Tamiya 1:32 F-14

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
My thoughts entirely but need to add all the external bits and also the phoenix missiles and drop tanks. Might go and do a bit of that now.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Nav' lights sprayed in with clear red and green.
Front gun pod sprayed titanium.
Filled the crack around the nose cone with putty so it's not as evident.

Also,Tamiya supply two sets of the covers that go behind the wings. I have cut one down so it fits for wings either way (extended or swept back). Going to need to fill with putty around the edges before masking and spraying however simply slotting these in places not an option.

Canopy I cannot even bring myself to photograph currently :loudly-crying:

IMG_20231129_211005.jpgIMG_20231129_211000.jpgIMG_20231129_210957.jpgIMG_20231129_210954.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nav' lights sprayed in with clear red and green.
Front gun pod sprayed titanium.
Filled the crack around the nose cone with putty so it's not as evident.

Also,Tamiya supply two sets of the covers that go behind the wings. I have cut one down so it fits for wings either way (extended or swept back). Going to need to fill with putty around the edges before masking and spraying however simply slotting these in places not an option.

Canopy I cannot even bring myself to photograph currently :loudly-crying:

View attachment 496309View attachment 496310View attachment 496311View attachment 496312
HI James have sent you a pm an love seein the airbrakes open in the pancake an i hope to do the same on mine
chrisb

Last edited:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Yes more photos. Sorry if the amount is going to crash the site.
After doing the nav' lights, that aren't nav' lights these have been redone as formation lights but also did all the ones of missed.
Mixed sand, luminous green, clear green, silver and light duck agg for this.

Also filled the gaps round the covers behind the wings and painted these dark grey.

Lastly made a start on the drop tanks and phoenix missiles. Found photos of missiles grey with white heads and vice versa, opted for mainly grey.
Now gloss varnish is drying and decals on these next.

IMG_20231130_144854.jpgIMG_20231130_144848.jpgIMG_20231130_144732.jpgIMG_20231130_144729.jpgIMG_20231130_144724.jpgIMG_20231130_144717.jpgIMG_20231130_134600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_134555.jpg
    IMG_20231130_134555.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 3

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Another full day and plenty of progress.

I have done all nav' lights, resprayed nose cone (have to retouch the metal where the gun pod is), touched in all the flat black around the cockpit sides and rear, completed painting and varnishing munitions (decals to go) and also sprayed the foot wells for the steps to the cockpit.
Oh and stuck the arrestor hook together, what a pig to paint that is. Masking the stripes isn't that hard but the panel lines mean the paint leaches.

At least now I have the new canopy coming I have a scrap one I can use instead of masking the cockpit.
Hopefully get the first coat of varnish on tomorrow. Two coats of gloss before decals, more varnish, weathering and then more varnish.

IMG_20231130_184053.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Another project with hampered progress, this time as the ultrasonic I am waiting for is needed to clean out both air brushes. Used them an awful lot recently and they are at that stage where nothing short of a full strip, soak and clean will do.

I did manage to start doing the decals on the Phoenix missiles today, need to get them varnished to complete them but they look ok.

The drop tanks have no decals however there is a suggestion they should have bands across them on the top half? I am going to do some black ones airbrushed on just to add some detail as they are a bit plain I think personally.

IMG_20231204_222058.jpgIMG_20231204_215429.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI James see i told you that you had the makins of makin this a good build an not puttin a hammer through it very well done sir only hope mine will turn out as good
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
HI James see i told you that you had the makins of makin this a good build an not puttin a hammer through it very well done sir only hope mine will turn out as good
chrisb
Thanks Chris,

It's been a hard slog and I'm not happy with it but its ok. It would certainly make me think twice before buying another old kit.

As for the canopy I finally got a dispatch notification yesterday, God knows when it will arrive but it's halted anymore progress really.

Be interesting to see how it goes when it comes to panel lining it as a lot got sanded away and I didn't take a lot of time redoing them as I should have. All part of the learning curve though!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Oh and as for the decals, due to age they are VERY fragile!
WELL James if you are worried about the old decals splintin then do like i did an buy a new set from hannants if you can afford it ? an just askin but what is your avatar A ROCKET launchin or like mine a nuke goin off ?
chrisb

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
WELL James if you are worried about the old decals splintin then do like i did an buy a new set from hannants if you can afford it ? an just askin but what is your avatar A ROCKET launchin or like mine a nuke goin off ?
chrisb
Tbh Chris I don't want to spend any more on it. The decals are doable but they need a just real long soak so they float off and then they apply ok. Basically patience is the key with them. I have also been using softener which makes a big difference.
The bulk of the decals are an after market set which are new for the NAS Fallon scheme.

It's a Nuke going off, but a CGI image I think. Your pic inspired me, I find the testing in the 50s onwards really interesting, there's a great museum dedicated to it in Vegas.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Tbh Chris I don't want to spend any more on it. The decals are doable but they need a just real long soak so they float off and then they apply ok. Basically patience is the key with them. I have also been using softener which makes a big difference.
The bulk of the decals are an after market set which are new for the NAS Fallon scheme.

It's a Nuke going off, but a CGI image I think. Your pic inspired me, I find the testing in the 50s onwards really interesting, there's a great museum dedicated to it in Vegas.
OK James but this is just my opinion regards them decals yes soak them in a dish of warm water but try an keep them on the backin paper so you can just slide them off onto the plane as if you wait till they float off an they splinter you will be in trouble as ive had this happen on my jag but up to you sir an im glad i inspired you on my avatar of my nuke goin off an my idea for this came from my USS NIMITZ aircraft carrier model bein nuke powered so i thought a nuke esploshion very fitting for my avatar as yes very pretty colors as i cant remember who but someone thought it was a sunset as it does look like it a bit an yes i like your avatar very much great stuff
chrisb

Last edited:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
OK James but this is just my opinion regards them decals yes soak them in a dish of warm water but try an keep them on the backin paper so you can just slide them off onto the plane as if you wait till they float off an they splinter you will be in trouble as ive had this happen on my jag but up to you sir an im glad i inspired you on my avatar of my nuke goin off an my idea for this came from my USS NIMITZ aircraft carrier model bein nuke powered so i thought a nuke esploshion very fitting for my avatar as yes very pretty colors as i cant remember who but someone thought it was a sunset as it does look like it a bit an yes i like your avatar very much great stuff
chrisb
Yeah I am keeping them on the paper, just meant they need to be at the stage where they are basically floating off as any interference even with a very light bristled brush breaks them.

Was hoping my parcels would come today but alas nothing :disappointed2:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
In other news applied two coats of gloss varnish today.
What varnish do others on here use? I use Vallejo acrylic based, it never really seems to come out gloss if that makes sense?