Tamiya 1/12 Honda RC166 - Mike Hailwood

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Often been tempted by that. What's it like to build..

You have made a great job of it.

R

Richy C

Very nice Andy looks superb , I`ve got this in the stash , I know you said apart from the wheels don`t ask but :smiling3: I`m asking please , I normally strip chrome parts in kits and use alclad but the kit chrome wheels look fantastic , what issues did you have must admit from looking in the box they do look a little complex ,

Cheers

Richy

T

Tibbs

\ said:
Often been tempted by that. What's it like to build..
You have made a great job of it.
Would love to take the credit for it........ But you may want to move the great build gong you gave me:D

S

snapper41

OK - the saga of the wheels....

I stripped off the chrome with bleach, and then ran them under a warm tap to get rid of the excess. It was then I discovered that the wheels are resin, not styrene; the hot water bent the spokes! I managed to get them back in shape, and then sprayed them Alclad Chrome over gloss black base. When I tried to stick the parts together, they wouldn't - Alclad Chrome doesn't glue together that well. So, I clamped them, and the clamps slipped and bit into the spokes, shattering them. So, I had a choice of shelling out on the Tamiya metal upgrade set, or trying to get replacements. The wonderful people at The Hobby Company (Tamiya UK importers) sent me a new fret of wheels for £12 - as opposed to £60 plus for the metal set! So, this time I stripped the bleach and ran them under cold water, then assembled the wheels before painting them - success this time...

R

Richy C

Cheers mate s--t happens to us all , seeing I want to weather it a bit I`m tempted to leave the wheels alone , to be fair to tamiya for once the chrome looks quite realistic with this kit. the tamiya metal upgrade wheels do look fantastic but as you say expensive , as for the metal chain set far too small for my fingers and eyes , but I do fancy the fork and rivet upgrade sets.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's a cracking job Andy ............. I really like that. Five Big Stars from me and........ Have yourself a cigar for that build.

Peter

First Name
Dave
Great build Andy.I went to a World Superbike round at Brands Hatch some years ago One of these was ridden on a demonstration lap between races.What a sound from that six cylinder engine!.Incredibly loud.Built in the days before noise regs.

T

treyzx10r

Andy glad to hear you got hooked up on the wheels,they look awesome as does the rest of the build! Nice to see a Mike the bike ride thats not the Ducati! Very nicely done Sir!