Tamiya 1/35 PBR (pibber)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You’re not having much luck with the varnish on this one :sad: But again you seem to have fixed it well enough.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Bob, great to to have you pop in.

Yes Jakko, 2 new (to me) products and issues with both. That means I either need more practice with them or, more likely, go back to what's worked for me before.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That would explain it, yes … I’m always wary of varnish doing things like this, so I use it as little as possible, really.

My worst experience in this respect was my own fault, though. I had finished a SF wargaming model, and those I do varnish because they will be handled. Got out the aerosol can with gloss varnish (to be followed after by matt, as gloss is much stronger, as I’m sure you know) and started spraying. It turned white right away so I stopped immediately. Only then did I notice I had an aerosol with white primer in my hand … :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, I've made a right royal hash of this trying to add some muddy effects around the deck.

Not quite bad enough to strip & start again I hope but there might be a few more tarps, barrels & crates scattered about than I'd planned lol

Pictures once it starts to look presentable again... :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
First off Andy I hope you start feeling better soon.
Boat looking good. That frilling around the decal was strange but you've sorted it. That Tamiya photo doesn't do Tamiya any favours - send them your photo and say they can use it for a fee :smiling2: Figures look good.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul & Jim.

I'm slowly working my way around, adding bits, disguising bits, and I'm getting happier with it after the pigment disaster.

There's still a "blob" near the jerry cans to fix, and where the anchor fits up near the bow (front pointy bit Mick ;) ) still needs work, but I'm getting there.

1000004714.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andy, it's coming together okay despite the set backs.

Not far off finished now. Another coat of matt varnish on the figures, the antennas to add, maybe a couple of glaring errors I've missed and she'll be done.

Tying on the tyres / fenders was a bit of a task but I feel it looks much better than Tamiya's suggestion of just gluing them to the side!

2023-10-07 18.21.03.jpg

2023-10-07 18.23.09.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Mick

I been toying with the idea of a base for this hence no completed pics just yet, but with the standard of waterworks around here I'm worried I won't do it justice.

Worth a shot I guess, I can always pretend it didn't happen if I'm not happy lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well, you’ve got experience with using resin water in the Comet diorama, right? Then this is just a bit more of that, if you ask me :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm still not happy with how that one went so it sits unfinished for now. The last thing I need is yet another abandoned project lol

• Sad

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great stuff Andy love the airbrush work ,think I've said before I like the mono tone ,jobs best part being to make it look what it is not a solid green lump love it. Sorry about the trouble with the decals and varnish my only tru nemesis in this hobby hence no wingy things early russian armour rarely has markings so that's a let off and as for varnish only ever use unless no other way out ,I do all my filters washes paneling and weathering without. Still at least your fore warned about the decals in your russian wingy GB. Looking forward to the next installment. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The last thing I need is yet another abandoned project lol
There is that :smiling3: You could go for non-transparent water, sculpting it from non-shrinking modelling clay for example? Photos of these kinds of vessels in Vietnam almost always show a green or brown river that is pretty much zero transparent.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There is that :smiling3: You could go for non-transparent water, sculpting it from non-shrinking modelling clay for example? Photos of these kinds of vessels in Vietnam almost always show a green or brown river that is pretty much zero transparent.
I've visited one or two asian rivers & they always seemed to be the colour of Oxtail Soup! Not only used as open sewrers, but have loads of floating vegetation, and other delicacies such as dead dogs! NOT a place to go swimming!
Dave

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes, I've used up all of my resin so it would have to be a different method.

Thanks Dave, I tried hard to add a bit of variety. Sometimes decals go well for me but more often than not they don't! That varnish effect is certainly a new fear that I've unlocked, I won't use that combination again, that's for sure.
I've visited one or two asian rivers & they always seemed to be the colour of Oxtail Soup!
Ah, that gives me a colour palette to aim for at least :smiling5:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yes, I've used up all of my resin so it would have to be a different method.

Thanks Dave, I tried hard to add a bit of variety. Sometimes decals go well for me but more often than not they don't! That varnish effect is certainly a new fear that I've unlocked, I won't use that combination again, that's for sure.

Ah, that gives me a colour palette to aim for at least :smiling5:
Even shading towards Mulligatawny!!!!!:tongue-out3:
Dave

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So I've taken the plunge as it were.

I didn't want to potentially waste a thick block of XPS foam so I laminated two thin sheets around some polystyrene I had lying around:

1000004742.jpg

I buttered it up with PVA and left it to tack off before bringing it all together. Since all the surfaces are non-porous I figured it would speed up the drying time. Plenty of weight helped:

1000004744.jpg

I had to go out and buy some more PVA before tackling the rest. The gallon tub I've had for maybe 10 years has finally run out, so I picked up another one from B&Q. Dirt cheap No Nonsense brand has always seen me right :smiling3:

Upon my return I built up a portion of river bank and framed the foam with the last bits of thin ply I have left. This will all have plenty of time to dry before cracking on with surface tomorrow evening.

I have several different fillers to choose from so it could get anything on it, although I'll avoid the bag of concrete I think!

1000004749.jpg

Whilst at B&Q I picked up some jute twine and I'm having a go at a technique I saw for quick n dirty palm trees, by wrapping it around some twigs from the garden. It all looks a bit hairy right now but I'll smooth it out a little once the glue dries:

1000004747.jpg

And I'm painting up some paper to make the leaves. It could end up looking awful but it's worth a try :smiling5:

1000004748.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Boat looks great. The figures work perfectly. Very interesting to see the base come together - looks neat already. Clever palm trees.