Shenanigans 6: Tamiya PzKpfw II

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Back into the very dim and distant past for this one - 1971 no less. I know that there are all sorts of problem areas with this kit, and that it has been superseded by many new versions, but I fancied an easy build, and ultimately my main aim is to practice painting armour.

Sprue shots:

As you can see, very few parts, with most of the detail on the deck being moulded in one piece. However, what there is crisply rendered. The figures are pretty terrible, so won't be used.

I thought I'd make a start, and hey presto, it's built! I don't think I've ever made a simpler kit:

Just some tools and stowage to add. I had thought of painting the DAK version as per the box, but some of the detail is a bit wanting and will be better served with a dark base and lots of highlighting.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning, again Peter

Under 60 pieces? if I remember correctly?

Ideal if painting is your forte and goal.

I loved doing my II G DAK, it is a great blank canvas for whatever you want to try.

Have fun with the paint today

Which figures? unless you head swap the tank commander?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Yes the sprues aren't even lettered A. B. C etc, the part numbers just being spread across both.

Commander figure will probably be the other I prepared for the PzKpfw IV, but I also knocked this one up:

Might work. Also been toying with the idea of mounting them together after all. I found an old base that looks useable:

It's meant to be desert, but could pass for a chalky surface. If not I could darken it with washes. It may do for photography purposes as least.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
There were plenty of Ausf D's in the desert that kept their original Panzergrau colour Peter. If you decide to do the Panzer II in DAK colours it would be a nice contrast. However a bit of dust on the Ausf D may be required lol

D

Deleted member 6559

Didn't know that Steve - dammit! I've chopped apart the only serviceable DAK figure I had, so it's going have to be a long, hot, dry dusty Summer in Northern Europe.

The basic vehicle is built and painted:

I don't know why this is going so quickly apart from the fact that it's a simple vehicle.

I'm now going to sort out some stowage.

D

Deleted member 6559

A couple of items of stowage added and it's now finished:

Now to sort out the base...

D

Deleted member 6559

All done:

I did mount the two tanks together as you can see. I put some darker washes over the base to try and match the tones of the weathering on the vehicles, and I've decided that we're at the beginning of the Balkans Campaign in October 1940 - that would explain the Mediterranean style terrain.

The only other addition to the base, apart from some more rocks and twigs, was the Tamiya oil drum with a map resting on it (a reduced photocopy).

Last edited by a moderator:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very, very nice Peter,
Your subtle style shines through yet again!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That's looking really nice, I love your 'smooth-soft' paint style very much. Looks like they were made to be together. Thanks for sharing the projects Peter :thumb2:

Cheers
Steven

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Well done, two old kits brought up to 21st century finish.
Mike.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter
Excellent work - reminicent of Francois Verlinden's work.

Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for your kind words chaps. Very much appreciated.

The only downside to this is that I've got nowhere to put it - it might have to go straight into storage. At least with single figures there always seems to be a bit of space left in the cabinet.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you sold that panio, that would give much needed room .:smiling3:
Suberb Peter, as always .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Well, looked in to see how it was going and hey presto, it is done and dusted

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised given the speed at which you complete figures

It may not be very accurate or detailed but that is another cracking finish :thumb2:

R

RichardMo

outstanding anyway you look at it my friend lovely painting
Rick

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Love the finish and the the 2 old girls look the part and sit nicely together on the base.

Is there anything you could build and paint that would reduce your speed to only several times faster than the rest of us? LOL

Its a shame the diorama will get boxed but space is always at a premium for hobbies spilling into living space, and your busts should always get priority.

I auctioned off my Pz II G and donated the funds to running the very small forum that ran the build as a GB.

It could fund your next bigger project?

Some modellers have their work displayed in hobby shops to encourage customers, in exchange for another kit?

Where ever the base ends, you have done a great job on the tanks and figures.

Its getting colder soon, so pack away the Hawaiian shirts and shorts and back into the thermals LOL

Have a god day with your? whats next?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Katherine's recently been buying new music, so I guess the piano stays!

Simon - Even I have to admit that the PzKpfw II was pretty basic. I'd be keen to try an updated version to compare.

Rick - Very kind. Thank You.

Steve - I've got plenty of flat surfaces to paint display stuff on, but they're not under glass - still have memories of my mum dusting my stuff to pieces.

I think I'll start on the Protze next. I'm off to Lewes on Monday, so that should take me most of the way there.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Missed this completely. Result is great and the map on the oil drum is a nice touch.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's the one Peter! That is a wonderful grouping. Great to see you work your style on these classics. Short and sweet but a real joy to watch. Thanks for sharing