Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
B

bikerbart

Love it in a nutshell. Great finish and build...i adore the Spitfire....i really must get around to making one. Never made a plane model, in the process at the moment, just a 1/72nd. If i can make a half good attempt then who knows i MAY just try a Spitfire at some point :smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done.You've gone for the nice clean version and very nice it is too.

I had a stab at AN*V based on this well known photo

With this result.

An interesting subject. I don't think a view of the port side exists so I just guessed!

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Steve, any history on the "touch ups" on the roundal and the cockpit side??

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I only saw now that the starbord aileron seems "canabalized" from another plane too.

Theuns

C

Caledonia

Ian, full marks from me for an excellent clean job. Refreshing to see a tropical Spit for a change. Your pilot is first class. Cheers Derek

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Great tropical Spitfire, nicely finished with a very good pilot.

Top drawer mate.

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
People before have said it all.

Special mention for the pilot though Ian, very well painted.

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Steve, any history on the "touch ups" on the roundal and the cockpit side??Theuns
No idea Theuns. Obviously some serious repair to the starboard wing,not only the roundel but also a replacement aileron in the "mirror" camouflage scheme. The paint on the cowling doesn't quite add up (implying a replacement) and the area around the squadron code has been repainted at least three times. The serial is obviously over painted. There is a theory,based on the orange hue of the fin flash in particular, that this aircraft came to the Canadians via a SAAF squadron but that doesn't fit with the serial that both Ian and I have gone for. Noone is 100 pecent sure of that serial by the way. I accrued a fair bit of data on this aircraft when I modelled it so if anyone else fancies this one let me know!!

At the time I've modelled it the whole airframe had become a bit of a mongrel,it has been through the major MU at Aboukir a few times. Ian's looks like it is about to go on the boat and sail for Takoradi before ferrying into North Africa...I really like his clean look. It is a lovely model and that pilot is stunning.

Cheers

Steve

R

Richy C

Very nice Ian , as the lads have also said pilot looks superb mate

Richy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just like the buses. Nothing for ages and then three turn up together!

I'm talking about pilot figures - again! Another pilot figure that's turned this very good Spit into something a bit special. Good one Ian.

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the comments.

Nice one Steve. I wish I had found that photo. I was a bit in doubt if the serial number should go over or under the AN O V or on top. So like a true chump I put it behind. Well if Your going to do it wronge, do it in style I always say.

Lets see what I can make of a Mk I.

Steve, do you in your collection have any photos of the BofB with the half black half white under side?

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Very nice, good to see that there is a pilot which you have painted very well. Nice piece of work all round.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I was a bit in doubt if the serial number should go over or under the AN O V or on top. So like a true chump I put it behind. Well if Your going to do it wronge, do it in style I always say. Ian M
Ian I don't think that you've done anything wrong. My version is much later when all sorts of things have been painted and re-painted. I think you've done a fabulous job of how AN*V would have looked when she was much newer.

I'll have a look on my computer for some piccies as I'm still away from home. I'm in a sweltering Amsterdam today.....31 degrees.....bloody hot!

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

31 degrees...bloody hot :-D

Ah you limies, come to Africa.here 31 is a nice summer's day LOL

Theuns

F

Fenlander

Last time I was in Tunisia, it was 50 degrees and I have to say I expected it to be and managed to get by thanks to air conditioned rooms at the hotel, air conditioned coaches taking us to see the sights and scant, in my case probably unpleasant, lack of shirts ties and trousers. What I don't expect is the temperatures in some parts of the UK, we just are not used to it Theuns lol. Air conditioning has only recently arrived in some family cars, it is not common in homes as yet and i can tell you, it may only be 27 or so here in Peterborough but by the time I had cycled home, flung open the windows and sat down to check out the forum, I was wet through. :laughing:

T

T. van Vuuren

Well , the other side of the coin is that if it gets close to 0 deg here I get very unhappy!

Last week we had a few nights under 0 and it wa to cold to even work on a model!!! ;)

Theuns

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
but by the time I had cycled home, flung open the windows and sat down to check out the forum, I was wet through. :laughing:
You told me you were waiting for your missus to pick you up!

If you can give away all my secrets, I can give yours away! lol

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian I don't think that you've done anything wrong. My version is much later when all sorts of things have been painted and re-painted. I think you've done a fabulous job of how AN*V would have looked when she was much newer.I'll have a look on my computer for some piccies as I'm still away from home. I'm in a sweltering Amsterdam today.....31 degrees.....bloody hot!

Cheers

Steve
The plan that shows where the decals should be placed is in black and white and tamiya choose to show both the call sign and the serial in black!!! I have since found out that the factory put the serial nr on and the call sign was added afterwards. MoD dictats just happend to put the call sign letters over the serial nr. ! So it should be as you have depicted.

I only found this out after two caots of satin clear coat, so bit late to do any thing about it!!!

I must say that your war beaten and patched up version does look rather brilliant.

Could you recommend any good "picture books" on spitfires of the RAF. A good source of profiles, and the such?

Ian m ( wondering what to do with the next one)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Spitfires aren't really my thing,despite the fact I love 'em. I don't have any of the weighty tomes that the experts have,I've quite enough Luftwaffe related ones thanks! I've got several of the Osprey "Aircraft of the aces" series which are always good for some nice pictures and profiles. I don't know enough about them to vouch for them,but people who do know are generally fairly happy with them. Otherwise, for me, it's mostly more general British references or the odd thing I've picked up as a bargain over the years. If you want to track a particular machine then this web site is excellent.

Spitfire - Main

My Norton security keeps flagging a warning but I've never had a problem with it.

I've had a look for some "split" Spit camo pictures but can't find them. I know I scanned some a while ago so I'll have a good look when I get the chance. They are probably filed under "Wellington" or something equally daft! By the time the BOB was really in full swing most frontline fighters were painted with some version of "Sky" on the underside anyway.

The order to paint undersides "Sky" was given on 6th June 1940,really during what we call the phoney war and the Germans (at least the Luftwaffe,who were regaining their strength after serious losses during the battle of France) call the "Sitzkrieg". I think that is a play on words Sitzkrieg/Blitzkrieg.....german humour lol.

Cheers

Steve