Small scale WW2 dioramas

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Great stuff. I can see how these micro dios become addictive. Looking at the photos it's hard to appreciate just how small they are. I love the street scene. Are the buildings scratch built?
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
most of today was spend drawing up some detailed plans of the bar billiards table I am about to start building, but I found enough time to work on the Stug:

I used to love playing bar billiards in the pub - when you could find one that had it - but pool has taken over.... Shame.

Would love to see the table once it's finished.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Peter. Love the Stug Dio!!

Outstanding work at this scale.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Billiards & snooker were not my games as the adults took up the few tables available in my misspentyout.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys
thanks for the kind comments.

Jim. - its not too late to add some to your list from Santa!
Andrew - fortunatly we still have a thriving pub bar billiards scene. A few pubs still have them and there is still a league, Guernsey has even had some world champions.
Paul - we were fortunatd to have a large number of pubs when i was young, most having either a pool table or bar billiards table so my misspent youth involved both. It was so misspent that we used to use a plastic comb to stop the bar from falling in the bar billiards table!

Peter

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Guys
thanks for the kind comments.

Jim. - its not too late to add some to your list from Santa!
Andrew - fortunatly we still have a thriving pub bar billiards scene. A few pubs still have them and there is still a league, Guernsey has even had some world champions.
Paul - we were fortunatd to have a large number of pubs when i was young, most having either a pool table or bar billiards table so my misspent youth involved both. It was so misspent that we used to use a plastic comb to stop the bar from falling in the bar billiards table!

Peter

Looks like I need a holiday to Guernsey!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi all

managed to fInish a couple of mini dioramas before Christmas. The first I have added some vehicles to the base creating an early war scene of troops going off to war. Ideally there should have been some civilians but I cannot find anybody who makes them.

06CE1887-7303-4409-8EB8-4A42BAD504FA.jpegF18099422-D0E9-45A1-B019-D7634EF6BE54.jpegA7A40EA7-5B43-4B70-8B5A-5E27A82E5B33.jpeg
The second is the same location but 5 years later with the Allies advancing through the same area which has a lot of battle damage and white flags replacing the Nazi banners:

50BC36D2-D8FD-4A9A-B1D5-2129C7EB2E4D.jpeg9E15810E-9789-414D-94FC-68757D90215E.jpeg4DBC6206-6164-47F7-B54C-C1BB183AF74E.jpeg
Peter

Attachments

• 892ACC64-E8F6-4681-AFE7-F105169DF69F.jpeg
    892ACC64-E8F6-4681-AFE7-F105169DF69F.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 2

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Those are both very nice Peter, don't sweat the civilians..........it's the "wee" hours of the morning and they are all snug in their beds....with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads! ;)

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
That is a cracking build mate with lots of fine detail that belies it's small size.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
These mini dios are really stunning. Marvellous detail in such tiny packages.
Jim

First Name
Andrew
Hi Guys

Rick - that woud be the ideal dio, unfortunately I cannot source civilian figures for the crowd, nor the Merc.

Peter
I used Preiser children that are really 1:260 -Z Gauge. I also converted some Z Gauge ladies by chopping parts of their limbs and torso out. It does leave you with stout women though! They do teenagers too. The only issue is that they are quite expensive for what you get. I’ll see if I can raid the boxes of figures at work or ones I saved from my foray into micro dioramas. I’m not sure what I have?
Andy

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Civilians might be something you can get from the 3D print figure suppliers? Try something like shapeways.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant!!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Cheers guys, thanks for the kind words.

Jim - apologies, I missed your question form earlier in the thread - these buildings were GHQ products, very well detailed and an absolute joy to paint. The bunkers in the earlier dios were scratch built.

i'm not too worried about the lack of civvies; I doubt if I will make a scene with civvies in future. The next is likely to be a return to the Normandy campaign with a bocage scene, or perhaps a two level model with a bridge over a railway line. Nice thing about this scale is that they are so quick compated to 1/35 scale, I can whizz through the ideas!

while searching for civvies I came across a number of different producers of 6mm figures of loads of historical periods reanging from ancients, to English Civil War and Napoleonic; perhaps Hougoumont farm in 6mm?

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There’s a huge range of 6mm stuff out there Peter, it’s one of the more popular scales for war gaming….possibly worth giving heroics and ros a miss though, they have been making them for at least thirty years and there are now better about.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very well done. I know it's tough to photograph, they're so small.