Takom 1/35 SADF G6 Rhino

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Before it went into production the prototypes were fielded against Soviet & Cuban backed forces in the then not so Cold War, conflict on the border of the then South West Africa (Namibia) and Angola. This indigenously developed 155mm mobile artillery shares dna with the current German Panzerhaubitzer 2000 fielded in the Ukraine. The 52 calibre variant of the G6 has a world record ballistic range of about 76km.
Anyway, this will be the early version that served on the border.

For a 90km/h, 6 wheeled, behemoth, this is not a small vehicle.

The kit is not small either.

Funnily enough, my images are too big to post, so I'll post them later.

Till next time.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Here is the kit.
1000026065.jpg
1000026067.jpg
Surprisingly, there is quite a bit of flash around the ejector points. Most of it is not visible, but there are two in the drivers cab, but relatively easy to deal with.
1000026103.jpg
The suspension is quite complex, have a look at this.

1000026128.jpg
1000026125.jpg
The stabilisers and drivers cab are mostly done.
1000026126.jpg
1000026127.jpg
Now I have to work out a painting strategy.

Till the next update. :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Getting on well .I'm in .

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just give you an idea of how big the turret is, about 6 fully grown men can stand in it.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I'm adopting a modular build approach.
1000026169.jpg
There was a nasty surprise with regards to the copula's as the vision blocks and the body are one and the same. Some careful masking is required.
1000026168.jpg
Onwards and upwards, till the next update.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like an impressive model of an impressive vehicle.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
As you can see into the driver cabin, I decided to add a driver.
I chose the driver from the MiniArt British AFV crew to adapt for the job.

1000026210.jpg
1000026211.jpg
1000026221.jpg
His uniform only comes in one colour, Nutria Brown. So, I'll probably paint him dark earth/buff, the interior is Cremeweiss and khaki green, with a black dashboard and steering wheel.

In wanting to build the early "prototype" variant that drove 2400km from South Africa to the deployment zone on the Angolan border, I will have to "junk" some of the later mods and accessories that are featured in the kit.

This will require some thought and pondering.

Till the next update.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Is that the official South African name for it? ;) (My mind also connects “Nutria Brown” to Nutricia …)
Have a read here.

A very interesting read.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Is that the official South African name for it? ;) (My mind also connects “Nutria Brown” to Nutricia …)
Actually, that is interior colour called in kit, supplied by AK.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I kind of would expect it to be plain white, not cream white, but trying to find pictures of the inside of a G6 is proving a bit difficult. I did find that the glass has a very clear green hue to it, though, undoubtedly because of its thickness:

kAWOsnV.jpg

(from a walkaround on Armorama)

I guess if you also incorporate that, then the exact shade of white for the interior is not that important anymore :smiling3:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I kind of would expect it to be plain white, not cream white, but trying to find pictures of the inside of a G6 is proving a bit difficult. I did find that the glass has a very clear green hue to it, though, undoubtedly because of its thickness:

kAWOsnV.jpg

(from a walkaround on Armorama)

I guess if you also incorporate that, then the exact shade of white for the interior is not that important anymore :smiling3:
Yes, an interesting point there. Why cremeweiss and not just plain white?
Anyway, that is a small point.
Till next time.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, I have been tinkering with the turret and almighty 44 calibre 155mm main gun.
Removed to top storage rail that I had initially fitted, removed the bush bar mounting detail around smoke launchers.
1000026628.jpg
Fitter rear access door and decking, just missing a deck chair...
1000026635.jpg
Mounted rear flood light and tread plates and trial fitted the rear storage/electronics module.
1000026629.jpg
1000026630.jpg
The main gun mount is proving to be a pickle and may require scratch building to simplify to look similar to the prototype.
1000026634.jpg
The storage boxes were not there...

Anyway, some more pondering to do.

Till next time

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Was this in Namibia or Angola, or is it a South Rhodesian vehicle? As they had similar ones in service in the 1970s. Telefoonhokkie makes it sound like it’s from Amsterdam, though ;)

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Was this in Namibia or Angola, or is it a South Rhodesian vehicle? As they had similar ones in service in the 1970s. Telefoonhokkie makes it sound like it’s from Amsterdam, though ;)
Yeah, Dutch is the root language of Afrikaans. Though, today some say that Flemmish is closer. Apparently that vehicle featured on the then South West African and Angolan border. Necessity is mother of invention. They had similar beasties in the then Rhodesia that featured water filled tyres and a circular roll cage to counter the plague of landmines. These all predated what we commonly refer to as the modern MRAP, that are follow on's from the SADF Mamba that was made under licence in the USA. The Mamba which is the descendent of the Buffel/Caspir will be a future build, which will be based on a simplified RG-31 kit.