Scratch building a small wall in the simplest way

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Last year I built a wall for a dio that came out rather well and have decided to build another for the base of the camper van I'm currently working on so I thought I would share the process with you all.

This is a really cheep and easy way to get a good looking wall

First your tools

A scalpel or other sharp knife

A ruler or other straight edge

A pencil View attachment 79086

Materials

Pva or similar wood glue

A thin sheet of balsa wood

A hard type of board or wood beam in this case I'm using a beam View attachment 79087

Now the process

Take your sheet of balsa and mark out your required size of brick or stone like so , I wouldn't pay to much attention to perfect size bricks or stone in fact irregular size pieces look more natural View attachment 79088

Now slice them up into bricks withe knife View attachment 79089

Now stick them to the board or beam your using for the wall with the pva like so and leave to dry completely. View attachment 79090

End of part one

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Si :smiling3:

Part two

Now all of your bricks or stones are on and it's dry distress the brick , a finger will do the job then file off loose bits View attachment 79091

Now you fill all the gaps with poly filler , now you can do this by actually filling every gap around each brick or you can just plaster it all over an wipe over with a damp cloth , I plaster it View attachment 79097

As you can see you get a nice texture to the surface and any holes give that worn look
Once this starts to go off smooth over with your finger lightly so the bricks look smoother View attachment 79098

Now wait to dry if you are doing both sides of the wall you will need to let one side dry first before starting on the other
End of part two

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start and dose look good and a nice step by step , good of you to take the time to show

i do think maybe some guild line with , stone or brick size may help some people as well,

like mix the sizes abit like use a 3ml balsa,depron, and do the stones/bricks 6ml x 8ml, or 7ml x 9ml, just a a bit off guild for people who need help with scale

hope your ok with me saying that :rolleyes: dont wont to step on toes

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Hi Moni thanks for your comment , size isn't really an issue for this as you only need a rough idea of size this one I'm building now is for a 1/25 scale van but could be used for a 1/35 scale wall as well so it's very board in it's application

Part three

Once wall is completely dry give it a liberal coat of primer and leave to dry then distress some of the bricks on the edges to give a more natural look like so View attachment 79153

This cracks the filler and gives a rougher texture to the wall
End of part three

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Informative and nice use of simple materials to achieve a great wall.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Si :smiling3:

And the finale

Just paint and weather as you want

View attachment 79156

View attachment 79157

View attachment 79158

The cost of this is very negligible , the beam of wood I used as the base was £1.30 , the balsa wood was £1.99 and that for a pack containing about 10 pieces of different lengths and thickness and I only used one piece , filler was from a pound shop , so for around £5 you can get a good looking wall :smiling3:

I hope this has been of help

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg