Superglue

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have just used some different superglues that I have not tried before and I have been impressed.

Firstly, for some time I have used Ammo Black Slow Dry for filling fine seams. This works really well and I team it up with Mr Dissolved Putty for this purpose.

New to me are the following:
Both Ammo
Instant Dry and Slow Dry. Again I would rank these among the best superglues I have tried and, over the years, I have tried a lot.

Then I used, for the first time Despae’s Non-Fogging Instant c.a. on the P38’s canopy. Again very impressed. We all know how careful we have to be with plastic cement and transparencies so we use a pva type glue instead, but that, of course, does not grip very quickly and even when it does it is not a strong grip. The answer is this non-fogging type, the instant grip really does solve an issue we all will have experienced with transparencies. In my view an essential tool to have available in future.

All the above are available from John’s shop

And, oh, the MiG Ammo Activator is also usefulimage.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I like the idea of a CA which can be used safely for clear parts. Is it a thin glue or a thicker gel type?

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
I'm struggling to believe there is so much to learn in this hobby .. i thought it was just super glue or the gel variant .. i've been using the gel so far .. mixing it with putty though .. clever but it goes off so quick ?

Hence i'm guessing the slow dry version gives you time to mix the putty then appy .. can i ask ... is slow dry like 5 mins unlike 30 sec,s for normal glue ? Sorry for the questions as this is very new to me .

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I'm struggling to believe there is so much to learn in this hobby .. i thought it was just super glue or the gel variant .. i've been using the gel so far .. mixing it with putty though .. clever but it goes off so quick ?

Hence i'm guessing the slow dry version gives you time to mix the putty then appy .. can i ask ... is slow dry like 5 mins unlike 30 sec,s for normal glue ? Sorry for the questions as this is very new to me .
The slow variety is to allow you to have a little more time to position parts. While some do mix ca with putty to fill holes that s not what ca is all about.

When using resin or metal parts it’s ca you use. It is also useful when you need to bind parts together fast, perhaps when clamping is not possible.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some people build entire plastic models with it. I don’t see the advantage myself, but hey.

FWIW, I just use Pattex superglue from a hardware store, chiefly because it comes in a dispenser that doesn’t seem to clog as often as any of the others I’ve used over the past 30+ years.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

I'm with you on this. New to the hobby myself I was amazed at how much it had moved on from the 60's. The types of glue then there's the types of glue within the types of glue!! IE, PVA, CA, plastic cement in its various forms. Then there's harry brush verses airbrush. It goes on.
Mind you, doesn't detract from the enjoyment.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have just used some different superglues that I have not tried before and I have been impressed.

Firstly, for some time I have used Ammo Black Slow Dry for filling fine seams. This works really well and I team it up with Mr Dissolved Putty for this purpose.

New to me are the following:
Both Ammo
Instant Dry and Slow Dry. Again I would rank these among the best superglues I have tried and, over the years, I have tried a lot.

Then I used, for the first time Despae’s Non-Fogging Instant c.a. on the P38’s canopy. Again very impressed. We all know how careful we have to be with plastic cement and transparencies so we use a pva type glue instead, but that, of course, does not grip very quickly and even when it does it is not a strong grip. The answer is this non-fogging type, the instant grip really does solve an issue we all will have experienced with transparencies. In my view an essential tool to have available in future.

All the above are available from John’s shop

And, oh, the MiG Ammo Activator is also usefulView attachment 489409
Thanks Barry. Will bear that in mind for the future!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have used the Mig stuff and still do but apart from the 'smart' name i find them to be no better that the cheaper ones you can buy.
In fact the last cheap ones I got from a mode shop cost half the price, had the same content (weight in grams) and ha ha where in EXACTLY the same bottle...
Can though only find it in the clear CA. The black CA is a bit handy as you can see where it is when cleaning up.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have used the Mig stuff and still do but apart from the 'smart' name i find them to be no better that the cheaper ones you can buy.
In fact the last cheap ones I got from a mode shop cost half the price, had the same content (weight in grams) and ha ha where in EXACTLY the same bottle...
Can though only find it in the clear CA. The black CA is a bit handy as you can see where it is when cleaning up.
But what about the non-fogging c.a. Ian?
Personally though I have had cheap ca that has been useless. Some in bottles that clog up quickly, some that do not even ‘stick’ well and one bottle not so long ago that had dried solid in the bottle!