Scotties Bergpanzer Buffalo.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Work has started on the interior and exterior of the upper hull. It's hard to see from the pictures but I found some really fine sand amongst my stuff. After applying a thin coat of PVA the sand was dusted over left for a while then shaken off. I am quite pleased with the result, it does need a bit of tidying up to square the patches back up. Grab handles were added to replace the moulded blocks on the kit. On the front hatch the clamp handle was added.

DSCF4269.JPG

DSCF4268.JPG

The plan is to have the hatches open to show the interior. The kit has you glue all the hatches shut to allow you to fir the armour pack. My plan if it works is to have the hatches open and then have the armour pack as a separate item, but have the rest of the bar armour fitted to the vehicle.

This is one of the interior walls which will be seen through the open hatch so I have added some detail including the comms cables.

DSCF4271.JPG

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The anti slip has turned out very nicely. I'll bank that idea!
It does seem to be ok I guess the secret is getting sand that is fine enough. This was very fine sand but I sifted it through a pair of the wife's old tights to get really fine grit.
The comms cables are sure a sight to behold !
cheers Ron.
That sand and glue idea has worked very well. Those added cables really do look the part.
So glad to see you're sticking to just "a few tweaks".
Jim, yes just a few don't want to go overboard ;)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking really quite Scottie-ish. Superb extra detailing going on there Paul.
A question if I may Paul. The comms cables, brass or copper wire I assume. How do you paint them, type of undercoat (if used) and paint. I have been planning to add similar curly comms cables to my SK build and while making isn't a problem, I have wondered about the painting of them!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Adding some detail to the inside I do have some reference pics but the wiring just looks like spaggetti so I have just added a few cables here and there to add a bit of interest. there are still some components to be added but they are waiting to be painted. The interior is white but I think I will go for an off white as some of the parts are white against the background.

DSCF4272.JPGDSCF4273.JPG

DSCF4274.JPG

The cylinders have had some pipe work added and this total speculation as again the picture showing this area is slightly different ans again a mass of cables. The white box will be secured to the hull tub later.
It would have been easier to detail if the interior was a seperate tub that could be dropped in with out havint to match the upper and lower sections.

DSCF4277.JPG

As the doors will be open I have detailed the interior of the door.

DSCF4278.JPG

comments welcome
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking really quite Scottie-ish. Superb extra detailing going on there Paul.
A question if I may Paul. The comms cables, brass or copper wire I assume. How do you paint them, type of undercoat (if used) and paint. I have been planning to add similar curly comms cables to my SK build and while making isn't a problem, I have wondered about the painting of them!
Thanks Doug,

They are copper wire in this instant. As to painting I just prime everything with acrylic black while preshading. Then paint with whatever colour they need to be. That said they don't stand up to much and will chip very easily.
The other guys may have an answer how to protect them.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Doug,

They are copper wire in this instant. As to painting I just prime everything with acrylic black while preshading. Then paint with whatever colour they need to be. That said they don't stand up to much and will chip very easily.
The other guys may have an answer how to protect them.
They will be inside the cabin so after installing there should be no need to touch again!!! (Note - need to remind SWMBO - Hands Off).
Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It does seem to be ok I guess the secret is getting sand that is fine enough.
Apparently you can buy very fine sand at pet stores, for use in bird cages. But if you live near a beach, you can also just go get some there, which is why I said “apparently” :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Silver sand, used when bonding block paving is extremely fine. But beware, some places advertise it but it’s actually courser building sand.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You can buy really fine sand from pet shops, for chinchillas, who like to roll about in it.
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm lucky as I work in a school with a big sand pit lol. If anybody wants a bit let me know.