Spitfire Mk Ia from Revell 1/32 Mk IIa Kit

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Also intertesting to note that the demarcation between upper and lower camoflage does not follow the panel line below the engine but takes a direct line from the spinner to the wing root.
Another very good point. It was supposed to be like this on the original scheme, and even some late aircraft exhibit this feature whereas some, even early ones, do follow the panel line. I don't know but it might depend on where the aircraft was built. Again, once they left the factory and were serviced and repainted anything could happen.

Here's a late mark Spitfire with a straight(ish) demarcation not following the panel line.

And an early one where the demarcation does follow the line.

There really is no substitute for a decent photograph :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great research and references Steve. Your Spitfire is coming along nicely. Going to be a fantastic build when it's all done. Some very interesting facts and pictures in your previous posts. I think that long bar-type wheel chock with "Spitfire" painted along it would make a nice finishing touch.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just unmasked the touch dry camouflage and the light is just about okay for a snap shot so here it is.

The sharp eyed will notice that this is the 'B' scheme, a mirror image of the 'A' scheme which became standard later in the war.

I've also unmasked the undersides and their slightly unusual arrangement with the wings in the regulation White and Night but the rest of the fuselage left in silver.

That's it for 24 hours or so as I need to allow the paint (colourcoat enamels from WEM) to thoroughly dry and cure before any further messing about with them :smiling3: .

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Nice crisp masking there Steve. Just a question why was the rest of the fuselage left silver?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Just a question why was the rest of the fuselage left silver?
The White/Night undersides were originally applied to limited (50 aircraft) Hurricane production. They rolled of the line in March 1938. Initially only the outer, fabric covered, wing sections were painted in the colours. When the aircraft entered service in April 1938 Dowding complained that the silver band between the two colours caused them to merge, making the recognition marking less effective and had the scheme corrected so that the entire main plane, with a division at the centreline was painted. This left the rear and front fuselage and tail plane silver. Eventually the Night and White were extended onto this area so that there was a longitudinal division down the centre of the aircraft underside. Spitfires first left the Eastleigh production line in the Night/White scheme in about April 1939 and Supermarine were still only painting the main plane. This was rectified later.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've managed to spray the red surround for the gas patch this morning and then unmask the whole thing.

I'm happy with the yucky yellow/green colour I mixed up for it.

Cheers

SteveI

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's a nice yellow/green yucky colour Steve. Not long before this ones completed.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking superb Steve. Great paint work (as always) and nice detail with the gas patch.

Cheers

P

Z

Ziper_it

Superb painting as usual, plus I'm learning more since I'm reading your posts than in my life before.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'm learning more since I'm reading your posts than in my life before.
I always try to use my models as a means of learning as much as I can about the real aircraft and men who flew them. I'm certainly happy if I can pass anything on to anyone else.

There is a story behind this Spitfire which I will tell when I finally get it finished. I've started to apply the decals today (and a start on wing root weathering).

I have also managed to find an online copy of the 92 Squadron Operations Record Book (ORB) or Form 540, which covers the period in question. I will also post a link to it for those interested.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: