Rye Field Model kits

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking at a few kits and found a Rye Field Model kit with a decent price tag. What are these kits like to build? Never built one of these before but the kit i'm looking at (Jagdpanther) is quite a bit cheaper than the Meng kit i have my eyes on

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I have one sitting waiting for me become competent enough to attempt. But, based on the instructions and parts, looks ok to my inexperienced eyes. Came with PE, and build yer own tracks. (Challenger 2 - 1/35).

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I built their Sherman VC (unconverting it to a regular V) and thought it was pretty good. Some small issues with assembly being a bit fiddly in places, but good detail. IMHO as far as this Sherman is concerned, it is difficult to say whether I prefer this or its Asuka counterpart, as they have slightly different strengths but neither feels better than the other. Chances are much the same applies to other vehicles they do.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Looking at a few kits and found a Rye Field Model kit with a decent price tag. What are these kits like to build? Never built one of these before but the kit i'm looking at (Jagdpanther) is quite a bit cheaper than the Meng kit i have my eyes on
I'm just building RM-5033, the first Pz.IV they released. It’s a 2 in 1 kit of the last variant, the Ausf J, and it is top notch.

I pitched one of Dragon's most accurate Ausf J' s, kit 6575 against Border Models BT-008 last year, and although their instructions can be frustrating and the number of options available in their huge sprue count, more confusing still, I still felt it a better build experience and end product. I'm dual building the RFM Ausf J and Tamiya's first Ausf J from 30 years ago and although the outcome comparison is already a foregone conclusion, I think the RFM kit is excellent in almost every way.
The mouldings are finely detailed, the engineering is superb, parts are cleverly attached to the sprue gates to avoid damaging the detail, and the instructions are faultless. Not something I could say about the other three Ausf J's so far.

I really don't have anything bad to say my experience. The kit was great value too.

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have one sitting waiting for me become competent enough to attempt. But, based on the instructions and parts, looks ok to my inexperienced eyes. Came with PE, and build yer own tracks. (Challenger 2 - 1/35).
You made a good enough job on the last one...

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I built the RFM M-ATV and it was great kit, certainly on par with the Meng Husky that I also built (and is a similar type of vehicle).

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've now got two in the stash.... Not built yet but all the reviews and build blogs are very positive as the others have said.

I'm sure I read in a review of the Panther when it first came out (It has a full interior) , set a new standard for 1/35th Panthers....

HTH.

Andrew

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Glad I found this, as I've been looking at RFMs Tiger 1 with interior for next build, after I finish HMS Kent. Watched a YouTube of the build and looks well detailed with parts fitting together the way they should. So good to hear good things about the company from people.