Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk IXc

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This won't be a fully detailed build log, there are many of them all over the web and also far more detailed than I could ever manage.

Anyway, this model is famous and just has no vices. Everything fits where it should, if it doesn't fit, you made a mistake.

My wife commented that the build doesn't seem to be taking too long (I'm on a dead line of December 5th) as I said to her, that's because the endless process of trial fit, modify and repeat, then fill and sand just isn't needed here.

So, where am I up to, pictures.

View attachment 119618

View attachment 119619

View attachment 119620

View attachment 119621

All of the above is out of the box, apart from a few extra small decals I threw in.

I've started work on the wings, which have about 80 parts in their construction alone. I've built models with fewer parts than that !

Colin M..

Left fuselage.JPG

Right fuselage.JPG

Cockpit in place 2.JPG

Cockpit in place.JPG

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That office is coming along beautifully. I am looking forward to starting the first of my three that are in my stash but it wont be until late next year I expect, in the meantime I will enjoy watching your build Colin...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's a great build of a modern classic kit. Keep up the great work Colin. Any thoughts on what aircraft?

Cheers

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful cockpit Colin , the painting and weathering/washing is superb , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for having a look. So, finally a bit more has been done.

View attachment 120514

The fuselage halves are attached. All went well even for such a large model. The gun sight reflector isn't in place yet.

View attachment 120512

The rudder and other moving surfaces are allowed to move using the above pin and PE hinge assembly.

View attachment 120515

Aileron is attached in the same way.

View attachment 120513

But do I need movable bits and pieces ? I'm not sure.

I'm starting work on the wing now. There's about 76 parts in all to make the wings, not including guns. I've made full kits with a lower part count !!

Colin M...

Rudder hinge assembley.JPG

Moveable rudder.JPG

Snug cockpit.JPG

Aileron.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Very nice work so far Colin. I've got a big box containing a Tamiya P51-D & I was wondering the same thing about the movable control surfaces.

I guess they're useful to have but not essential?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Very nice work so far Colin. I've got a big box containing a Tamiya P51-D & I was wondering the same thing about the movable control surfaces.
I guess they're useful to have but not essential?
My ailerons are such a loose fit, I think I'll have to glue them in place anyway to stop them flapping around !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very nice progress work Colin. That cockpit is very impressive.

B

Benhur

Can I ask did you not need to build an engine before joining the fuselage halves. Great work on the cockpit.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A beautiful model and you are certainly doing it justice Colin

Benhur - no, there is an extensive engine build that will fit to the front of the aircraft. The engineering is superb with the engine panels being ultra thin with magnets so they are removable.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Can I ask did you not need to build an engine before joining the fuselage halves. Great work on the cockpit.
As Barry explained the engine fits onto the front later. The engineering of this Tamiya kit is really something quite amazing.

Well, I've built the wings, as I said earlier, about 76 parts make up the wings.

These little bits are used to create the wheel well.

View attachment 120627

View attachment 120630

And then wings completed, including a nice wing spar to keep it all in line. Some say the gun blisters are the wrong shape. For me, it's not important, they're close enough.

View attachment 120631

Right, I'm of to do a bit of an engine.

Wheel well parts.JPG

Wheel well.JPG

Wing spar.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, the engine is finished, properly this time, including the bits I had sort of forgotten to fit last time. The exhaust is a bit of a pain, six individual pieces (6 each side, 12 in total) to be fitted. But, surprisingly the fit is a little bit loose so alignment is very important.

View attachment 122474

Primer. This is the Vallejo primer. It's the first time I've used the stuff. I would normally use any 'car type' primer, but thought with a model like this, I would be a bit more delicate and use my airbrush. It worked well straight from the bottle, but did take longer to dry.

Now then, don't be concerned by the poor fit of the panels. The access door is just there to fill a hole and the engine panels are held in place with tape. These panels normally, through the use of tiny magnets, cling onto the engine assembly, which is not present at the moment. But, I need to paint them in place so I get the demarcation lines between the camouflage colours correct.

View attachment 122475

Any questions etc, fire away.....................

Engine completed.JPG

Primer.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks ready to fire up colin!!! They really are the DB's arent they these Tamiya 1/32 , one of these days im going to cave in and get one! Keep it up mate its going to be a beauty. , cheers tony