Single or Double action?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Which do you prefer? single or double action airbrush?

I've got a Iwata Hi-Line HP-BH, which is a nice airbrush and has a mac valve which I've never used and the pre-set handle which I rarely use, I started a Mustang yesterday and have primed it and give it a coat of white which went on fine but I do find now and again I get a bit of splatter which is annoying to say the least, so I thought I would give the Revolution M-2 a try, it has a .4mm needle and a 7ml cup (M-1 .3mm & a 1.5ml cup).

It's my first time with a single action and I wasn't sure what to expect, it has a pre-set handle and as I had a large area to spray I opened it up, I must say I was surprisingly surprised, I sprayed quite a bit and not once did it splutter and the finish was quite good, the only downside about the airbrush was the needle is fixed in the pre-set handle with a screw so to remove it you have to either pull it out from the back or remove the screw, I prefer to remove the nozzle and pull the needle out from the front so as not to pull paint back up in to the body, apart from that, impressed.

I've taken a couple of pictures which aren't brilliant as I used my phone under fluorescent lights

View attachment 61437

View attachment 61438

iwata1.jpg

iwata2.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I prefer the double action due to the fact you have more control over the amount of paint when spraying finer detail

First Name
Dave
I've got an Iwata revolution CR double action.Cant get the hang of the double action bit.So I've fitted the back end of a cheap airbrush I have.This has an adjustable stop to prevent me from pulling the lever back too far.So I've basically turned a double action into a single!.Works for me though.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I can see why you've done that, I sometimes get a twitchy trigger finger when I'm trying to do fine lines and mess it up

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I can see why you've done that, I sometimes get a twitchy trigger finger when I'm trying to do fine lines and mess it up
That's the problem I had .This way I can adjust the stop and test spray to get the flow I want before pointing it at the model.

First Name
Adrian
I only ever use a dual action now, it took some getting used to but I would neve go back now.

Adrian

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have fingers like pigs nipples so i need all the control i can get. So for me it is double action all the way.

T

tecdes

Started with a single action but then went to a Harder Steinbeck double action.

Found the difference incredible. Single action is OK when spraying large areas but then coming to a detailed bit where you have to get a bit closer with the brush found it was difficult not to put on to much paint with the horrible runs. Also not easy to put on mist coats.

With a dual action you can get in very close near to touching the surface.

Bit apprehensive when starting with a dual action but found it really easy. Really it is not dual action but two actions. Press down for release of air & keep it there no paint will be released also useful for drying. Just wonder John if you have released pressure on the air release then plunged down which may result in splatter.

Next action is not dual just pulling the trigger back & forwards to adjust paint.

Laurie