Tag Picture Quiz

D

Deleted member 6559

It's a British (?) naval boarding axe. Used by sailors boarding an enemy vessel for defence, to cut rigging and create as much damage as possible to that vessel.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
In this close up you can just make out the George III crown and initials.Below that is the ordnance board symbol. So yes it's a Royal Navy standard issue boarding axe from anywhere between 1760 ish to 1850. Designed to do as much damage as possible to man and machine.
Used by any member of the boarding party who chose it.Also cutlass,pike and pistol etc.
Jon.
british-navy-boarding-ax-aus-crown-bo.jpg

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
In this close up you can just make out the George III crown and initials.Below that is the ordnance board symbol. So yes it's a Royal Navy standard issue boarding axe from anywhere between 1760 ish to 1850. Designed to do as much damage as possible to man and machine.
Used by any member of the boarding party who chose it.Also cutlass,pike and pistol etc.
Jon.
View attachment 309505

I used the SA80 and 9mm Browning for my boarding party duties :cool: a lot better, the enemy didn't need to be so close then :smiling:

Lee

D

Deleted member 6559

Who is this entertaining troops?

52423b46-5c2a-4b46-a15b-1b76ff169d9Tagiginal.png

Extra points for where and when.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I used the SA80 and 9mm Browning for my boarding party duties :cool: a lot better
Did I just see a former British serviceman describe the L85A1 as better than any other random weapon you care to name? :smiling3:

The intro to this video is quite good in that regard:

(The whole Forgotten Weapons series on the SA80 is definitely worth watching if firearms development and functioning interests you, BTW. It explains a lot of the reasons why it wasn’t very good, and gives insights into what it could have been.)

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Did I just see a former British serviceman describe the L85A1 as better than any other random weapon you care to name? :smiling3:

The intro to this video is quite good in that regard:

(The whole Forgotten Weapons series on the SA80 is definitely worth watching if firearms development and functioning interests you, BTW. It explains a lot of the reasons why it wasn’t very good, and gives insights into what it could have been.)

Actually Jakko I preferred the SLR (not the camera!) But we could use them for boarding!

Everybody knows that the most formidable weapon the humble British serviceman has at his disposal is a rapier sharp wit!

Sharp as a bag of stones! Lol

Lee

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oh, HMS Campbeltown....destroyed in St Nazaire raid.....started as USS Buchanan, Wikes class destroyer lend lease supplied.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Well spotted Tim.
The Town class destroyer USS Buchanan 131. This is before being handed over to Britain and renamed Campbeltown.Served briefly with the Royal Dutch Navy before her final outing to St.Nazaire.
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, easy one this, something mechanical......
DBE1248A-DBFE-4617-B27F-ADA96BFA3D52.jpeg

What is this?