Suzuki gsx1100s first ever build !

First Name
Chris
So now I’m wondering how on earth im going to prime these bits….I’ve nothing to grip so the whole part gets a coat.

What’s everyone’s method?

First Name
Chris
I'd probably glue the barrels and cam cover onto the crankcases and then hold this on the side where you'll later attach the ignition or genny cover with a bit of blu-tac onto a wooden plant pot label or similar....

Nick
Did think about that however they’re a different colour when painted according to the instruction. Suppose I could mask and paint them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So now I’m wondering how on earth im going to prime these bits….I’ve nothing to grip so the whole part gets a coat.

What’s everyone’s method?
A pack of cocktail sticks are a good way out . Most things either have a hole you can push one in. If not one can be drilled somewhere it will be covered or hidden.
For larger parts bamboo bbq skueres with a crocodile clip on the end is handy. You can also get bbq pins that have a flat 'handle' at one end a blob of blue tac on that and press the part onto that.
A block of expanded polystyrene is good to stab the sticks in as a holder.

First Name
Chris
A pack of cocktail sticks are a good way out . Most things either have a hole you can push one in. If not one can be drilled somewhere it will be covered or hidden.
For larger parts bamboo bbq skueres with a crocodile clip on the end is handy. You can also get bbq pins that have a flat 'handle' at one end a blob of blue tac on that and press the part onto that.
A block of expanded polystyrene is good to stab the sticks in as a holder.

You’re good! I’ve literally done what you’ve recommended!

Just ordered a cheap block and crocodile clips on sticks to make my life easier.

Just want to get cracking with the rest but it’s now a waiting game!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blue tack is also useful for holding things while painting. Allied to wood blocks, cocktail sticks, or lolly sticks, you can arrange for almost anything to be held for painting Chris. Be aware that the serrated jaws on crocodile clips can sometimes mark the surface of parts. Smooth aluminium hair grips are better in this regard.
This sort of thing….
9181F8AD-32BB-4F34-8544-7CC680177BAA.jpeg

First Name
Andy
If there is a flat surface that will not be seen and there are no handy holes for a cocktail stick I often heat a bit of spue with a cigarette lighter until it just melts then stick it on the part. once it's painted just twist the sprue to get it off. Downside is, non smokers will have to buy a lighter. ;)

Andy.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks good Chris. :smiling3:

No disrespect intended, but do you know about washes yet, to bring out the detail?

First Name
Chris
Looks good Chris. :smiling3:

No disrespect intended, but do you know about washes yet, to bring out the detail?
I’ve been watching some clips about that today, doesnt half make it pop.

My plan will be to try and incorporate that into my next build I think, baby steps and all that!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Fair enough, although the engines on show with this bike so you may want to reconsider. If you go down the thinned oil paint wash route you can take it all off again if you don't like it, same goes for clay washes.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Looking good i can vouch for the cocktail sticks invaluable little items and blue tack a must, panel washes realy do bring out the detail nor are they expensive Try a tamiya black its all i use and easy to apply cocktail sticks can be great for appling small amounts of glue to the exact spot
build is looking good great start
oh dont forget cotton buds ;)
simon