Shenanigans 4: Italeri 1/35 M6 Gun Motor Carriage

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

I got this to add to my last armour build, but decided to do it as a stand-alone. I had anticipated three crew members serving the gun, re the box art, but the kit just includes a rather poor driver figure (it's an old re-boxed Airfix offering). I had anyway ordered these Verlinden figures, which should fit very well:

These look superb. They would have put the Tamiya figures to shame if I'd used them in the same dio.

The sprue shots for the M6:

Looking them over it seems that the toolmaker was terrified of the thing sticking in the mould as there are raised release points on every part, including the front grill:

That will take some delicate clean up. Some of the parts are also pretty poorly done. These are meant to be carbines in leather holsters:

More like medical crutches. These will probably be dropped and replaced.

I decided to get started and have built the chassis:

I've only ever built one of these Italeri kits before and I had forgotten what they could be like. Apart from the mould release scars, there was also quite a lot of flash, and seams running through everything. Added to that, a so-so fit of parts, lack of locating pins, and unclear instructions and the air was soon turning blue. However, I got it done, and will now give it an initial coat of paint before getting on with the bodywork.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Blimey Peter! Is there no stopping you?? :smiling:.

We are certainly being treated to a fest of PDiddy masterpieces. From armour to busts and back again. Take care with the figures. They certainly look the DB's. Will be paying full attention on this one. Good luck my friend

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Not the best of kits by the sound of things but you'll work your usual magic. Figures do indeed look good. Bet they cost more than the kit :smiling3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I've got the bit between my teeth.....

Jim. I'll give it my best shot. KIt £12.99, figues £13.55.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it's an old re-boxed Airfix offering
This is a very old kit that goes back all the way to the MAX Dodge weapons carrier released in 1974; the 37 mm M6 GMC was first released by Peerless Max in 1976, and was indeed also put out by Airfix a few years later (all according to Scalemates :smiling3:). This goes a long way to explaining why it’s going to take some work.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jakko - Yes, explains a lot. I hope it doesn't defeat me.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve built the 6×6 version (a decade or two ago) and found it basically sound. Sure, it may take a bit more work than a state-of-the-art kit, but I’m sure it won’t be all that difficult, given your good job on the 75 mm mate GMC for example. It's not like you’ll be trying to put together a SKIF kit :smiling3:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
And it begins... I'm in....looking forward to this.... ;)

D

Deleted member 6559

Jakko - I must admit that the chassis looks OK now that it's together - at least all four wheels rest on the ground. I made the Italeri ambulance jeep a couple of years ago, which I presume is of similar vintage and that came together in the end, despite having similar issues.

Greg - Just a small set-up this time. Welcome aboard.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I must admit that the chassis looks OK now that it's together - at least all four wheels rest on the ground.
If you’ve got a softskin kit that has all four wheels on the ground, everything else is easy :smiling3:

I made the Italeri ambulance jeep a couple of years ago, which I presume is of similar vintage and that came together in the end, despite having similar issues.
The Jeeps are original Italeri models, so they may be quite different in design than the Beeps, even if they were released around the same time.

That said, I always liked the Italeri Jeeps too :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jakko - I don't think I've ever got all for wheels to rest on the ground, so I'd say it's a win so far!

I've painted the underside in mud colours and also painted the wheels, which will be weathered later. You'll notice a few seam lines etc underneath, but these have been left for obvious reasons (it won't be displayed overturned in a ditch).

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Just the right day to spend it at the bench modelling!

Good start with all 4 wheels on the deck, the kit does show it age, but I am sure it will be whipped into shape.

The figures look OK too, better than the last Tamiya ones.

I really did thing the armour modellers might get more than a couple of days relief from your speed building, but it seems not!

Have a good day at the bench.

Off to comment on your superbly painted Germanic bust

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

BINNED!!!!!!!!

A truly appalling kit. The sub-assemblies for the cabin and bonnet went OK, but then they just wouldn't fit onto the chassis. Part of the problem was that the rebate to take the bottom of the radiator was too narrow - I ended up cutting it off, then found that the chassis was too wide to take the bonnet sides. Any attempt to make it fit just caused gaps between the panels. Each miss-fit then had knock on consequences for the fit of the subsequent parts.

My fault for buying a cheap and very old kit. I'll probably continue with the figures and make them up into a little vignette.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Peter,
Sorry to hear of the ''binned'' item.... I've built quite a few of the WC carriers in different forms. but not this one, will steer clear I think.

So what is going to be your next challenge??????

Regards Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Mike. It really was a big pile of pooh! I'm carrying on with the figures, to make up into a little vignette.

To try and compensate for the disappointment caused today's debacle I constructed the figures and started painting the first:

These are lovely to paint, though the face was a struggle. Still very shiney - apologies.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A truly appalling kit. (…) My fault for buying a cheap and very old kit.
If you want to build a 37 mm GMC M6 anyway, you could buy the AFV Club WC 51:

122713-12660-pristine.jpg

and then add the Italeri parts for the gun and other M6-specific modifications to it. This should be an easy enough conversion, and AFV Club kits are pretty much guaranteed to fit better than 45-year-old Italeri ones :smiling3:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Hi Mike. It really was a big pile of pooh! I'm carrying on with the figures, to make up into a little vignette.

I have it's bigger cousin from Airfix , the Dodge Personnel Carrier - Series 8 - 08363-2 ( it contains the spare chassis for the smaller model )
Link to box art
It is not much better, i started it over 20 years ago and it is still only partially completed in its box.
The quality of the molds was not good.
Will however finish it one day and make a modern kit to put beside it as a comparison.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jakko - Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've had enough of Dodges for now - broke anyway. I have a PzKfpw IV in the stash which I might try next.

Gary - Yes, very poor quality moulds, but it was the fit issues that defeated me. It looked like they'd mixed up parts for different versions. No amount of fettling could have made them fit - only major rebuilding. Life's too short.

D

Deleted member 6559

I'm going to give up on this one. Can't be bothered with the figures either.

Tamiya PzKpfw IV in the offing. One I've made before, so hopefully.....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Onwards and upwards Peter. The Panzer IV will be worth waiting for.