Tamiya 1/35 Renault UE Carrier - finally completed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
doe's this happen with all types of filament ? or are the 'more expensive brands less liable to this happening ?
(Only concerned as the Mekon model I'm about to build for the tv GB has 3d printed arms)
Neil, has much more experience with this - 10 years vs 10 weeks!, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!! I don't know about resin printed parts, that may be different again
Dave

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil, has much more experience with this - 10 years vs 10 weeks!, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!! I don't know about resin printed parts, that may be different again
Dave
The early SLA resins (circa 2000) were very prone to degradation, even after curing - so much so that standard practice in industry was to mould the printed parts immediately and cast in a polyester or polyurethane resin.
Alot of work has been done in the meantime to eliminate this, and to develop resins to mimic industrial plastics like ABS. Remember that the process was originally known as Rapid Prototyping.
The modern resins are entirely different, chemically, and are cured with different light types like uv, so I don't think it's likely to be a problem nowadays - especially with something sold commercially.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nicely done Dave, even at 1/35 those smallish vehicles are a bit too fiddly for me at my age, but you pulled it off
superbly.

Jim.