SAAB AJ-37 Viggen (I'm still here)

Z

Ziper_it

Dear mates,

For many reasons lately my contribution has been limited or missing:

- because of a tech issue in the software I'm using.

- because I was not fully trusting the project i'm working on for many reasons: not my favorite subject, not the best kit, not sure about the results.

- but also because I thought that not posting here left me more time to concentrate on the results instead of rushing to show results here.

Now that tech issue is solved, I have more confidence on the project and results are showing I'm ready to post again.

But what? I need to take some pictures, then I'll be back to you.

Francesco

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Francesco I know how you feel but there is never a need to rush just to show us eager watchers always take your time, and post when your ready we will still be here waiting.

Also I find that sometimes when I have a problem many on here will help out and showing it gives them a better understanding of what is needed to sort it out

L

Laurie

Really great stuff Fransesco. Look forward to reading your writings and seeing your models

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to seeing the new project Francesco. Take your time mate, I take months just to finish a 1/72 kit. Enjoy it first and then show us your pride and joy.

Z

Ziper_it

Nice words, thanks a lot.

I've been able to take a picture of one part which I consider finished and ready to paint.

View attachment 85252

Can someone guess what we're speaking about?

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405106297.855700.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
always look forward to seeing your post Francesco, and do it in your owe time, we will still be hear,:cool:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Can someone guess what we're speaking about?Francesco
It could be a jet of some description, that looks like the basis of an ejection seat.

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you Monica and Joe.

Slowly progressing here but that's fine, as it is growing as expected and I'm not leaving out anything (you know that "leave it as it is, no one will notice" or "it won't be visible once painted").

Ok, let me tell you something about the kit. Some time ago I got 7 small kits for 3euro each. Not my preferred kits or planes, but 3 Eur was a good excuse to practice (and justify the purchase to my wife). I built the small spitfire with my 6yo daughter (yes, it's the first purple spitfire) and decided to build the AJ-37 Viggen on my own.

View attachment 85599

That's an old kit, with fuzzy shapes, not perfect fit, positive panel lines. A little bit of work and ...

Cut ailerons/flaps ...

Rescribe panel lines ...

Scratch the FLG well ...

Scratch the engine ...

Cut the aft thrust window and scratch the panels ...

Redo/scratch under wing pilons and bulges ...

Scratch the seat ...

Scratch the IP ...

View attachment 85609

View attachment 85610

View attachment 85611

View attachment 85612

For the first time I used mr.surfacer with my AB and all I can say is "great!".

Still have to complete putting and sanding and scribe some panels lines.

Thank you for looking.

Francesco

Edit: oh yes, Joe, it's a jet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405789579.502082.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405789951.729524.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405789965.674389.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405789978.104758.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405789993.735278.jpg

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you fracesco for reminding me of a classic jet :smiling3: this was a favourite aircraft from when I was a nipper and I will be looking in on this :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You really like to make work for yourself don't you Francesco, All the alterations and scratch building in 1/144.

But I have faith in you and I'm watching all the way

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you mates.

Just finished priming and glueing ailerons and flaps. I'm not very happy with the groove in the left "canard" aileron so I may fix it tomorrow.

I can't probably do better than this so I think she's ready for polishing and paint.

View attachment 85812

Thanks for looking,

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406151213.459352.jpg

D

dubster72

You're doing an amazing job Francesco, 1/72 is hard enough, let alone braille scale!

Z

Ziper_it

Good morning.

Yesterday I reshaped the air intakes on the fuselage, added the anti collision light, rescribed two panels on the bottom and added hinges to ailerons and flaps.

Then I tried to polish (it's so small!) and sprayed.

I decided to use alclad polished alu and tried to darken few panels with thinned burnt iron and then alu. Area around the engine and reverse thrust has bbeen sprayed with burnt iron and jet exhaust.

All this in low light so I had to wait this morning to check the results.

Beside some overspray tgat can be easily fixed, there are few points that will be hard to retouch without redoing the whole.

View attachment 85877

View attachment 85878

View attachment 85879

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406270101.196577.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406270113.608669.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406270126.751803.jpg

D

dubster72

That's a really nice finish Francesco, how you do it in that scale.....

I can't say much about the roundels, if they're correct for the plane then go for it.