spitfire model accident

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
hello:

look what I just did! I was using heavy auto primer-with which I've used with great success in the past to assist with a few large gaps when it leaked through the tape masks. When all hell broke loose and removing the tape, the wing roots and undercarriage separated at the seems. I'm probably not going to proceed with it due to the enormous time and work involved-filling, shaping and recreating all the detail. I'm still a little dazed from this accident so please share your thoughts! I could always use this kit as a test canvas too s:inv:o maybe all is good.

View attachment 16150

View attachment 16151

View attachment 16152

View attachment 16153

ooch1.jpg

ooch2.jpg

ooch3.jpg

ooch4.jpg

A

alan2525

Blimey - You've killed it! Was that a celulose based primer? I'd stick to model paints, acrylic or enamel. Looks like it's started disolving the styrene!

Scale Modelling can sometimes be a bit of a pain in the butt!

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thanks Alan. um ketone I think it was but I swear I used it with great results, same company-Revell of Germany and can't belive this happened. I'm to blame though as I should have thought this outsooner. It a good lesso. I've always relied upon MM primer but should have used proper filler. I might be able to sand it down, fill and then add a few bits. Or just rip out the under carriage and see if I can rejoin. BUT, I'll give it a go not expecting great results. My wife will $@#%T on me for this as I just purchased a old airfix Grief 1/72 !!!!!!!!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Jeff,

Where I work, we still use a chemical called "methylethylketone" (M.E.K. for short) it does amazing things to all sorts of plastic. Its primary use us as a degreaser/solvent and it is some bad stuff. At work we have dissolved styrofoam cups in it, leaving nothing behind, we use small paint brushes for glue, the company bought plastic stemmed brushes.....ate them too along with the synthetic "hairs" or bristles, it has eaten cheap gloves that were thought were rubber but turned out to be synthetic.

Other than for degreasing parts, we have only found one other really good use for it, it will cure poison ivy, poison oak....etc with one application.

But, back to your model. My suggestion is for you to use the model in a diaroma, we have all seen diaromas with "crashed, shot down" aircraft in them, here is a prime canidate for that role if you arent going to try to repair it.

Go ahead and paint her up, maybe take a large needle in a pair of pliers, heat it and create bullet holes in the fuselage, take a heated butter knife and create a "shell hole from an imaginary flak hit, ad the smut from a lit candle and you have flame damage with burnt areas.

just some ideas, have a good day,

Greg

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thanks Greg! I'm going to have to do that at a later date-its beyond repair at this point due to the crazing To add further frustration to my day-the washing machine repair man just left and now my unit won't even fill up!!!! This day sucks but at least I have my little around to really laugh!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy again jeff,

Ok, I have some photos here from this website of "damaged" aircraft diaromas you might want to look at for ideas. The site is found here: Welcome to Model Aircraft Magazine

These photos are from the 2005 IPMS Modelworld

models_b17inlonggrass.jpg

models_ki115_1.jpg

models_spitfire&pilot.jpg

models_spitfire_vb_72.jpg

I also have some photos of a B-17G that is in a crash landing/shot down diaroma that I just uploaded from my camera, but it will take me awhile to get them processed for show here. But these should give you some ideas on what you can do with a model you are "less than satisfied with".

Thats not to say these models above where placed in these setting for that reason, and I am sure they were intentionally placed in these diaromas in their condition.

If you would like to see more of the 2005 show, change the "007" in the address above to 006 or 005 or 004 etc and so on.

Have a good day,

Greg

edit: the B-17 photos didnt turn out, maybe another time

Last edited:
L

Lips McGee

You might be able to use this as an opportunity to either kitbash, or even modify your kit to a special version/variant.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thanks lipps:

Very good idea but there is now more damage than I thought. The wing roots are pretty mauled up. I am just going to box it up for now since I have yet to build a diorama.

L

Lips McGee

Makes for a good item to throw at the neighbor's annoying cat.

B

Bunkerbarge

It looks to me like the paint has reacted with the glue or filler that you have used. Did you get any glue on the plastic surfaces of the model? If not then it may have reacted with the plastic of the model but at the moment it looks like it has reacted with the glue.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thanks Richard:

I don't see any glue now but also was pretty tidey on this plane: It really does look like it attacked only certain areas though. The wing root is a little suspicious because I had not applied any glue-plastaweld\Tennex yet due to some issues with the gaps.

R

rjwood_uk

here are some more crash dios.

this one is done quite well showing a crash under water:

also this one:

and this i think is probably one of the best iv ever seen (apparently it was his first ever model...) it portrays a recovered wreck.

Richard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys,

That just goes to show that some good can come out of even the worst model...albeit I am sure the posted dioramas were intended to look the way they do. Thats not to say that a person couldnt make a "model with severe problems" look great in a diorama because as we have seen by the examples above, a person can make any model look good with a little

imagination.

have a good day,

Greg

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Well:

I did not give up on this one!!!! I just took a few days off, showed my now 4 month old son the box again and let him decide. When his eyes lit up and that smile appeared, I just said screw it-I'll fill, sand and sweat the best I can and hang it from the ceiling. I loved the way it came out due to a couple of reasons. I've never built a RAF fighter before and needed to free hand airbrush the camouflage. BUT, the &%^& decals silvered! I used several microscale gloss coats, placed them in the curing room and still they silvered. I have had great results using MM gloss instead of future or acrylic so I should have stayed with these. Oh well, I love the help and recommendations I received here. Thanks to all for your encouragement.

View attachment 16259

View attachment 16260

View attachment 16261

View attachment 16262

View attachment 16263

View attachment 16264

View attachment 16265

View attachment 16266

View attachment 16267

View attachment 16268

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0276_1.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job. I particularly like the wash on the underside. It picks out the panel lines perfectly and looks very effective.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thanks Bunkerbarge...... I just used the old burnt umber MM enamel thinned with spirits, let dry and lightly rub off with a dampened paper towel of spirits. Its a trick a learned here:grinball2:

G

GEEDUBBYA

Great looking model Jeff, and to think youalmost didnt build it lol.

Good work and good save well done!:respect1:

have a good day,

greg

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Greg, my man-thanks again for your support!