Tamiya 1/35 Renault UE Carrier - finally completed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This has taken a long time to complete - the 3D printing has taken over the benchtime, like working on computers, it takes sucks time & your attention away................DSCF4154.JPGDSCF4155.JPGDSCF4157.JPGDSCF4158.JPGDSCF4159.JPGDSCF4160.JPG............... I will be returning to the bench, and spend less time on the printer!
The Renault is a nice little model, the fit is excellent & no problems in assembly - it is rather dull, and it really needs putting in a diorama to bring out the best.
The paved road base is the first 3D printed part I've actually used in a model, and I hope to use a few more in the future - it does have limits in that the build plate is limited to roughly 200mm x 200mm.
Thanks for dropping by - I'm off to the stash to see if anything leaps out and screams "Me Me Me!"
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Top finish Dave and as the others have said, the base really sets this little fella off nice!!! It doesn't take up a lot of space either in a dio. I just hope a Tiger II doesn't come along and run the poor tiny thang over though.......Great job Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

That's turned out very nicely indeed. The base really does add to it and has turned out very nicely.

Do you think there is any danger of the base warping over time?

Again very well done.

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Gonna show my ignorance of 3d printing now, but what causes it to degrade ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Dave. A fun little vehicle I think.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gonna show my ignorance of 3d printing now, but what causes it to degrade ?
Polylactic Acid ( PLA ) can degrade through absorbing water, UV rays & temperature change ( apparently some bacteria can affect it as well ). It's produced by bacterial fermentation from corn starch, cassava roots, or sugarcane, is sustainable & renewable.
I've stupidly bought some old ( cheap! ) filament that was beginning to go off - it becomes inconsistently brittle - unusable. You store it in the dark, with silica gel sachets & kept cool & dry. New, it comes vacuum packed with silica gel
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I don't think it degrades much,if at all, after printing, Dave. I've been using it for about 10 years at work and I'm not aware of any of our models doing that

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Polylactic Acid ( PLA ) can degrade through absorbing water, UV rays & temperature change ( apparently some bacteria can affect it as well ). It's produced by bacterial fermentation from corn starch, cassava roots, or sugarcane, is sustainable & renewable.
I've stupidly bought some old ( cheap! ) filament that was beginning to go off - it becomes inconsistently brittle - unusable. You store it in the dark, with silica gel sachets & kept cool & dry. New, it comes vacuum packed with silica gel
Dave
Thanks for the explanation Dave, I'd seriously got no idea why this happened... :thumb2:, doe's this happen with all types of filament ? or are the 'more expensive brands less liable to this happening ?
(Only concerned as the Mekon model I'm about to build for the tv GB has 3d printed arms)