Small scale figure Step by step (SBS). A 1/48 freebie Paul Hicks sculpt is the victim.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
After discovering (via your goodself, Tim) the joys of great quality brushes, I trashed my first Raphael 8404 in just a few months, because it was so enjoyable to use, I ignored the advice not to use it for drybrushing, for metallics or for inks.

I now have a batch of good quality synthetics that I use virtually all the time. My mantra now is: "What's the worst brush I can use for this job, that will still give me an acceptable finish?" - this means I only use best when they're absolutely required, not just because they're nice to use.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
After discovering (via your goodself, Tim) the joys of great quality brushes, I trashed my first Raphael 8404 in just a few months, because it was so enjoyable to use, I ignored the advice not to use it for drybrushing, for metallics or for inks.

I now have a batch of good quality synthetics that I use virtually all the time. My mantra now is: "What's the worst brush I can use for this job, that will still give me an acceptable finish?" - this means I only use best when they're absolutely required, not just because they're nice to use.
Good mantra to have Paul.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Looking good so far Andy, those highlights really make the detail pop before any paint gets added..... it's good to see your quality control supervisor doing exactly the same as mine does when I put a pot of clean water on the bench, (I think he thinks he's checking that the contents are safe for me to use...lol)

I like the brush holder you use, what make it is ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good so far Andy, those highlights really make the detail pop before any paint gets added..... it's good to see your quality control supervisor doing exactly the same as mine does when I put a pot of clean water on the bench, (I think he thinks he's checking that the contents are safe for me to use...lol)

I like the brush holder you use, what make it is ?
Cheers Chris…….as to the moggy, her great aunty used to do that as well, only more refined. She used to dip her paw in and lick the water off……

Nice to see karma in action as well…..for ages I kept calling Andy Bob by mistake, and now you’ve called me Andy by mistake…..LOL…..

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Cheers Chris…….as to the moggy, her great aunty used to do that as well, only more refined. She used to dip her paw in and lick the water off……

Nice to see karma in action as well…..for ages I kept calling Andy Bob by mistake, and now you’ve called me Andy by mistake…..LOL…..
Apologies Tim, been a long day ...

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry I missed the start Tim, I can vouch for the Game wash flesh , used it you put me into to it .Really helps to give shadow .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I haven't checked to see if any of my Micro Krauts have lips or eyes, but I like the idea you have for lip definition and winky painting hope I can put it to use. :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I haven't checked to see if any of my Micro Krauts have lips or eyes, but I like the idea you have for lip definition and winky painting hope I can put it to use. :thumb2:
Hi Rick. 1/87 is getting a bit small for eyes. At that scale I’d probably just leave the eye sockets in shadow unless the figure had dark skin colouration.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Probably time for a bit about painting equipment as well…….this is the kit I currently use.

View attachment 468146
Wet palette…….this is the larger one from Redgrass games. The black colouration comes from the time of RA flares and group builds…..I didn’t use it for a while and being damp and closed, the sponge and paper developed a bad case of pin mould! The paper was discarded, and the sponge and container have been dilute beach washed and rinsed. They no no longer have the problem, but the staining remains….

View attachment 468148
Water pots. The small ones are used to rinse brushes and dilute paint, the large one is mostly for the cat to drink out of when she gets thirsty….I regularly change the small ones when painting, and leave the large one with fresh water at the end of every session…..

View attachment 468149
Here’s the large one in use…..

View attachment 468150
Other tools…..dry palette for washes etc. Tweezers to remove stray hairs from the paint job, which always seems to happen….and brush cleaner. This is the most important thing you can buy in my opinion. Many years of trying other things, such as washing up liquid and bar soap have convinced my of this. I get much more life out of my brushes after moving to this stuff.

Next interminable episode will be about brushes…..

Cheers all

Tim
A quick question if I may Tim regarding the wet palette.

I use Vallejo model colours and always thin them with water. Do you thin them when using a wet palette.

Mike

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A quick question if I may Tim regarding the wet palette.

I use Vallejo model colours and always thin them with water. Do you thin them when using a wet palette.

Mike
I do, yes. That’s what the mixing brush is for. I just add a drop or two of water to the paint using the brush and mix it in until the mix is what you want. The wet palette keeps the paint at the working consistency for days. For very small amounts of paint the palette can supply the water if you just press lightly on it.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I do, yes. That’s what the mixing brush is for. I just add a drop or two of water to the paint using the brush and mix it in until the mix is what you want. The wet palette keeps the paint at the working consistency for days. For very small amounts of paint the palette can supply the water if you just press lightly on it.
Tim, I find that most of my (Vallejo) paints overdilute themselves, drawing water from the wet palette, in just a few hours - sometimes even quicker than that. It may be because of the palette I use (Dspiae), the level of the water I keep in it, the evaporation rate I'm getting (I keep the lid ajar) - what do you think?

The day after a painting session the paints on my palette will be too thin and often separated, too.

So I've taken to using really tiny amounts of paint each session, and renewing the palette colours for each subsequent session. (I can often wipe the palette clean to restart, which extends the life of each sheet.)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Tim, I only have one white metal figure yet to be found in my stash so this will be interesting.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I'm happily making like a sponge and speaking up as much info as I can to help with any future attempts I might make ....

Nick

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim, I find that most of my (Vallejo) paints overdilute themselves, drawing water from the wet palette, in just a few hours - sometimes even quicker than that. It may be because of the palette I use (Dspiae), the level of the water I keep in it, the evaporation rate I'm getting (I keep the lid ajar) - what do you think?

The day after a painting session the paints on my palette will be too thin and often separated, too.

So I've taken to using really tiny amounts of paint each session, and renewing the palette colours for each subsequent session. (I can often wipe the palette clean to restart, which extends the life of each sheet.)
Ah, the joys of osmosis……
Happens to me sometimes Paul, but more with some colours than others. Reds are awful for it, black is very good, staying at the right consistency for a long time. Diluted paint is less affected by this problem as well.
I don’t keep my wet palette that “wet” , if that makes sense, so that might reduce the problem. The redgrass games paper controls water permeability better than the Daley Rowney stuff I used before as well, so that may minimise the problem.
If I want to use a colour that this has happened to, by the way, I just wick off the excess water from the top using a scrap of kitchen towel and add a drop of matt medium to remix the paint.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim, I only have one white metal figure yet to be found in my stash so this will be interesting.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble
I treat them exactly the same as plastic figures Richard.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm happily making like a sponge and speaking up as much info as I can to help with any future attempts I might make ....

Nick
Cheers Nick. If anything is unclear, just shout out….