Small Electric models that really fly.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
After a bad skin problem caused by the prolonged use of glo-fuel I was unable to fly any of my IC models for over two and a half years,meanwhile I really started to look into small electric designs that would give me a minimum of 25 minutes flight time,the choice of small rubber model designs coupled with light weight did the trick and one of the successful designs was a twice sized Frog Tomtit,she is fitted with a Perkins 180 motor with gearbox and a slow fly propeller was found to be the best afer much experimentation.

The model has now clocked up over 75 flights and can and is flown from a tiny flying field which I call the cabbage patch for obvious reasons ! it is flanked by a canal,a graveyard,tall trees three sides and an allotment the other but it climbs out beautifully to perform in clean air.

For some years now I have been experimenting with electric but it is only with the advent of Li-poly batteries that I have started to have success with these small designs,once thet master the charge time things will get much better for the future.

Does anyone else out there have any experiences with electric flight ?

View attachment 11501

View attachment 12151

3318e230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wowbagger

Downloaded a bit of video the other night that showed Sabastiano Silvestri comlpeting an entire flight in the hover with an electric Funtana. This is the one that is normally powered by a 90 ic engine. Very cool. Somehow the blender noise just isn't right though...