Tamiya 1/35 Leopard A4

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is another tank my Grandson gave me to build.

I've not much interest in modern stuff, but I'm chuffed he entrusts me to make it for him.

P1170652.JPG

I made a start yesterday and did the back end, wheels etc. I won't bore you with shots of the wheels, we all know what they look like - and how many there can be.......

What I did find was a huge gap between the lower and upper hulls. If it were my model, I wouldn't bother filling it, but as it's for him, I want to do my best, so I used plastic card to bridge the gaping hole.
P1170650.JPG
That's it so far.

Cheers all,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to have my buddies along for the build.....

After those diddy ships, this is like making and painting a barn door!

I'm using Vallejo Model Air acrylics, brushed on as usual, because I don't have the right colours in other brands.......:D

Here is the lower hull, under coated, with the paint nicely worked into all the nooks and crannies, and drive sprockets and idler wheels, etc. fitted.

P1170659.JPG

Cheers all,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Right, I was determined to get those b****y wheels on and painted before tonight, so I got stuck in......and here we are.

Apart from another coat of paint, here is the lower hull as far as I can take it for now. I've left off a few things, to hopefully make the cammo. painting easier.

First coat of olive drab done, but the light on the work surfaces have reflected on the model........honest!

The tyre call out was matt black - no chance. Right or wrong, I prefer the paler, scuffed look.
P1170663.JPG

P1170666.JPG

P1170667.JPG

Next up, the tracks, upper hull and side skirts.

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This afternoon I managed to paint and fit the tracks.....

P1170668.JPG

P1170670.JPG

Now't fancy. I just wanted a dusty, scuffed look, as the tank will be modelled on a country road, and not charging across some rough ground.
P1170672.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here is another tank my Grandson gave me to build.

I've not much interest in modern stuff, but I'm chuffed he entrusts me to make it for him.

Ron

I can't see why he shouldn't trust you Ron. He must have seen some of your work so he knows the quality of your workmanship.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great start to this one,Ron,I have done two of them and both enjoyed the build of them,
looking good,:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone for the encouraging posts. Much appreciated.

I've fitted the upper hull and side skirts. Then I brush painted the whole lot with more Vallejo Model Air Olive Drab. Being thin, this stuff works a treat when brush applied to large areas. I'm very pleased with the end result....Whereas I have to faff about watering down the Model Colour to get the roughly the same paint consistency for the same application.

Here's a tip taught to me by my late father, that might be of some use to 'Brush Hands' contemplating large painted areas....... Way back, there was no such thing as fancy paint retarders for the modeller, so my dad bunged the model and paints in the fridge for a while. This made the plastic nice and cold and kept the paint 'mobile' for ages. I still use this method - and won't change either.

Here are the pictures.
P1170673.JPG

P1170674.JPG

P1170675.JPG

There are still loads of bits to add to the hull, but, as I'm still undecided about the cammo. I'm leaving them off for now.

I'll give the model a final coat tomorrow, then start on the turret.

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your posts, folks. Good stuff.

I've made a start on the turret.

Here are the pictures.

First coat. See the brush marks? Don't worry and don't be tempted to thicken your paint - keep it thin.
And remember, no faffing about, work quickly.
P1170682.JPG

Second coat. See the difference? No worries!
P1170684.JPG

A general view. Ready for a third and final coat.
P1170685.JPG

Here are the only two brushes I've used for the green. The left hand one is for the initial coat and to dab into the nooks and crannies.

The flat brush is for subsequent proper coats to enable me to lay the paint off nice and smooth.
P1170688.JPG

A close up of the dabber....Yes, I know, but it's also useful for removing unwanted nose hair trimmings...In fact, it looks like a few are actually stuck to the bristles!....:eek:
P1170689.JPG

Some might think three coats is very time consuming. It isn't. As we know, acrylic paint dries very quickly, and when applied with that yard brush, it takes but minutes for each coat. A couple of hours including the drying time, saw the two coats on.

Cheers all,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
During my U. Boat build, I've been quietly beavering away at this too.

I've brushed on two coats of Vallejo Model Air acrylics. It might need a third, I'll check later.

Here's the cheapo flat headed brush I used. I modified it with my scalpel to help me do the 'bendy' pattern....:eek:

P1170767.JPG

What I find great fun is trying to get the camo. flowing down in a continuous pattern from turret to hull. At first, I started to follow the suggested pattern on the rear end, but to be honest, I gave up and just went my own way with the rest of the model.....It's my model, anyway, so there - ;):p!

Here's the result....

P1170760.JPG

P1170761.JPG

P1170762.JPG

P1170763.JPG

P1170765.JPG

I hope you like the model so far. Next I'll fix all the 'bits' to it. There is also a standing figure with the model, so I have him to tackle too.

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.
I'm very happy with the result. Particularly, as I broke my own rules and painted the darker shade first ( I had thought to leave it all green) and struggled a bit when I brushed on the lighter colour.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've finished this tank. Thanks for your comments along the way.

It's over in 'Armoured vehicles completed'.

Ron