smoke generators

S

supa_teach

Can some one explain to me exactly how a smoke generator works. I have good electronics skills and I want to build one myself but need as many details of how they work and are constructed so I can make mine work. Where do I get the oil to put in the generator? Any help gatefully received

Thanks Tony

D

duncan

Hi SupaTeach, Basic, hot wire in oil, not a lot of smoke. Danger level moderate,choice of oil, temperature of wire etc. I`d leave it to the pros, look up Tomahawk system for small boats and trains up to OO guage. Dont use "baby oil". Various chemical and pyrotechnic systems give better smoke. Depending on costs the one to explore is "theatrical" ( & disco ) smoke systems. There is scope for someone to miniaturise, and market,this type. It is safe, breathable, non toxic etc. The world is waiting for YOUR breakthrough . I`ll be your first customer as I`m fed up paying 4 quid for 90 seconds of smoke on my boat (drain pellets, four funnels). Best of luck.:thumbs:

A

ajg141

I'm using Maplin's fog machine fluid in my sternwheeler. Works OK (but pops a little) and hasn't caused any problems yet. available in 1 litre bottles.

A

adzam

i seen one in scoonie hobbies when i was there yesterday.

it came with oil and was only £22 a very small neat unit .

unfortunately i cannot rememebr the manufacturer

P

Paul_H

Check out the Graupner one in Hobbystores, £12 gets you a very small (10mm x 35mm) unit & oil, fitted one into my corvet, runs for about 15 minutes & is speed related, quicker you go, more smoke.

G

George

Smoke

Hi SupaTeach' date=' Basic, hot wire in oil, not a lot of smoke. Danger level moderate,choice of oil, temperature of wire etc. I`d leave it to the pros, look up Tomahawk system for small boats and trains up to OO guage. Dont use "baby oil". Various chemical and pyrotechnic systems give better smoke. Depending on costs the one to explore is "theatrical" ( & disco ) smoke systems. There is scope for someone to miniaturise, and market,this type. It is safe, breathable, non toxic etc. The world is waiting for YOUR breakthrough . I`ll be your first customer as I`m fed up paying 4 quid for 90 seconds of smoke on my boat (drain pellets, four funnels). Best of luck.:thumbs:[/quote']Duncan I think that you will find that Tomahawk are no longer trading, plus their systems seem to be all for 12 volt. and I am not sure how well they will work with 6 volts

:respect4:

George

D

duncan

OOPS ! sorry about old info...I`m really an aeromodeller:plane:. Some of the "smoke" one sees on model boats is pretty poor, mere whisps. What about laying down a smoke-screen with thick black smoke? Pyrotechnics must be the only way to get this. Rescue emergency smoke is great but only in bright orange (also very expensive if not used for saving your life). Plumbers drain test pellets are OK but brief, about 90seconds, and stink of celluloid. My boat only needs the smell of kerosene (gas turbine) with a little smoke only at start-up.

I

IainM

Try the following link for info on making your own!

http://members.shaw.ca/vmss/tips/smoke.html

Simple but effective.

Regarding the oily stuff, I spoke to a guy at a recent exhibition and he swears by baby oil. The stand sure smelt nice .. and there was a reasonable amount of smoke as well!

A

antuk

as per duncan model warship site has a realy good homemade one have a look and let us no how it works :smiling3: also type in fogfluid on google and there is a link to how to make your own fluid ;)

A

antuk

as per duncan model warship site has a realy good homemade one have a look and let us no how it works :smiling3: also type in fogfluid on google and there is a link to how to make your own fluid ;)

J

jankers

I was told by a club member that the smoke caused the superstructire to become very dirty very quickly.

Anyone confirm this?

J.

B

Bunkerbarge

I don't have any experience of this Jankers and I have used a number of oil fired and water powered ones. I have never put any form of colourant in my water ones though and I suspect that might be a cause of discolouration.

The big difference being that the water ones (JJC type) produce a cold water vapour that is heavier than air so the 'smoke' falls onto the model if there is no windage over it. If you have put any form of dye or colourant into the water I suspect it may then recondense on the model and cause the dye to stain it. I would rely on the plain water, it looks good enough for me.

J

jankers

Thanks Richard,

The ifo was given me some years ago, certainly before the advent of the water/smoke type of unit, so it could be that the oil used was causing the deposits. In any event, the water type should take care of such matters.

J.