Spitfire Mk.IXe 'Beer Barrels'

P

Polux

Spitfire Mk.IX

Eduard Item # R0008

Scale 1/48

Royal Class exclusive contents:

Plastic sprues, photo-etched accessories and painting mask for two complete models of Mk.IXc early, Mk.IXc late and Mk.IXe versions.

Decals for fourteen colourful and famous markings.

Mark IX Eduard beer glass (19 cm)!! :rolleyes:

Eduard Brassin accessories:

90gal slipper fuel tank / main wheels / “Mk.XXX” beer barrels.

I suppose the photos of the Spitfire with beer barrels are known to every Spitfire fan, so I will base oneself with the Johnnie Johnson one.

The model was a Mk.IXe, Mk329, flown by W/Cdr J.E. Johnson, CO of No. 144 Wing, June,1944.

This aircraft was used by Johnnie Johnson; according to his memoirs he flew it twice. Rumor has it that he brought beer to his men in Normandy flying MK329. Spitfire MK329 is a real mystery. It is not listed as produced by any of the factories. Johnson mentioned that it was assembled from wrecked airframes and carried no guns. Johnson only flew it once, never in combat, since it carried no guns, and was a mix-match airframe, cobbled together out of spare parts.

This is my first idea or option.... so I am really interested with the barrels. :rolleyes:

Once build, I will choice the Johnson colours or my “Tartan version”. :confused:

Regards

Polux

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sounds good mate, looking forward to the progress and the pictures...chuffing hell, just as I posted you put up some piccies!

Looking very nice I might add.

Si:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb looking cockpit polux! cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
all assemble perfect :eek:
Say that again...cannot be true...saying that it is early days.

P

Polux

\ said:
Sounds good mate, looking forward to the progress and the pictures...chuffing hell, just as I posted you put up some piccies!Looking very nice I might add.

Thanks Si!!

:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

My PC go fast than I...... so very slow ;)

Cheers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL, Yes it is a great kit and it does build well and the fit IS great. I am building one as well. As I write this the glue on the canopy is drying, so I can prime it tomorrow.

You have made a great job on the office Polux and I look forward to seeing it painted.

Ian M

P

Polux

\ said:
Some superb work there Polux.I like the seat belts.
Thanks Dave.

They come coloured, just add some oil colour touch!

It's my first serious attempt to build a plane, all kind of comments from plane modellers like you, will be welcome!!

Cheers

P

Polux

\ said:
LOL, Yes it is a great kit and it does build well and the fit IS great. I am building one as well. As I write this the glue on the canopy is drying, so I can prime it tomorrow.You have made a great job on the office Polux and I look forward to seeing it painted.

Ian M
The planes are not my main interest, but this Kit looks superb!!!

Looking forward your model too,Ian

Cherrs

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks Dave.They come coloured, just add some oil colour touch!

It's my first serious attempt to build a plane, all kind of comments from plane modellers like you, will be welcome!!

Cheers
I don't think you need any advice from me. Your a much better modeller than I am Polux.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I bought the "cheap" one. Just the plastic and PE for the cockpit. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about....

I see now that there is a fully detailed Motor set in resin and PE on the way as well....Hmm.

You are doing a very good job Polux and as for the PE for the flaps, the only time Spits had their flaps down was under landing and servicing. Or if the pilot forgot to raise them imediatly after landing...

Ian M

P

Polux

\ said:
I don't think you need any advice from me. Your a much better modeller than I am Polux.
I'm not agree!

But I will not discuss, because here, we all are a part of a great team. :smiling3: :smiling3:

P

Polux

\ said:
I bought the "cheap" one. Just the plastic and PE for the cockpit. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about....I see now that there is a fully detailed Motor set in resin and PE on the way as well....Hmm.

Ian M
Hi Ian!

Yesterday was searching your build, but seems you hasn't any thread....

Can I ask which marking you choice?:eek:

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL there isn't one...I'll pop a few pictures up when it's done though.

I am doing UF*Q the silver spitfire.... Not often you get to find a war time Spit that had been striped of paint and was an actual bare metal one.

I started it Friday and will be clearcoating tomorrow ready for decals...... Its been a very wet and windy weekend here....

Have you got to the exhaust stacks yet? Talk about over engineered.

Ian M