Su47 Berkut

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
preping my next build while stuff is setting curing drying on my last.

Su47 Berkut (golden eagle) was a 'one off' experimental technology demonstrator first flight September 1997.

One of two HobbyBoss kits I have in the stash (the other T50 PAK-FA) the parts count seems quite low and the detail and molding from first look seems pretty good. It's Su27 heritage is quite clear, this is my first HobbyBoss build.

Su47 Berkut (1).jpg
Su47 Berkut (2).jpg
Su47 Berkut (3).jpg
Su47 Berkut (4).jpg
Su47 Berkut (5).jpg

As can be seen I've pinched a couple of 'Red Stars' from the decal sheet for a past project, this was always going to be a 'what if', nothing Japanese this time!

Miko (big imposing bird isn't it?)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Someone at Sukov wasn't reading the instructions when they put that together.

Ha! does look that way doesn't it? it does impart excellent agility but at the cost of low speed and supersonic performance, similar to the Grumman X-29, The Berkut was used as a technology demonstrator for 4.5 generation fighter, composite materials and advance material bonding techniques. This is exactly my kind of build preference

Miko (busy today)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I've competed my prebuild rituals, last build done, (no one loves the 'shelf of doom'!) cleared the bench of clutter, checked tools and materials, selected paints, made a nice cup of tea and got a few biscuits so I can sit and study the instructions for a while! maybe a YouTube search for 'extra' incentive. . .

ready!.jpg

Miko ( . . . this is stash control. . . you are cleared to build. . . . may your sprue cutters stay sharp and the carpet monster remain bannished. . God speed!) Ha!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
The cockpit is very sparse, a simple seat and control column, you'd think such an advanced jet would have HOTAS?

The instructions call for a grey/blue interior and matt black seat, that's it! I painted the interior 'what if' blue and added a little speculative detail to the seat, there are decals for the instrument panel and side consoles, also painted the wheels in Soviet style green, not sure how much access HobbyBoss had to the real thing but my photo research is a little different to theirs. To keep the 'what if' credible the landing gear has to be as the manufacturer constructed same with the dielectric panels on the leading edges of the aerodynamic surfaces and radome nose cone which appear to be slightly off white

Su47 Berkut.jpg

Next step is air intakes the the fuselage goes together

Miko (do all HobbyBoss kits have a low parts count?)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Well this thing just falls together, the fuselage, wings and empennage assembly went together in ten minutes! minimal clean up needed because of thoughtfully placed sprue gates, the tab and slot fitting is almost like a 'snap kit' type of fit, tiny bit of filler needed, probably because I got carried away with the speed of progress maybe should have taken a little more time to get it 'perfect'! Still, a squidge of Vallejo plastic putty and a moist cotton bud will make short work of any gap filling!! Unusually, each wing is just 'one' piece, no top and bottom half with this one!

'Big!' . . . . . isn't it?

Su47 Berkut (7).jpgSu47 Berkut (14).jpg

So, canopy on, mask it up and time for primer coat

Miko (finalizing the 'what if' back story)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work miko , a very interesting what if . The hobby boss kit looks about as simple as the Zvezda one I did a few years back . Funnily enough I did a what if too . The side by side comparison with the starfighter shows what a big beast it was .

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Nice work miko , a very interesting what if . The hobby boss kit looks about as simple as the Zvezda one I did a few years back .

Thanks Yak, The parts count is quite low, seems to be a HobbyBoss thing

I never knew there was a Zvezda Berkut! I see Hasegawa issued it as an Id@lmaster kit! I have one of those in the stash

Funnily enough I did a what if too . The side by side comparison with the starfighter shows what a big beast it was .

It does lend itself to 'what if' for sure, what was your 'what if' thing?

Wow! That's certainly a very interesting what if! You painting looks excellent!

Thanks Arnie, my dodgy mobile phone photography hides a lot of little paint errors! Because 'Testing Colours' paint scheme is a challenging masking job rectifying slip ups is a problem, I'm going to try a new idea (to me at least) and paint a plain white decal sheet the appropriate colours and use that to sharpen up those wavy lines!

I'll decal this next and add the landing gear and all the stuff that could get knocked off later

Su47 Berkut (32).jpgSu47 Berkut (33).jpgSu47 Berkut (34).jpg

Miko (should be done by tomorrow)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It does lend itself to 'what if' for sure, what was your 'what if' thing?
I did it as an in service Russian air force machine in the experimental ‘shark’ scheme as seen on one of the su57 / T50 prototypes - if you search su47 Berkut it should pop up

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
A lightbulb moment brings about this, because 'MoD (PE) Conspicuity Colour Scheme' is a tricky masking job I've painted white decal sheet I had left over from a Fantasy Print Shop sheet, so all those bleed through under masking along panel lines and slight over spray can be decaled back into shape!

decal paint.jpg

Although, I should have primed the sheet in the same way as I did the kit to get a consistant colour density

Miko (thinking outside the kit box!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Tadaaahh!!

Berkut.jpg

My first HobbyBoss kit was a success, low parts count but enough detail for me, others may complain it lacks a more comprehensive cockpit and landing gear bays etc. but for me it looks like great representation what it's supposed to be! Construction simple and straightforward, instructions concise enough to be understood although paint call outs could be better, decal were very thin and easily damaged (the few I used from the kit that is) maybe I've been spoiled in my last few builds by the superb behavior of Hasegawa decals

What if back story in the gallery here

Miko (once KingKit sends my package there more raspberry ripple fun to be had!)