sunderland flying boat

A

artic-corsair

has anyone built the 135" span flying boat from plans in the plans hand book as i am thinking of ordering them , i've allready got the cowls , just need to build the rest to go with them , then i can take it to beale float plane show next year.

B

Bluewavestudios

Not Sure if this one is built from the same plans but I took this pic at Woodvale many years ago, this was powered by 2 stroke engines....would have been nicer with 4 strokes but a Superb Model all the same.

I believe that this may well have been the same model as it was featured heavily in both Radio Modeller and RCM&E at the time it came out, as was the Mosquito I have posted Elsewhere on here.

Unfortunately this is the only pic of it that I have but I hope you all enjoy it all the same.

Regards.........Mark

View attachment 7033

/monthly_2004_10/Sunderland.jpg.0b54ff33c397c51e099f44fcf557eb39.jpg

View attachment 11678

View attachment 12328

Sunderland.jpg

Last edited:
D

duncan

Yes I`m sure that is the Jan Hermkens Sunderland. A lot of building(three large sheet plans from Nexus) A chap called Geoff Reichelt in Australia does `glass hulls based on these plans. A very good site with a link to Geof`s web-pages is www.seawings.co.uk or maybe dot.com, by Brian Ribbens. Massive amount pics on other seaplanes and flying-boats. A good source of kits, since the $ to £ exchange rate is so favourable at the moment, is Bill Price`s (California) range of flying-boats, see www.rcairplane.net/home List includes 3 sizes of Catalina, plus Grumman Widgeon and Albatross, Republic SeaBee (and twin version), Canadair CL-215 water bomber. In answer to other post, check with British Waterplane Assn members at Beale Park for location of club with water sites. The LMA have their own private lake but I dont think it is restricted to large models. Good luck and keep your gear dry ! Next year is the 21st anniversary of the Loch Insh Highland Splash-in, maybe see you there ? :scotland:

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Not Sure if this one is built from the same plans but I took this pic at Woodvale many years ago, this was powered by 2 stroke engines....would have been nicer with 4 strokes but a Superb Model all the same.I believe that this may well the same model as it was featured heavily in both Radio Modeller and RCM&E at the time it came out, as was the Mosquito I have posted Elsewhere on here.

Unfortunately this is the only pic of it that I have but I hope you all enjoy it all the same.

Regards.........Mark
*** What a beauty Mark,must have missed this one,the only plans that I have are for a Short Solent which was designed by some Finnish model builders,I got all of the materials together some years back but that is as far as it got,after moving house everything got dispersed.

B

Bluewavestudios

Just for info, I have re-uploaded the photo, this one should be a little clearer now as the other one was a bit dark. (Did a little enhancing using photo software, this pic is much better as it is clearer)

Regards.......Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Bluewave did she take off on the narrow track beaching dolly ? no mean feat in itself.

B

Bluewavestudios

Barry,

Yes she was flown on the dolly as you see here, I do believe that the dolly was even done to scale and she was flown very nicely and convincingly. Like I said earlier it would have been better with 4 strokes fitted but I am sure that wouldn't be a difficult job to do (albeit an expensive one for 4 of them)

Still.......... a very impressive model as the pic shows.

Regards........Mark

Last edited:
B

Bluewavestudios

Just for info, have checked out Geoff Reichelts site, some very nice pics of the Sunderland on there both real and Model including a pic of Jan's model as mentioned.

I have sent a copy of my pic to Geoff for inclusion on his gallery of the Sunderland....he says he has joined this forum and will be posting some pics of the empire flying boat soon........looking forwards to them.

Geoffs site can be found at http://home.austarnet.com.au/reichelt/Index.html

Well worth a look

Regards.........Mark

D

duncan

Ah ,the C class Empire `boats. How about a Mercury/Maia composite from a modified C class hull? Imagine eight 4stroke engines. Maia could be a re-worked DH Mosquito (4 engines and cosmetic changes). Only versions I`ve seen was a C/L job and a non-flying all alloy static one of about 72". WHEN I win the Lottery it will be on my list of things to do in my luxury island superworkshop staffed by nubile dusky...........better stop there !!!!

N

nortoi

Geoff Reichelt's site

What has happened to it?

All I get is the message that it can't be found.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What has happened to it?All I get is the message that it can't be found.
*** It looks as if the site is down for some reason ? try again in a few days time.

K

Kiwi

Some Kiwi guy living over Vancouver way has built the Solent for sure and some other large models (electric I think) including a Bristol Freighter. Can't recall his name at this stage, may have been posting on R/C Groups. If I come across more info I'll let you know.

J

Jan Hermkens

Short Sunderland

Not Sure if this one is built from the same plans but I took this pic at Woodvale many years ago, this was powered by 2 stroke engines....would have been nicer with 4 strokes but a Superb Model all the same.I believe that this may well have been the same model as it was featured heavily in both Radio Modeller and RCM&E at the time it came out, as was the Mosquito I have posted Elsewhere on here.

Regards.........Mark
Yes Mark, that is my Sunderland at Woodvale Rally in 1990 or 1991, both years I was there.

The plans are still available, by Nexus (I do'nt know if they still exist, because I cannot find there plans Service anymore or somewhere!), also in the USA (how they get there I don't know!!), also direct from me.

Have a look at my homepage:

www.home.versatel.nl/jan.hermkens/

kind regards

Jan (flying Dutchman from the Netherlands)

B

Bluewavestudios

Nice to have you on Board Jan,

Yes I think it was 1991 when I took the pic and it is a very impressive model, I did get to see see her fly too.

Do you still have this model..??? Please feel free to add my pic to your gallery. I thought it was a good shot.

Will have a look at your homepage too.

Regards....Mark.

A

anchorman

Anchorman

Hi, I am currently building the Sunderland, have a look at my photos in

photobucket,

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/DavidGore41/

Cheers

David