T-60 1/72 ace

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well I needed to prime these little chaps but no way was I going to get the AB out just for three or four drops of paint
20230114_171244.jpg20230114_171235.jpg And with this one still waiting to cross the finishing line
20221208_194146.jpg
20221208_194458.jpg
I desperately needed a plan that would jolly me along so the plan is to build this
20230114_145540.jpg
Prime it and the figures then finish the 35er before touching the T-60 so whats in the box
20230114_145701.jpg
Not a lot ,not too sure about the rubber band tracks much prefere link or link and length there is also a fret of photo etch ,limited run mouldings mean the hull and running gear aren't too clever due to the fact this chassis was used for countless other kits but the turret mouldings look nice and sharpe also in the box I found this cant even remember buying it but according to the receipt in the box it was purchased at the same time as the kit from jadar hobbies.
20230114_145520.jpg
So then with my enthusiasm running high (nothing excites like a little bit of tru scale plastic )ive got all the turret components ready to go
20230114_154413.jpg
The three upright pieces middle bottom are the kit barrel on the left the other two ali tubing id cut as replacement barrels looking like the right hand side tube is the way to go ,still being tube I dont have to try and drill it out saving the constant use of the f word and a ever decreasing barrel length. I did make a start last night so will make a progress report soon. Dave
PS As usual sorry for the pic heavy waffle but hey.........

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
So turret and hull tub put together fit of parts were bang on ,I will admit I was quite surprised ive built quite a few ace kits so was expecting the worse ,only real bother has been the plastic I don't know why but started off using TET not my go to I must admit but found it really aggressive so switched to mr hobby not happy with that really doesn't seem a strong bond ,shall have to get some of the coloured AK stuff out of the cupboard. So apart from that alls cool beans. Dave 20230115_150256.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Dave. T60 is coming on a treat. Love the Perry chaps especially. I’ve got a box of those somewhere…….I do wish they wouldn’t run the mould line down the centre of the face though. Makes clean up harder than it needs to be.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
looks like your well on your way with the build Dave….looks pretty good from here :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice work Dave. T60 is coming on a treat. Love the Perry chaps especially. I’ve got a box of those somewhere…….I do wish they wouldn’t run the mould line down the centre of the face though. Makes clean up harder than it needs to be.
Thanks Tim as I said there a little side step I dont know how serious I'll get with it ive no intention of playing war games(more of a DOOM person on the ps4)just fancied a little change ,you've made me feel guilty now ive looked at the pics perhaps they do need a bit more cleaning up I will show my endeavours though once I get going. Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seat please Dave.
Interesting to read about the glue when using TET , maybe that's why my short spell of 1/72 end in disaster !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim as I said there a little side step I dont know how serious I'll get with it ive no intention of playing war games(more of a DOOM person on the ps4)just fancied a little change ,you've made me feel guilty now ive looked at the pics perhaps they do need a bit more cleaning up I will show my endeavours though once I get going. Dave
Wasn’t supposed to make you feel guilty Dave. I know how hard they are to clean up…..takes me as long to clean ‘em as it does to paint ‘em…..

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Seat please Dave.
Interesting to read about the glue when using TET , maybe that's why my short spell of 1/72 end in disaster !
John no need to ask for a seat as always my friend you know yours is the one with the reserved marker ,the plastic on this one is very soft compared to say the UM kits theirs is usually hard green stuff ,I think all their kits(ACE)use this softer grey stuff it could be to do with the limited run moulds ?but the TET really attacked it ,I do prefer the mister hobby stuff any over spill so to speak evaporates off much cleaner than TET. Personally I dont think your little foray into 72nd was a disaster we all get like it sometimes you expected too much from yourself to soon. It seems your niche in life your comfort zone are your dios just brilliant each one better than the last . Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
So more pic's and waffle ,built the upper hull no real dramas a little bit of fettleing but if you've ever built a ACE kit it goes with the territory ,little drop of filler but nothing to throw the toys out for
20230116_155058.jpg
Sorry not a very good pic ,dropping the loovers in was fun but worthy of giving myself a pat on the back ,put the etch on thinking it looked strange but thats how the instructions show it......aah then I noticed that apparently I should have cut up a tea bag to form a grill over the loovers oh well were worry about that later.
Being a short run kit I did mention that the running gear sprue would be well used as quit a few diffrent kits produced using this chassis.
20230116_151020-1.jpg
So what the CA encrusted scaple is pointing at are the (don't know the techie word)stubby axel bits for the return rollers ,thats what I thought ,so drilled out the back of the rollers and inserted some brass rod drilled out the hull sides to take the rod.
20230116_154728.jpg
As you can see the swing arms for the road wheels aren't very beefy but you do get a choice of drive sockets ,the little round axel cap thingys were glued to the road wheels before removing them from the sprue ,I built all the running gear last night leaving till today with the faint hope of not being too delicate.
20230118_085117.jpg
Thoes with a keen eye will notice second from right should be at the rear but hey ho don't tell anybody ,also preformed a little dentistry on the drive sprocket.
My big worry was the rubber band tracks and the awfully weak running gear ,no laughing ,I gave the track a gentle stretch then making sure I had enough track to make the wrap started half under the second from right road(the wrong one) wheel tacked it as I went using CA knowing i had plenty to spare trying to incorporate some sag
20230118_085059.jpg
Not perfect but I was well pleased so just the other side to go , WAKE UP it wasn't that boring I'll make another report once its ready to take the add on armour etch. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Have done the last of the mince pies yesterday and in the last few minuets finished the last packet of cashew nuts the best bit of them sticking a licked finger into the corner of the packet and getting the salt out. So kits all built and ready for the add on armour photoetch up grade set stuff I did oo and ahh about using it but if I don't it won't ever get used so hoping to get started on that soon.
This has been a cracking little kit apart from the couple of things mentioned its been a pleasure just about the right amount of awkwardness to make it feel worth while apart from replacing one part with some plastic strip ,the barrel with ali tubing and putting some hinges along the top of the side bins thats it ,the photoetch that came with the kit was nice and easy to get on with some of it very tiny but hey as I've told many a girl small is beautiful.
As you can see this one is very small even Iwas surprised looking at the pictures.......
20230119_210223.jpg
20230119_210313.jpg

20230119_210438.jpg20230119_210401.jpg
Not to sure about the tea bag grill but ill see what happens with the paint. Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My missus said "Small is beautiful - mmmm - possibly - if it's weighed using carats as the measure perhaps! "(That's why I'm skint I think ... )
Steve

• Love
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Dave, that moulding looks pretty bad , but appears nothing phases you.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well done getting it together Dave, no easy task….but its looking good :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice progress Dave. Good hints there about return rollers and rubber band tracks as well…..
Cracking work
Well done getting it together Dave, no easy task….but its looking good :thumb2:
Thanks for the continued encouragement chaps ACE their not great little kits anybody whos built or tried to will have their own story to tell but as I've argued here before no such thing as a bad kit just not as good as some of the others ,personally (me and me alone not asking anybody else to)I dont mind the tinkering needed to get them up and running your talking what 8-12 squids maybe if you shop around so I dont expect to find 60 squid contents in the box. I have learnt that like with this one short run moulds soon show if like this hull tub and running gear are used for several diffrent types you can end up with a box of two halfs. Biggest bug bear being the instructions a line and arrow pointing to somewhere there will do causes bald patches from head scratching sometimes referring to box art or painting guide for more of a idea. Also keep half a eye on the next stage will what your doing now make that part awkward once you get your head around them I find it much more satisfying than shake and bake(before some kick off ive no problem with s/b). Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work dave , despite being primarily an aircraft builder im partial to small scale armour