SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking build and beautiful paint job.

Tony

J

John Huggins

The master at work, truly stunning.

Iff only i could half that good i would be happy, ow well keep trying.

A

andygh

Tommy, your skin tones are amazing, I think the best I've ever seen. Do you use oil or acrylic or a mixture of both?

I'm really dreading the mess I'm going to make of my sniper figure now

First Name
Tommy
Thanks guys,

Andy,

Usually I use a mix of both but only on skin tones, on uniforms and equipment I use acrylics.

But on this figure I used Vallejo acrylics on both skin tones and uniform.

And I'm sure that your sniper figure will be great looking in the end, I'm looking forward to follow your progress.

A

andygh

Thanks for that Tommy

Do you use a retarder for blending? Sorry for all the questions

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An other master piece Tommy.I can look at your figures for ages.Ian M

P

Paolo O

That is outstanding,the clothing looks like the real thing....amazing.

Tell you what andygh , yours will be a hell of a lot better than my sniper gb.

All the best ,Paolo

First Name
Tommy
Thanks Ian and Paolo!

\ said:
Thanks for that TommyDo you use a retarder for blending? Sorry for all the questions
Ask away, I'm happy to answer all the question you might have Andy (if I can answer them that is :smiling3: ).

I use water for retarder when painting figures due to the fact that I like to use Vallejo acrylics (I never use my airbrush on figures).

But working with acrylics when blending colors can be tricky sometimes because they are fast drying, it is much easier with slow drying paint.

When I'm using fast drying paint I don't try to blend when wet. I mix my paint carefully each time instead. It is a slow process but that is the way I like to paint.

My suggestion is to use the paint that your are the most comfortable with.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not that I have tried it for figure painting but Vallejo's retarder does make their Acrylics more workable. Not as much as Oil paints, but close enough to enable you to blend colours in situ.

Ian M

First Name
Tommy
Acrylic retarders are made from glycol which slows the drying process by holding on to the water, if you add too much you can get shiny patches and/or tacky paint, the paint can also lift when you paint over it.

If you want to use a retarder I think Winsor & Newton Blending Medium would be a better choice. You get much more if you compare the bottle sizes and price. Works very well together with acrylics.

But I don't use the stuff myself when I'm painting figures.

P

Paolo O

Sorry to bother you with another question Tommy but what type/make/size of brush should i be looking at buying for figure painting.I want to paint some of the old airfix napoleonic figures and will be using vallejo model colours.

I have been back into modelling for a couple of years but have only been painting/airbrushing 1/72 scale figures,tanks etc for my son to play with.I want to get a bit more "serious" and am not sure if the average and own brand sable etc brushes are good enough.

Many thanks in advance, Paolo

First Name
Tommy
No problem Paolo,

I can recommend the brushes I use for all my figure painting. I use them only for figure painting and nothing else.

They are hand made sable brushes called Kolinsky Sable Brushes Series 7. A bit more expensive than the 'normal' brush but worth the money.

Which sizes depends on how big your object is... but with size 00, 0, 2 you cover pretty much all your needs when painting figures, these three brushes are the ones I use the most.

If you take good care of them they last a very long time.