Steve's 1/32 Special Hobby P-39

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I thought I'd better start a thread to encourage me to get on with this one!

I seem to have a big pile of nice looking, if slightly hard/brittle plastic:

Plastic.jpg

I have bought some masks and also have the kit decals to have a go at:

markings.jpg

Of course there's some of this Bl*$dy stuff:

Etch.jpg

And finally this chap here, from the spares. He must be Russian because that's what I wrote on the bag!

Pilot.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looks good with your extras there Steve :thumb2: ,
If he doesn't turn out to be Russian,just carry on anyway.... with a scalpel and the correct colours,he soon will be!!;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well Steve, you have actually got further than I have. I had to get my Raiden over the finish line and post the final pictures.

Have you used Montex masks in the past? I know they're vinyl rather than Kabuki and I know some people aren't fan of vinyl masks.

I have used both types at least at 1/72 and probably found kabuki slightly better but that may be due to the scale.

Looking forward to seeing you work your usual magic.

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've used vinyl masks a fair bit in the past. I do quite like the vinyl masks in a larger scale, but I can see why they might be tricky at 1/72.

I used to buy generic masks or sets of masks from Maketar, but I think they have ceased trading. There's been a rather ominous message on their site for months now:

maketar.jpg

They clearly haven't come back soon!

I've only used Montex once before. The canopy masks didn't fit very well, so I ended up cutting them just as I would had I not had any pre-cut masks. The others were fine.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Some nice added extras you’ve got there Steve, looking forward to seeing it all come together :thumb2:

I’ve used 1/72 vinyl masks in the past and they were ok but if all else fails they are useful templates for creating Tamiya tape replacements :smiling5:

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice steve , did special hobby supply a tailored nose weight ?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've used vinyl masks a fair bit in the past. I do quite like the vinyl masks in a larger scale, but I can see why they might be tricky at 1/72.

I used to buy generic masks or sets of masks from Maketar, but I think they have ceased trading. There's been a rather ominous message on their site for months now:

View attachment 492027

They clearly haven't come back soon!

I've only used Montex once before. The canopy masks didn't fit very well, so I ended up cutting them just as I would had I not had any pre-cut masks. The others were fine.

Thanks Steve. The problem I found least at 1/72 was getting them to stay bent around tight curves on smaller masks.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice choice steve , did special hobby supply a tailored nose weight ?
Nope!

The instructions don't suggest any weight either, which seems odd for a model on a tricycle undercarriage.

I'm almost certainly going to pose this one in flight, so the necessity or otherwise of weight in the nose will remain a mystery :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Steve. The problem I found least at 1/72 was getting them to stay bent around tight curves on smaller masks.
Yes, I can imagine that being an issue. In larger scales they are almost invariably on fairly gentle curves or flat surfaces which don't pose the same challenge.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been a bit busy of late, a bit of a contradiction for someone who is trying to cut back on work and at least semi-retire, but there you go!

I have made a start and am still planning to get this done in time for the GB. There's not much to show, just this, though I have made and fitted undercarriage doors in the lower wings. As is often the case, those in the kit are not made to be fitted 'shut'.

start.jpg
To be honest, the cockpit is pretty basic. There are no instrument decals in the kit, so I will raid my spares to find some that look the part, even if not exactly accurate.

Anyway, this is now officially in progress.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on quicker than mine Steve!! Keep up the good work.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Steve!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Missed the start but just caught up. Looks to have decent detail although the cockpit is slightly lacking. Surprised there are no instrument decals, especially at this larger scale, but I doubt whether very much will be seen anyhow. You're off to a good start, all nice and neat, and the pilot certainly looks the part.
I have made and fitted undercarriage doors in the lower wings. As is often the case, those in the kit are not made to be fitted 'shut'.
Someone else mentioned that very same issue a while ago. I wonder why that is? :thinking:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good Steve. I like the labelling. I could probably benefit from being more orderly like that.
Yep, some of those bits could be fitted upside down on the wrong side....ask me how I know :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I stuck the wings together and joined the fuselage halves. It seemed sensible to see how those two would go together.

W-F Join.jpg

Overall the fit is not bad, it's a kit originally produced in 2007, though there are some issues at the front underneath, mainly due to some 'interesting' kit engineering. It's all doable though.