Tamiya 1/35 Churchill Vii Crocodile

F

Fenlander

Ordered this a few days ago with a view to joining in on a GB on another forum. Glad I ordered it but already talked myself out of the GB as I don't need the pressure right now.

image_20.jpe

However, after a quick look in the box, I am really impressed with this kit. It was released in 1977, it will be older than quite a few members of this forum! Ok, I will be honest it lacks detail in some areas, thinks like solid grab handles etc but they are simple to sort out just cut 'em off and replace wit a bit of bent wire.

The fine cast surface of the turret sides is gorgeous and looks in scale. The 'rubber band' tracks (not used these for years) actually look stunning even if, as I have heard, they are too short!

It is the original release, for some reason advertised as 'limited edition' ..... what, for 38 years? That isn't that limited in my book.... Anyway, it has two figures in the box which I new would be the usual Tamiya, under scale and soft. But wait! I had to actually take them from the poly bag as I couldn't believe how nicely moulded they are.

It's Tamiya, I know it will be a nice easy build (which is probably why I ordered photo etch set for it, just to make it a bit more complex). Apart from some obviously dated features, like solid grab handles and rubber band tracks, this looks to be a beautifully moulded kit that will be a pleasure to build.

On top of that, it's a lot bigger than I expected, especially with the chunky trailer. Add to that the fact that this, what will be an impressive model, costs half of what new 1/35 armour costs. Does it need £30 odd spending on it for replacement tracks? Nope, most of the track is fully enclosed and the rubber bands look superb. Only other thing I have bought for it is a metal turned barrel, cost me under £5.

So, what is the morel of this story? The morel is that there are loads of really nice kits out there that are getting on a bit that can be had for a good price and will make great models, go get 'em while they are hot.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I had this kit, used the tank in a dio and the trailer parts may have been used. It is a nice kit with loads of bits, think you can do a couple of versions, not sure.

Nice find Graham.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Here we are, I used it in this dio. Was rather pleased with how the tank went together.

DSCF3676_zps0624d909.jpg

J

Jase

Have to agree as somebody thats been involved in model forum management and official builds its pressure that detracts from the fact this is a hobby. looking forward to what you do with the kit

Jase

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will be Looking forward to this Graham,as I don,t tend to do Brit,or US so always nice to see, ;)