Spitfire part-works due soon.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Soon to be released in line with De Agostini's new range of model builders part-works is a radio controlled flying Spitfire model,the design uses a 40 size engine and a fully built up wooden structure.The manufacturers say that they are expecting a big demand for this model after extensive market research,which will include very detailed building instructions to get her built and flown.The engine will be available as a specially priced issue when required and everything except the radio equipment is included to build the model.

Anyone who has built and flown a Spit will tell you what a joy they are to fly in the right hands and if set up properly,just like the full size the design handles both crisply and capable of some good aerobatics.The manufacturers have been criticised by the BMFA regarding the choice of aeroplane for a part works,ponting out that people must learn to fly first,whist this is very true I look at this project differently and perhaps with more of a positive outlook ! after all the part works will make the model available to many people unable to afford an expensive kit in one go,and above all encourage many to have a go at their first steps at and enjoy model building,I doubt whether a trainer done in a similar fashion would have the same appeal,and would possibly be a disaster for De Agostini,what they have done is to see the potential of this classic popular aircraft and make it available to many.I think that perhaps many will get built but unflown like all similar projects,but I think that they deserve congratulating in seeing a niche to produce this model which certainly will appeal to many.

Look out for intense advertising shortly on television,not sure whether this project is international,they have not commented on this ? keep your eyes open anyway for details of the first issue.

D

duncan

I trust the instructions will advise joining a model club and the need for insurance etc etc. No wonder BMFA are worried. International ? Bf 109 for Germany , if its got a swastika on it it`ll sell in UK ! Suppose a Condor Legion one for Spain ? Wonder how many Titanic models were sailed out of the thousands that were started. :hehe: I think they should stick to publishing.

K

Kiwi

I agree - Bad Choice!! Still,won't worry me, they're not available here.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Spitfire part works released & learning to fly.

Well without going into the politics of this model the first issue is out,it appears to be no more than a reverse engineered ARTF,the Kyosho one in fact,first issue £1.99 then I think the others are £6.00,what they have done is just break the model down into manageable parts and get you to do the assembly,rather than the mass produced cheap labour imports.

I purchased the Kyosho Spitfire,MDS 40 engine and 4 channel gear for around £175 5 years ago,I flew her until she fell apart and the repairs got the better of her,she handled beautifully and would roll just like the full size machine,certainly not a beginners machine by any stroke of imagination but real fun to fly by someone with a few hundred hours under their belt.

Was intending to do a blow by blow weekly rundown on the construction but I do not think this one is frankly worth it and will give it a miss as it is not worth any energy expending on it,if anyone needs any help just yell out and the issues can be sorted.

This Spitfire training thing is nothing new,when I had the shops people would come in as raw beginneres and place the kit on the counter,as a responsible dealer I would point out the pit-falls of using the Spit as their first model,comparing it to learning to drive in a Mini rather than a Ferrari ! some understood but others still adamant went out with a Spitfire tucked under their arms,its a free country so my gain was their loss,but having said that a future customer is one that listens,and buys the bog standard slabby sided trainer that will give him/her many hours of rough and tumble epoxy consuming pleasurable hours of flying,teach how to set up and start engines,then and only then will they be ready for a low wing trainer ( not even a Spitfire at this stage !) we even gave tuition but some were too proud ( or silly ) to accept that either,there is no easy route to success in flying models,the days of learn to trim out a simple rubber job,progress to simple 2 channel gliders which teach orientation,positioning,distance of a remote object so essential for successful flying,spatial awareness is something that not all of us is second nature,this is a big part of flying a radio model successfully.

There is no short cut,every aspect of modelling and flying is a learning curve to be savoured but certainly not hurried.Just as we now learn how to get the best from our computer and learn from each other,flying is the same with different skills,my advice to anyone is not to give in,your first crash is all part of the essential process,it should not deter you but spur you on to not give the wrong signal again ! Many happy hours of building & flying pleasure will finally come your way.

