Stinson Reliant SR-9

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys and Gals,

Ok, for todays model, I decided to go with an Older civillian personal aircraft from the 1930's, the Stinson Reliant SR-9. I cant tell you alot about the aircraft but I know that 1,327 were made from 1933 to 1941, in different models, from SR-1 to SR-10. The ultimate model, the Stinson Reliant SR-10 was introduced in 1938.

This is AMT's 1:48 scale version of this Popular Vintage aircraft. I was going to do it in "Civil Defence" markings like I have seen on a few of them, but it has already gotten late tonight and I didnt feel like looking up the insignia , converting them to .jpegs, resizing and printing my own decals....I might tomorrow since I havent put away all my building materials or as of yet found a place to display the model....right now it sits on my kitchen table waiting for a home lol.

But, Here she is outside on the hood of my pick-up truck. (If you look close, you might even see a windshield wiper arm in one of the photos. The reflection on the truck hood was achieved by "cheating"....I poured water on it before the photos lol).

I know its not a B-17 or a B-29, but, with my neck in the shape its in, smaller, quicker builds are better, but who knows, I may suprise myself and ya'll before long.

Have a good day,

greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Greg,I have this model as well,she is a real classic of an airplane,I like your paint job and that water effect is very clever too ! keep them rolling off the line.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry and Tiger,

I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words and the "thank you".

Yes, this is a real classic, or "vintage" aircraft as planes of this era are often called.

If you look closely, you might be like me and see a resemblence to the "Westland Lysander". Both aircraft were made around the same time and the "Gull wing" seemed to be the "style of the day". The thickness of that type wing has always amazed me. And although you cant see it in the photos, the wings look almost "forward swept" (although they are not what we now call a "true forward sweep").

As for the water idea....well I kinda attribute that to RJWoods, when I posted my model of the HU-15 Albatross, he suggested that I get a shot of it sitting in water and create a few "ripples" for effect.

Well although the Stinson wasnt a water bird, I got to thinking that my old trucks hood sure could use a coat of wax...I wasnt gonna wax it lastnight lol so I thought "water". And i was pleased with the effect it gave especially with the dark background and high shine and reflection from the underside of the aircraft.

I was so pleased, i just completed another model mere moments ago and photographed it in the same way....except this time it is a "water-bird". I wont say what it is, but i will have it posted in the next 20-30 minutes or so once edit all the photos for size and titles.

Have a good day and thanks again,

Greg

B

Bunkerbarge

It has the added advantage of letting you see the underside of the model in the same shot.

Nice model Greg, I agree with your Lysander comparison, an aircraft I have always thought of as 'Handsome'