Steve's 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk 1

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This must be fate. I was visiting my local model shop to pick up a new model (see latest aquisitions) when sat on top of the second hand bargain bins were 2 Hurricanes, a 1/72 and this Airfix 1/48 Mk1. How could I possibly ignore the signs from the model gods knowing that there was a group build in progress for Hurricanes. So here I am, my first group build. Looking forward to taking part. These are the required sprue pics etc. Looks a very detailed kit.
IMGP0074.JPGIMGP0075.JPGIMGP0076.JPGIMGP0077.JPGIMGP0078.JPGIMGP0079.JPGIMGP0080.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very nice steve , looks a great kit . This tooling is fairly recent (2015 ) so it should build up fine , cheers tony

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I finally got the bench ready for the Hurricane build and made a start. Some very nice internal cockpit detail on this model albeit somewhat fiddly to piece together. Coming together slowly. Trip to the local model shop today to top up on required paints. Also the postman arrived with a nice set of photo etched seat harnesses kindly given to me by Andy (The Smythe Meister) which I shall put to good use as I wont be using the supplied pilot. Just shows what a great bunch of people are involved in this hobby and frequent the forum. Thanks again Andy.
(Sorry about quality of close ups. Hard holding camera steady)
IMGP0005.JPGIMGP0007.JPGIMGP0010.JPGIMGP0008.JPG

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well I finally got the bench ready for the Hurricane build and made a start. Some very nice internal cockpit detail on this model albeit somewhat fiddly to piece together. Coming together slowly. Trip to the local model shop today to top up on required paints. Also the postman arrived with a nice set of photo etched seat harnesses kindly given to me by Andy (The Smythe Meister) which I shall put to good use as I wont be using the supplied pilot. Just shows what a great bunch of people are involved in this hobby and frequent the forum. Thanks again Andy.
(Sorry about quality of close ups. Hard holding camera steady)
View attachment 506701View attachment 506702View attachment 506703View attachment 506704
Nice one Steve, :smiling3:
One thing to point out is,as you can clearly see from your pic,the etch fret is stamped ""1/35 Hurricane", however,they are from my Hobby Boss 1/48 kit,and it's just a franking error :thumb2:.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. :smiling3:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Steve, :smiling3:
One thing to point out is,as you can clearly see from your pic,the etch fret is stamped ""1/35 Hurricane", however,they are from my Hobby Boss 1/48 kit,and it's just a franking error :thumb2:.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. :smiling3:
I did notice that Andy but I am not aware of any Hurricanes in 1/35 scale so didn't panic.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well tonight has been decision time. There is a lot of detail on this kit that will just get covered up and be out of view if you build it as per the instructions. Whilst it will involve a bit more work I have decided to open it right up. I will be ripping into the fuzz by cutting panels out to expose the internal tube construction in and around the cockpit, opening up the gun wing covers to expose the wing mounted machine guns and going to add some flaps. Wish me luck.hurricane 3.jpeghurrican flaps.jpghurrican guns.jpg

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Good work so far Steve.

Ambitious plan but should be well worth it. Looking forward to seeing it come together, Good Luck! :thumb2:

Geoff.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well that was a tough day on the bench but finally got all the cutting out done. No major dramas. Had to leave the two smaller inner flaps in situ. Because I had already assembled most of the interior framing it was too close for comfort to cut them out. I will add some later but not using the plastic from the wing.I did a dry assembly of the wing and fuselage. Not good. There was a lot of pressure required to mate the upper and lower wing on both sides. I have done a considerable amount of sanding on the internal main wing struts to get the wings somewhere near. Still not happy with where the wing sits at the front where it joins with the fuss. I will wait and see when everything is glued and seated correctly. Other than that I now need to clean up these cuts and thin out the fuzz walls where they are visible.

IMGP0014.JPGIMGP0013.JPGIMGP0013.JPGIMGP0015.JPGIMGP0011.JPGIMGP0012.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well that was a tough day on the bench but finally got all the cutting out done. No major dramas. Had to leave the two smaller inner flaps in situ. Because I had already assembled most of the interior framing it was too close for comfort to cut them out. I will add some later but not using the plastic from the wing.I did a dry assembly of the wing and fuselage. Not good. There was a lot of pressure required to mate the upper and lower wing on both sides. I have done a considerable amount of sanding on the internal main wing struts to get the wings somewhere near. Still not happy with where the wing sits at the front where it joins with the fuss. I will wait and see when everything is glued and seated correctly. Other than that I now need to clean up these cuts and thin out the fuzz walls where they are visible.

View attachment 506854View attachment 506855View attachment 506855View attachment 506856View attachment 506857View attachment 506858
What a brave chap. No way am I ready for that level of tinkering yet!!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good job there Steve,the fuselage cut outs in particular give a huge degree of added interest. :thumb2:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good job there Steve,the fuselage cut outs in particular give a huge degree of added interest. :thumb2:
Thanks Andy. If I get it right should make for an interesting model.
Nice work Steve, you’re really taking your build up a few notches :thumb2:

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. Fingers crossed that I haven't just written off a perfectly good model. Time will tell.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So just a little bit of extra work then. LOL.

A bit late for this build but Tamiya make some excellent micro saw blades that are paper thin and can cut out in the panel lines.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great stuff steve the cut outs are really going to show all that lovely cockpit detail , cheers tony

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So just a little bit of extra work then. LOL.

A bit late for this build but Tamiya make some excellent micro saw blades that are paper thin and can cut out in the panel lines.
I will look into those Ian. I was going to use the thread cutting method but decided against it because I couldn't secure the parts during cutting and was worried that I would run off line with the thread.
Great stuff steve the cut outs are really going to show all that lovely cockpit detail , cheers tony
Thanks Tony.

Last edited: