Steve's 1/32 Special Hobby P-39

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Steve. I like the labelling. I could probably benefit from being more orderly like that.
I bought a load of paints from a modeller who was giving up a few years ago, and he threw in a couple of unfinished kits. He'd used a couple of clear plastic tubs intended for frozen food, labelled port and starboard. I usually just write R and L in soft pencil though.
Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the wings on this morning.

P1010882.JPG

Not an entirely straight forward enterprise, and still some work to be done underneath, but overall not too bad.

I'll put the control surfaces on next, hopefully on the correct sides ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve, that's coming on very nicely indeed!

ATB.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve, that's coming on very nicely indeed!

ATB.

Andrew
It is!

I'm close to completing the major construction phase. It's actually quite a nice looking little aeroplane, much smaller that most American fighters. I'd never really thought about it before.

P1010884.JPG

If (big if!) I can get the rest built tomorrow I should be on schedule to finish next month. As of this Thursday I know that I'll have no time on this for six/seven days (including this weekend). Hopefully it will be ready for me to start painting after that but setting deadlines is always dangerous :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry for getting late to this Steve. That pilot is looking right at home.

Must admit hadn't realised they were smaller than most US fighters - P-47 expected of course but then I have seen smaller buses than that!

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've made some significant progress, the end is in sight!

I've applied a lot of decals, the Americans certainly like their stencils. All the national markings, walkways, etc. have been sprayed. The decals are just the dozens of stencils, the Russian slogan and emblem on the doors.

Here is where we are, obviously rather shiny and un-weathered.

P1010893.JPG

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Steve!!

Not that far to go is it!

ATB.

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It is!

I'm close to completing the major construction phase. It's actually quite a nice looking little aeroplane, much smaller that most American fighters. I'd never really thought about it before.

View attachment 495794

If (big if!) I can get the rest built tomorrow I should be on schedule to finish next month. As of this Thursday I know that I'll have no time on this for six/seven days (including this weekend). Hopefully it will be ready for me to start painting after that but setting deadlines is always dangerous :smiling3:
Love the improvised 'stand' or whatever it's called!!! Very clever.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm over the last, past the elbow and into the finishing straight!

I've made this one very matt, because that's how they seem to be once they've been in Russia for a while. I even broke out the oils and did some filters to knock everything back even further.

P1010894.JPG

I should have some time to get this finished over the next few days, and even take some of my notoriously dodgy photographs!

My next post for this one will be the finished article in the GB thread as I'm now confident that I will get it done :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

I've made this one very matt, because that's how they seem to be once they've been in Russia for a while. I even broke out the oils and did some filters to knock everything back even further.

View attachment 497344

I should have some time to get this finished over the next few days, and even take some of my notoriously dodgy photographs!

My next post for this one will be the finished article in the GB thread as I'm now confident that I will get it done :smiling3:

That's brilliant Steve. Thanks for taking part and doing something out of the usual for you.

ATB.

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

View attachment 497344

I think the matt finish is very true to life, as once in the field the last thing mechanics/fitters want to do is polish a working serviceable aircraft. They are war machines not show pieces and as such are treated accordingly. No, I think the matt is deserving of an operational aircraft!!
Brilliant work, brilliant build.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think the matt finish is very true to life, as once in the field the last thing mechanics/fitters want to do is polish a working serviceable aircraft. They are war machines not show pieces and as such are treated accordingly. No, I think the matt is deserving of an operational aircraft!!
Brilliant work, brilliant build.
Not sure about this to be honest. In one WW2 RAF pilots account I’ve read he stated the finish was down to the particular pilot. Some liked em shiny because they went faster (less friction), and some liked em to matt down because they didn’t reflect them sun when turning……
Not sure if it was the same in Russia though.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not sure about this to be honest. In one WW2 RAF pilots account I’ve read he stated the finish was down to the particular pilot. Some liked em shiny because they went faster (less friction), and some liked em to matt down because they didn’t reflect them sun when turning……
Not sure if it was the same in Russia though.

I know literally nothing about how the Russians treated their aircraft.

In the RAF it was forbidden to alter the surface finish in any way, and instructions for the cleaning of the surfaces were detailed. Some senior figures, who effectively had a personal aircraft, may have bent this rule. Waxing or polishing was specifically forbidden because it both compromised the camouflage and permeated the surface making repairs a much larger undertaking. This is the most concise of the instructions for cleaning an RAF aircraft I have, others are more long winded and detailed.

rubbingdown_zps5f3a91b6.jpg

The Americans, at least some of them, waxed/polished their aircraft. I have heard from my old mucker Nigel Julian, who interviewed survivors of the 8th Air Force's 56th Fighter Group for his book(s) that several ground crews confessed to using various products, including automotive polishes, on their airframes.

To me all the images of aircraft in Russian service look well used. I'm sure they were well maintained and the original American finishes were tough enough, I don't see much chipping or evidence of touch ups. The repairs would have to be done with 'equivalent' Russian paints (like the over painting of the blue of the US star on the port wing of this model) and I don't see much evidence for it. I don't get the impression that they were too bothered about the finish of their aircraft.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

View attachment 497344

Blimmin' Eck that's nice :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I know literally nothing about how the Russians treated their aircraft.

In the RAF it was forbidden to alter the surface finish in any way, and instructions for the cleaning of the surfaces were detailed. Some senior figures, who effectively had a personal aircraft, may have bent this rule. Waxing or polishing was specifically forbidden because it both compromised the camouflage and permeated the surface making repairs a much larger undertaking. This is the most concise of the instructions for cleaning an RAF aircraft I have, others are more long winded and detailed.

View attachment 497390

The Americans, at least some of them, waxed/polished their aircraft. I have heard from my old mucker Nigel Julian, who interviewed survivors of the 8th Air Force's 56th Fighter Group for his book(s) that several ground crews confessed to using various products, including automotive polishes, on their airframes.

To me all the images of aircraft in Russian service look well used. I'm sure they were well maintained and the original American finishes were tough enough, I don't see much chipping or evidence of touch ups. The repairs would have to be done with 'equivalent' Russian paints (like the over painting of the blue of the US star on the port wing of this model) and I don't see much evidence for it. I don't get the impression that they were too bothered about the finish of their aircraft.
What is worth mentioning. There are several types of maintenance.
Peace time! You do everything properly!
Battlefield!! Fuel em, arm them and if they’re on the ground long enough - wipe a rag over them!!
Aircraft are for flying and fighting.
I once went into battlefield mode. Knackering. All higher command want are assets to fight. They don’t have to look pretty!!