G

George

Spitfire Part Works

Soon to be released in line with De Agostini's new range of model builders part-works is a radio controlled flying Spitfire model,the design uses a 40 size engine and a fully built up wooden structure.The manufacturers say that they are expecting a big demand for this model after extensive market research,which will include very detailed building instructions to get her built and flown.The engine will be available as a specially priced issue when required and everything except the radio equipment is included to build the model.Anyone who has built and flown a Spit will tell you what a joy they are to fly in the right hands and if set up properly,just like the full size the design handles both crisply and capable of some good aerobatics.The manufacturers have been criticised by the BMFA regarding the choice of aeroplane for a part works,ponting out that people must learn to fly first,whist this is very true I look at this project differently and perhaps with more of a positive outlook ! after all the part works will make the model available to many people unable to afford an expensive kit in one go,and above all encourage many to have a go at their first steps at and enjoy model building,I doubt whether a trainer done in a similar fashion would have the same appeal,and would possibly be a disaster for De Agostini,what they have done is to see the potential of this classic popular aircraft and make it available to many.I think that perhaps many will get built but unflown like all similar projects,but I think that they deserve congratulating in seeing a niche to produce this model which certainly will appeal to many.

Look out for intense advertising shortly on television,not sure whether this project is international,they have not commented on this ? keep your eyes open anyway for details of the first issue.
Remember this companies record for not completeing part works in the past. This aswell as the likely cost IF they do complete :anicam:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes that is a disgraceful practise George,if the sales drop off then they axe the completion of the magazines,apparently it has happened with a dolls house project in the past,it 'could' possibly happen with this project,who knows ? it is certainly something to take into consideration.

G

George

Yes that is a disgraceful practise George' date='if the sales drop off then they axe the completion of the magazines,apparently it has happened with a dolls house project in the past,it 'could' possibly happen with this project,who knows ? it is certainly something to take into consideration.[/quote']it has also happened to one of their other model boat projects. There was a letter written to Marine Models about the missing parts. Chris Jackson soon let the sender know that MMI were not involved in any way

:smile4:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
it has also happened to one of their other model boat projects. There was a letter written to Marine Models about the missing parts. Chris Jackson soon let the sender know that MMI were not involved in any way :smile4:
*** That will give any company a bad reputation George,although there have been some faulty parts with the Red Baron project the girls at Hachette are always helpful and supply replacements by return of post,but to cut a project dead and leave people high and dry is just not on,I am surprised that anyone will buy models from them after that ? what they should do is give assurances that no matter how sales decline they are honoured to carry on until the end.

First Name
Grahame
David

The glue is applied to the edge of the former, it should be on the face if there's going to be any chance of a good glue joint! If builders are unlucky there might just be enough "seepage" around the joint to actually hold it!! Until they try to start the engine that is!!!

I suppose "right" could have meant "correct" but some how I doubt it.

B

Bluewavestudios

To be Honest, I wouldn't even bother with this one myself,

The reason in my case is that I have some very nice Spitfire Plans that were given away over the years with R/C Scale Models Magazine. I could easliy knock one up cheaper from those plans if I wished.

I know the Part-works mag is aimed at the beginners and I would agree with the choice of subject as a bad one for them no matter how nice it looks.

The Plans I have are for 2 different versions, One of them being Ian Peacock's design which was built for electric motors but will take a nice small size i/c engine easily..I have a couple of PAW .19 Diesels sat idle that would go in nicely with no large silencer sticking out either.

The other plans are for a larger version of same...not sure on engine size on those plans.

I am very wary of these part-works mags as they never seem to finish off a whole model although I did notice several late issues of the Nitro-racer on e-bay...especially the issue with the engine....I managed to bag one of those engines for cheaper than shop list price and got the carb brand new off e-bay too.

