Simple LED Lighting

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi all.

I couldn't find a Janet and John guide on here, thought I'd ask.

For my next boat build, I want to add some simple lighting. As simple as: 12-15 candlelight colour (warm white?) LEDs, preferably flickering, connected to a battery box (not mains) I'll keep outside the model.

I know everything about this except:
What I need.
Where to get it.
How to get it to work.

My practical knowledge of electronics is exactly zero, so this needs to be something that Forrest Gump could understand.

I prefer the written word to video for this sort of stuff, although I'll refer to video afterwards if I need to see it done.

Over to you boffins.

Cheers,

Bobby

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew

LED lighting is much simpler than you might think. The best place to get supplies is a railway modelling site similar to this https://evandesigns.com/collections/hobby-leds I am sure you will find something similar in the UK. You can get many different sizes of bulb and flickering bulbs. The colour is not too vital since you can put a dab of clear paint on the bulb to add colour. A simple 9v battery can power all your bulbs and as you can see they come with most of the wires etc already attached. Just plug them together and flick the switch.
If you want really small pin lights you can always add a few fibre optic strings in which case one bulb can be used to light many tiny "candles". Many of the shops have tutorial pages that will tell you what you need.

Good luck

John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi all.

For my next boat build, I want to add some simple lighting. As simple as: 12-15 candlelight colour (warm white?) LEDs, preferably flickering, connected to a battery box (not mains) I'll keep outside the model.

What I need.
Where to get it.
How to get it to work.

My practical knowledge of electronics is exactly zero, so this needs to be something that Forrest Gump could understand.

I prefer the written word to video for this sort of stuff, although I'll refer to video afterwards if I need to see it done.

Over to you boffins.

Cheers,

Bobby
HI MR Conkers try this as this is where i get my leds from an they do warm white not sure about flickering though but they do all sorts of SMD 2MM leds an the leds come in a pack of 5 complete with about 10 inches of very fine wire an a resistor already fitted for 12v use an its from
www.layouts4u.net or tel 01354 652302 or mobile 07769 621620 but if you phone then after 10 am an they are in the uk an very good service ive found normally take about 3 days or so an ive never had a problem with them
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN how you get them t work is easy just get a 12v battery an fit the wire end of the resistor to the positive the red terminal on the batt an the negative wire to the neg on battery an just try one first so you get the general idea then just solder the resistors togeather an connect to the red terminal on the batt an jion the negs together an fit to the neg terminal an they will all light up
but if you look on my tiger thread on page 96 there are some different leds that are all jioned up about 20 or so on a strip but there are no resistors fitted to these hang on i'll post a pic for you below but these are 9v leds
hope this helps you but DO NOT PUT THE LEDS STRAIGHT TO A BATT WITHOUT THE RESISTOR FITTED OR THEY WILL FUSE
chrisIMG_6021.JPG

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew

When buying leds try to find ones with the resistor already attached. This will simplify your life and allow you to ignore any complications about resistor size or placement.

John

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have a set of warm white LED Christmas lights which cost less than £10 and have around 150 LEDs each with its own resistor where some have failed as they were used outdoors which I've cannibalised as it seemed stupid to bin - they work OK with a 9V PP3 battery.

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi all.

What I need.
Where to get it.
How to get it to work.

Over to you boffins.

Cheers,

Bobby
Bobby put this in your browser search.

Little while ago now that I produced simple set ups. Found that you can get sets. You will find in the above descriptions of what you want.

For simple layouts it is dead simple.

Laurie

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Order placed! Jennifer was very helpful, linked to just what I needed and advised me without trying to upsell. Will let you know how I get on...

• Love
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Order placed! Jennifer was very helpful, linked to just what I needed and advised me without trying to upsell. Will let you know how I get on...
Good to know Bobby, I've just put another order in today following an email asking a few questions.
She deservers to have them with her attitude of being helpful and truthful about what you need.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good to know Bobby, I've just put another order in today following an email asking a few questions.
She deservers to have them with her attitude of being helpful and truthful about what you need.
Absolutely. Quality service worth more than any discount in my opinion.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just an update, my items were posted next day, arrived the day after that, tested, everything perfect. Jennifer even included a basic How To with it for people like me to understand.

Highly recommended.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So obviously it would be a little gauche to not complete the thread title! Here's a very very very simple guide.

Things used:
Battery pack (with wired clip),12V here.
Batteries.
Connectors.
Pre-wired LEDs (with appropriate resistors).

20210209_113034.jpg

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Put batteries in battery pack.
20210209_113123.jpg
Attach battery clip to connector (I've used quick release ones for testing, will use the screw type for any model itself).
20210209_113209.jpg

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Then clip the LED's wires into the appropriate side of the connector (red to red, black to black). Attach to battery pack and Shazam.
20210209_113301.jpg
You will want to have your lights in parallel, not series, so join the two or more LEDs' wires together and simply connect as normal.
20210209_113420.jpg

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Only other thing I'll have is a switch, as this battery pack doesn't have one.

This one will require soldering, but can be tested at least here. The button simply replaces the red side of the connector above, battery red wire to button, button to LED red wire. Black wires stay in the connector.
20210209_114925.jpg
20210209_115101.jpg

As for sticking it in any model, each case will be different, but this model is a good basic start.

Hope this isn't too patronising for people who actually paid attention in Science classes when they were 11.