Spraying/Painting Queries

T

typerjim

Hi,

I am doing a 1/24 Tamiya NSX. The shell is red plastic and I am on my second one! The first met its demise as I couldnt get it right. I want to pray it white with a black roof. I am using a white primer. I put a few light layers of white primer on last night. After an hour, it had dried and I sprayed on the white gloss.

I then noticed there was a slight yellow / red tinge in colour to the paint - is this because I didn't leave the primer to cure properly?

I rubbed it all down after it had dried and re-primed the shell, I have left it overnight.

Tonight I have 2 choices - play safe and spray the shell black and leave it - or try the white again. I don't want to risk messing up another shell!!

Please help.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Prime it. Leave it at lease over night but 24hrs would be better. Rub LIGHTLY with very fine WET wet and dry. Rinse under running water.

Leave to dry.

If you think the primer needs another coat, repeat as above. I assume that you are using grey rattle can primer here.

Once you are happy about the primer, leave it alone for a day or two. preferably two. Hey I know its a long time, but if you want a good finish....

Mask off the roof and paint the white. Remember fine mist coats is the way to go. If you are also rattle canning this you might want to practice regarding the distance spray-can to model. To close and you'll flood it, to far and the spray will dry in the air, before it hits the model.

Once you have the white down, leave it alone to cure. Paint is often touch dry after an hour, but first hard after a cay or two. Rub and respray as for the primer.

Do the same for the black roof.

When all is well, give the whole body a gentle rub with wet wet and dry of at least 20000grit. wash and dry then you can clear coat it.

Phew.

Now one of the car painters can come and tell you how it should be done. LOL

Ian M

T

typerjim

Hi,

Thanks very much for your valuable guidance! I am using a white primer - I though this would be best for white paint - seems I was wrong?

I don't know where I am going wrong. I recently did a Ferrari F40 which turned out fairly well. This one is proving to be very difficult.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nowt wrong with a white primer, I use it my self under white top coats,

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
White primer should be fine jim, although a red plastic is the trickiest thing to cover with a white! As Ian says , make sure you leave it overnight to dry , applying further coats if it hasnt covered the red thoroughly. When the primer has fully hardened then spray your top coat. Is the colour youre using Honda championship white? If so , maybe the first attempt wasnt that far off , as this is quite a creamy white colour. whatever colour you go for good luck and dont forget to post us some pics of the finished job, cheers tony

G

GeeBee

it is common for red or yellow plastic to show through a light coloured primer or top coat, what you need is a barrier coat between the primer and the top coat, here's what I suggest you do in the future, spray the body with a grey primer, leave to dry, then go over with a matt black, when dry flat it down so it's smooth to the touch, then go back over with a very light grey primer then you can put on the top coat, because of the extra coats you really need to be light with the paint, but doing it this way stops the colour of the plastic bleeding through into the top coat,

T

typerjim

Awesome advice there guys.

Yak Face - you are indeed right in saying that red plastic is hard to cover up with white! I have REALLY struggled with this. PS. I am not using the championship white from Honda by the way.

I sprayed it with the top coat last night, (approx 24hrs after applying a generous amount of primer. The primer was dry to the touch where-as before it has felt sticky and clammy. I think this is why I have had issues - my impatience!) It seems to be OK this morning although I am sure I can detect a very slight hint of cream in the colour - this may be my eyes deceiving me - I hope! Maybe the black roof, spoiler and mirrors will help put the colour into contrast. I stupidly broke one of the A-Pillars when removing some sprue supports this morning - as it will be black, hopefully this won't be noticeable after a bit of this mornings glue.

I hope to finish this tonight. (Will post pictures) I must admit, I haven't really enjoyed the NSX as much as my others, probably because of the amount of issues and my lack of experience. My next one is an RX-7 and from now on I will be taking into account shell colours before going off on one and choosing one myself!

I hope to do a Civic (EP3) and Integra (DC5) Type R later this year - one of which will be in white for sure, hopefully the shell will be white to begin with! :smiling: