Scotties GMC CCKW 352 1/35

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
his is my offering for the group build. It is the Hobby Boss offering of the GMC CCKW 352 with MG ring. GMC for the General Motors Corps , "C" designed 1942, "C" Conventional cab, "K" all wheel drive and "W" Duel rear axles.
The box is of the normal type and contains 15 sprues moulded in a light tan colour, 1 cab moulding, 1 clear sprue, 2 sheets of etch and some string, poly caps and a sheet of decals for one vehicle. The mouldings look to be fairly nicely detailed and fairly crisp with very no or very little flash but on some parts some injector pin marks.

DSCF3903.JPG

Here are some sprue shots

DSCF3906.JPG

DSCF3907.JPG

DSCF3908.JPG

I intend to build this out of the box with a few tweaks along the way, sorry but I have to :smiling:

This is the first group build I have entered on here so I hope I get things right and don't break the rules. Please join me and keep me on the right track with any comments good or bad.

Cheers
Scottie

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm in Scottie although I'll lay odds you won't be able to stop yourself doing a little "tweaking". Thanks for explaining the designation. That's a lot of parts for a truck. It's usually track links that boost parts count. Bet the chassis has some fiddly bits.

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm in Scottie although I'll lay odds you won't be able to stop yourself doing a little "tweaking". Thanks for explaining the designation. That's a lot of parts for a truck. It's usually track links that boost parts count. Bet the chassis has some fiddly bits.
Good to see you mate, I think so as well. I will probably do a bit of scratching as that is the fun bit for me.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Another handsome truck, this GB is certainly bringing them out.

Looking forward to watching you work your magic on this. I can't see your OOB intention lasting long lol

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice one, it’ll be interesting to see how you detail this one :smiling3: Are your tweaks going to include correcting the cab shape, BTW? Apparently the easiest way to do that is to swap it wholesale for one from an Italeri closed-cab CCKW.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another handsome truck, this GB is certainly bringing them out.

Looking forward to watching you work your magic on this. I can't see your OOB intention lasting long lol
Andy,
Your right I have failed already as I have been tweaking already.
Nice one, it’ll be interesting to see how you detail this one :smiling3: Are your tweaks going to include correcting the cab shape, BTW? Apparently the easiest way to do that is to swap it wholesale for one from an Italeri closed-cab CCKW.
Jakko,
I was going to try and build this OOB but I have failed already. I'm not sure what is wrong with the cab but to be honest as long as it looks like the truck I'm trying to build then I'm not to worried.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Construction has started and sorry but I have already fallen off the OBB plan. As with most wheeled kits the engine and chassis are built first.
The engine is nicely detailed, the fan belt moulding however was equivalent to using 2 x 4's for the belt, so the belt was cut away from pulleys and replaced with masking tape. Then a bit of pipework was added plus plug leads. Finally a wing nut was added to the top of the air filter

DSCF3910.JPG

Next up is the chassis, not much done yet, but the spars have been built to allow them to dry. the rear towing pintle was drilled and a split pin pushed through and retained with a bit of twisted wire chain.

DSCF3911.JPG

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The chassis is altogether and taped up to dry this has been removed now. It all went together without any problems..

DSCF3912.JPG

I have tried to replicate the jerry can carriers fixed to the front bumper, it was all made from brass sheet as was the front bumper itself as the kit one was to thick. It was all soldered together and still needs a lot of cleanong up.

DSCF3918.JPG

Finally for this update. I have added a few details to the winch plus a home made winch rope, not to happy with that might make a new one.

DSCF3915.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good. I find soldering brass is strong and usually works well. You've done a fine job. Are you planning to have the engine on show?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
I prefer to solder when I can as you say it is stronger. I will paint everything up on the engine and will decide when it's time to fit the bonnet :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Didn't think you would last long without doing something different to add to the detail Paul. With you on the winch rope ! brass picture wire in nice and tight .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Didn't think you would last long without doing something different to add to the detail Paul. With you on the winch rope ! brass picture wire in nice and tight .
I agree, rope now changes and I am a lot happier with the look and scale.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice improvements. This short wheelbase version was most often used as an arty prime mover, like other prime movers (Mack & Corbit) the dual spares are in case of deep mud or snow, as they could be attached to the front axle for additional traction.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice improvements. This short wheelbase version was most often used as an arty prime mover, like other prime movers (Mack & Corbit) the dual spares are in case of deep mud or snow, as they could be attached to the front axle for additional traction.
Paul,
I have seen pictures of that. There are also pictures of a track to go round the wheels on the twin axle versions.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The chassis is now done. I have added a few rivets that were missing. I haven't added air lines or detailed up the brake cylinder as they won't be seen. I did add the front suspension tie bolts as the kit ones had a large gap around the joint. Finally some brake lines. They are held out the way with springs on the real thing I might give them ago later.

DSCF3921.JPG

DSCF3922.JPG

Tomorrow hopefully will be a pre shade then a base coat.

cheers
Scottie