. Unless any of these things appear, I spray one or two thin coats of primer, maybe some pre-shading, then the top coat. I usually only do one top coat unless it looks like it needs another. Maybe I'll learn something from other people's answers...

I do find that chocolate eating can take place regardless.

T

Tibbs

Thanks doug, I think my paint may be going on a touch dry, because it has a rough look, but im working on this, so am really just trying to smooth out the surface..... Going to give it a gloss varnish to finish.

D

dubster72

I'm the same as Doug, only using the wet n dry if necessary.

If your paint is coming out with a rough finish, try either spraying closer or using a bit more thinner. That will stop the paint drying in mid-air.

T

Tibbs

Was thinking about putting a couple more coats over the top, to build up a bit more paint, then giving it a light rub down before applying varnish.... What do you think?

L

Laurie

Amos you have not mentioned what paint you are using.

Assuming Acrylics. If when you are wet and drying the paint rubs off then it is not cured. Once it has cured then I wet and dry if necessary with 1500 grit with a paper which has seen some work load.

One thing that helps, with Acrylics. If you have a hair or bit when airbrushing then remove it with tweezers quickly spray over, at least with Vallejo, and it will fill in. The beauty of Vallejo is that it flattens out.

If the Acrylics have dried but not cured I carefully agitate a hair or bit or a small bit of grit and they come away. When cure a gentle agitation with a 1500 grit will flatten out and be all masked with the next coat.

To avoid a lot of the above. Do not vacuum clean the room before airbrushing. Open doors slowly avoids air swishing around disturbing the air. Brush the piece to be painted with a soft large brush or use a tack cloth to get rid of dust and hairs. If you are plagued with dust or hairs then use a small indoor garden spray filled with water and spray above the area you are going to spray in which will ground a lot of hair and bits.. All helps.

Lauire

T

Tibbs

Thanks lauire, all the info helps..... I know the airbrushing just takes practice, and it's getting better, trial and error is the best learning curve. It really is just the rubbing down where I'm a bit more nervous... I'm not looking for perfect (yet;)).... Just trying to get the basics right.

L

Laurie

Just read your piece again Amos and I can see I missed a piece of your question.

I had the same problem. Trying to cover everything in one go. Again not sure what paint you are using but on % I would think acrylics.

To help with airbrushing it is better to put on two thin coats. Vallejo Air , probably like other acrylics, applied in thin coats will not lose your detail at all.

Both coats I use about 25% thinners. Try on a piece of paper or an old drinks bottle. Just pull the trigger back enough to start seeing the paint very slowly build up. Bring the brush backwards and forwards across the piece but always parallel to the object being painted. If the first coat perhaps looks thin not to worry the second will do the job. Wait an hour and you can then give a second coat (Acrylics). This way you will get an nice even finish without lumps bumps and curtains (where the paint slumps). I try not to get what looks like a wet finish. For me if I do then I have over wetted with paint.

What paint are you using Amos ? I have indicated Vallejo Air. Other paints may need a different approach.

Laurie

T

Tibbs

Thanks agian laurie, have been using acrylics, reeves, wife brought them, they seem ok, have to thin them a lot for the airbrush, maybe i just need to do as you suggest and try thinner coats, and not worry to much about how much im putting on.

Thanks

D

dubster72

I would seriously consider buying some paints that are designed to be used in model making.

Pigments etc are formulated both for covering a plastic surface & for passing through an airbrush. I'm not sure how much of your issues are down to using a generic type of acrylic, buy I'd bet it's not helping ;)

T

Tibbs

I know you are right, and a proper paints for airbrushes are on my wish list, but as this is all new to me, I didn't want to start laying out for a collection of paints only to find I don't enjoy the hobby..... But I think it's safe to say that I'm really enjoying it.... So looks like I may have to butter the wife up ( buy troll bead) and start spending again... Hopefully help my cause.

Thanks amos

L

Laurie

Think you will enjoy it a lot better Amos if you get some proper model paints as Patrick has pointed out. Reeves paints are designed for artist work not for airbrush work.

As you are starting I would suggest Vallejo Air which is designed for airbrushing. They give a good grounding in airbrushing being easy to use and kind and forgiving.

After achieving some success you can always try others but until that time just get used to one paint. Also use Vallejo thinners as they have the same ingredients as the paint. Finally you will be best off with Vallejo airbrush Cleaner as again it is designed to deal with their paints.

With Vallejo you will I am certain see a great leap forward. I certainly did and would probably have thrown in the towel if I had not found them.

Best of luck.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A cheap solution... toothpaste. Just the cheap white type (which is also the best for your teeth by the way). Squeeze on, polish with soft cloth and.... da daaaaaaa!

Bonus; it don't taste like c"#p when you touch your lips while polishing!!!!

3000grit sounds a bit rough. I would go for something a bit finer.

Ian M

T

Tibbs

\ said:
A cheap solution... toothpaste. Just the cheap white type (which is also the best for your teeth by the way). Squeeze on, polish with soft cloth and.... da daaaaaaa!Bonus; it don't taste like c"#p when you touch your lips while polishing!!!!

3000grit sounds a bit rough. I would go for something a bit finer.

Ian M
Great tip..... And luckily something we have at hand:D....... And out of curiousity, how come this thread doesnt appear in the recents?

T

Tibbs

Ok, just applied the toothpaste tip....... Boom, thats just what i was looking for, just gets rid of the roughness without taking to much paint, im very happy.

Big thanks