Swordfish finished

T

tecdes

View attachment 57427View attachment 57419View attachment 57422View attachment 57424View attachment 57425View attachment 57426View attachment 57428

Finished at last a marathon. There is a lot and more in this model.

Got to admit that towards the end lost a bit of enthusiasm. It will be a long time before & try another one this intricate. Famous last words ?

My first try at weathering or making it dirty. I made it dirty but the result is a bit amateurish although the photos exaggerate the effect unfortunately

To those who may try this model & Tamiya did a great job it really is a first class model. Everything fits !.

The rigging. Make sure the wings are really glued solid. Let myself down here. The struts will just ping. Also just glue in one end of the strut & leave the other end free in its slot. The wings have a certain spring & the strut will either ping or bend.

Fix the wings before strutting the rigging. I decided to finish each wing with the struts in place before glueing into the fuselage. Unhappily a mistake.

Laurie

View attachment 59374

View attachment 59377

View attachment 59379

View attachment 59380

View attachment 59381

View attachment 59382

View attachment 59383

P1290914.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic work Laurie. The attention to detail, the rigging and the finishing are all top class work which have made your finished Swordfish into a great model. With all that rigging, you are indeed a brave man. A marathon well run sir.

M

mobear

i like it alot laurie,for a first go at a swordfish i will give you 5*s,and i have taken note of your mistakes,as this is one plane i really want to build at some point

mobear

C

CDW

there's nothing wrong with that Laurie !!

it looks very natural In the photos. the rigging is crack on too

5 stars for that from me

First Name
Michael
Great job Laurie, I reckon you got the weathering spot on 5*. M

S

Sky Raider

Top job Laurie 5 stars from me to. Id love to see a close up of the crew if i could please. It would be a shame not to see all that time and effort you put into them.

Cheers

Andy

A

andyrobs

Hi Laurie, cracking build mate, top notch and well worthy of a big fat 5 stars from me

Cheers, Andrew

D

Danny

This is incredible work Laurie, Give me 6 months and I will have a go myself...5 stars, my first, and if I could give you more i would just for the quality under the situation you find yourself...very well done..

Danny

T

treyzx10r

A most excellent looking Stringbag Laurie! The finish was well worth the wait ,every bit of detail and weathering looks awesome! 5star build for sure,very nicely done Sir!!!!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is one great Stringbag there Laurie. Excellent weathering.

The rigging looks a real challenge to me and what you have done looks great to me, a challenge you have really risen to.

I am thinking that I might get the Trumpy 32 scale one, but the thought of the rigging does put me off a bit.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Totally love it. Always liked the Stringbag

T

tecdes

Thanks for all your comments. Pleased to be able to share my efforts. Pleased it is done. Now to the model I bought when I embarked on model making 2.5 years ago a Lysander 1/32.

View attachment 57438View attachment 57439View attachment 57440

Andy close up of the crew including before fitting.

Dave W. Rigging. Frustrating. Darn things will ping off in any direction. Soon found it was best to attach a bit of tape. I would make sure the wings are really glued in tight & firmly as you will get a bit of movement. I glued both ends with C/A thin. But soon found it was best to glue the top joint & just let the other end lay in the lower wing slot to take up any wing movement. If you do not I found some of the struts had a bow. Make sure you drill the slots in the wings before assembly. Painted the rigging a medium grey. The say natural steel but that looks a bit jazzy.

Barry I think that the 1/32 will give a better chance with the rigging. The only thing is do they supply the rigging. The rigging is not the original wire rope type. They are flat metal about one inch by half an inch according to the infor from Yeovilton museum. So elastic or fishing wire would look strange especially at 1/32 scale as it is more obvious.

Laurie

View attachment 59393

View attachment 59394

View attachment 59395

figures.jpg

1.jpg

backFIGURES.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Laurie she's a real beauty all that hard work has paid off and the weathering looks great. You made a real good job of the rigging I didn't envy you when you got to that stage 5*.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What a beauty!

I think you've made a wonderful job of that,rigging and all. Sooner you than me,I'll be sticking to monoplanes :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nowt wrong with that ***** build Laurie!

Gern

T

tecdes

Thanks Vaughan & Steve.

Steve I also will now be sticking to mono believe me. Near at times to getting out the hammer !!!!!!

Laurie