Just one thing that I noticed though is how many people were actually selling the mag issues and parts through e-bay...there's a lot of them on there...a quick way to make money or just people who started and gave up deciding to sell...??? or maybe another money spinning idea as a lot of these issues are unopened packages...who knows..??

I would say, If you really want a Spitfire, get some flying hours under your belt first with a good trainer and then an intermediate trainer/aerobatic jobbie. Then go buy some Spitfire Plans and make your own...If you prang it, you still have the plans to enable you to work from for repairs...Much cheaper....!!!

p.s....... I do have a Mark IX Spit under my belt already !!!

Regards.........Mark

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very sound advice Mark regarding this particular Spitfire,I can vouch for the Ian Peacock one having built one with an IC motor,it flies and looks great,but once again not for a beginner,sure build one and keep it until you have hundreds of flying hours under your belt,but nobody should even think about handling a Spit until they are part and parcel of the transmitter and can handly the most tricky of low wing designs they have progressed to.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
no i cant see it' date=' what is it?[/quote']*** See posts #10 & #12 on this thread,there are two errors Squirrel.

B

Bluewavestudios

Just watched the construction Vid from the Link above, I would be very surprised if that former stuck at all as the glue was placed on the wrong edges, as stated previously...probably stick to the building board but that is about it !!!

Also I noticed that De-Agostini did put a warning on their page as follows:

* De Agostini strongly recommends that inexperienced model-plane flyers take lessons before flying their model Spitfire.

Was that there before..?? or added as an Afterthought..??

Regards..............Mark

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Watchdog not happy with Spitfire.

Monday evenings TV 'Watchdog' programme highlighted Agnostini's new part works Spitfire,above all they highlighted the 'dangers' of flying these models in parks by in-experienced beginners,not exactly the type of over top exposure that the model flying hobby needs ! it also showed an experienced flyer speaking about the irresponsible attitude of the company producing this model,highlighting what we have said here about starting with a trainer model and to get proper supervision in the process,sound words indeed.

Also part of the programme dealt with a previous electric car model that they had done over two years,a missing gearbox part in issue number 19 and a faulty electronic conponent that melted after a few minutes running time ! when approached 29 times by telephone the company promised a replacement only to issue the self same faulty part eventually,they offered no repair service or other back up with the car,disgruntled the mother of her car mad son went out and purchased a kit for a lot less than the part works.

To get national television exposure like this is bad for any company especially if promises are not fulfilled and customers are not happy,lets just hope that they will give a better service and spares back-up to those contemplating carrying on with the Spitfire model,it will need every bit of expertise to get them flying ! :thinking: :poster_oo

Last edited by a moderator:
G

George

Monday evenings TV 'Watchdog' programme highlighted Agnostini's new part works Spitfire,above all they highlighted the 'dangers' of flying these models in parks by in-experienced beginners,not exactly the type of over top exposure that the model flying hobby needs ! it also showed an experienced flyer speaking about the irresponsible attitude of the company producing this model,highlighting what we have said here about starting with a trainer model and to get proper supervision in the process,sound words indeed.Also part of the programme dealt with a previous electric car model that they had done over two years,a missing gearbox part in issue number 19 and a faulty electronic conponent that melted after a few minutes running time ! when approached 29 times by telephone the company promised a replacement only to issue the self same faulty part eventually,they offered no repair service or other back up with the car,disgruntled the mother of her car mad son went out and purchased a kit for a lot less than the part works.

To get national television exposure like this is bad for any company especially if promises are not fulfilled and customers are not happy,lets just hope that they will give a better service and spares back-up to those contemplating carrying on with the Spitfire model,it will need every bit of expertise to get them flying ! :thinking: :poster_oo
Barry, See that you too have been watching watch dog. Dosn't say very much good for the company

:busted_re :busted_re :busted_re

B

Bluewavestudios

Also saw the programme here and can only agree, does not say much for the company but nice to see that they have been exposed in the shoddy way that they work.

Regards.......Mark