Scale engine sound generator

R

ray

Hi everyone in this forum, this is my first post, so forgive me if it's a daft question and in the wrong area.

I'm new to modeling and would love to build a decent scale model WW1 plane.

However, the flying scale models I have seen are (to my mind) let down by the sound of the engine (even 4 strokes sound to me more like a moped !)

I have searched the net for an aero-engine synthesizer to fit to a scale model but no joy so far. -Has anyone ever produced a small & light enough loudspeaker system to fit in a 'plane ??

My idea would be to "sample" a real engine, run it from an audio chip & sync the frequency to the motor revs.

Has anyone tried it ??

Any sugestions, ideas, greatfully received

Ray

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Hello and welcome Ray,I dont want to appear to be putting a negative answer to this idea however I just cannot see it working ? a lot of the noise from model engines emitts from the propeller,also the bark from the silencer would need some taming,people have experimented with baffle arrangements or mouse add ons to curb that awful din,if the initial sound source could be cured then I know a man who makes sound modules electronically activated,if you crack this one then you are on the way to becoming a wealthy man !

Hi everyone in this forum, this is my first post, so forgive me if it's a daft question and in the wrong area.I'm new to modeling and would love to build a decent scale model WW1 plane.

However, the flying scale models I have seen are (to my mind) let down by the sound of the engine (even 4 strokes sound to me more like a moped !)

I have searched the net for an aero-engine synthesizer to fit to a scale model but no joy so far. -Has anyone ever produced a small & light enough loudspeaker system to fit in a 'plane ??

My idea would be to "sample" a real engine, run it from an audio chip & sync the frequency to the motor revs.

Has anyone tried it ??

Any sugestions, ideas, greatfully received

Ray

N

new to trains

i have no idea about sound units for aircraft, but on a similar thread the new sound units from JCC seen at the recent warwickshire model boat show were amazing, bofors gun sound units, compound steam engines, multicylinder deisel, and loads of others, all can be linked To RX channels so the sounds can be controlled or speeded up and down in sync with motor revs..... fantastic items they have on sale.....

R

ray

Well, thanks for the rapid reply !

I think you have quite rightly pointed out the real hurdles to overcome !

-I like the end bit (..becoming a wealthy man !)

I still think there are possibilities. -For example, the whine of a brushless motor could very well sound like a supercharger if mixed with a "merlin piston engine" sound.

I might try a few experiments (I'm an ex- recording engineer, hence the interest).

Cheers

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Thats the chap,his name is Jim,he has worked very hard to perfect these units.

i have no idea about sound units for aircraft' date=' but on a similar thread the new sound units from JCC seen at the recent warwickshire model boat show were amazing, bofors gun sound units, compound steam engines, multicylinder deisel, and loads of others, all can be linked To RX channels so the sounds can be controlled or speeded up and down in sync with motor revs..... fantastic items they have on sale.....[/quote']

A

adzam

i`m not sure if your aware of this barry, but your friends products are causing serious ripples throught the model boat world, i beleive he`s making other manufacturers have a good look at their items due to the excellent quality and relative cost of the products as well as the simplicity of setup, i have purchased some of these items i have a deisel generator and fog horn fitted to a large tug, i had a comment made on it`s first outing ` all you need is the smell of diesel , and it`ll be complete `

so , if you could pass on my thanks to your friend barry , i`d be very appreciative :respect1:

R

ray

thanks to everyone for all the info.

Is there a web site for JCC ? I can't find it with Google.

Ray

B

Bunkerbarge

Go to www.jjc-electronics.com

I have his triple expansion steam recip engine linked to a slave telegraph and steam whistle unit. Just for kicks I connected it through the hi-fi and set it off with the radio while I was upstairs with the missis. Scared the life out of the missis!!

He is also a very nice guy who is very helpfull but he works away a lot so you may not get an instant response. His wife is also very helpfull and must be well used to dealing with the likes of us by now.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** I certainly will convey good wishes to Jim,as Bunkerbarge explains he works away for long periods in places like Poland,he is so keen that he builds the units from his suitcase workbench,then gets home and completes them there,I have seen him go through a few phases and taught him to fly r/c aircraft,he then went onto helicopters building a large Longbow Apache which he used as a test bed for some of the gun firing gizmo's,thence to boats which he told me last time that were now his scene.

I am delighted that all of the hard work that he has placed into JCC Electronics has helped you lads.

i`m not sure if your aware of this barry, but your friends products are causing serious ripples throught the model boat world, i beleive he`s making other manufacturers have a good look at their items due to the excellent quality and relative cost of the products as well as the simplicity of setup, i have purchased some of these items i have a deisel generator and fog horn fitted to a large tug, i had a comment made on it`s first outing ` all you need is the smell of diesel , and it`ll be complete ` so , if you could pass on my thanks to your friend barry , i`d be very appreciative :respect1:

B

Bluewavestudios

Nice Idea Ray,

Yes I can see how you would do this using a sample loop of a real recorded engine (I am a recording engineer too by the way) but as Barry rightly stated, you will have to work out a way of killing the real sound of the model engine first so that your sample loop could be heard clearly.

Four strokes aren't that bad, it does again depend on what 4 stroke engine you are using and whether any after silencers are fitted as they all do vary in signature. Some are very realistic whereas some are as you say, like mopeds.

Good luck anyway, I like the idea and cannot see why, with the exception of the above, it cannot be done.

Regards..........Mark.