Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire. Anniversary build.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I built this to celebrate one year since I completed my very first model kit, also a Spitfire.

With the help of you guys and the internet I've learnt a lot since then. Probably so much that I get confused with so many techniques, but I'm sure I'll settle into a groove given time. I'll always want to keep trying new things though as there's still so much more to learn. Anyway, I'd like to think I've improved over the past year, although even now there are things with this that I know could be better (dust inside the canopy for one!), but I'm more than happy with my progress.

Thanks for looking in, and all the help, advice & encouragement along the way, and here's to many more years! :cool:

XSnOEE1.png

PtIwGPn.jpg

RwZ48iA.jpg

wfLHeor.jpg

HCtkvbA.jpg

zB7Ih2S.jpg

ahyCuv0.jpg

exo7Q2B.jpg

And the ever growing collection

V39aRQG.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Andy a great build one to be proud of.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank you chaps.

I'm starting to run out of room now, will need to think about moving some into storage!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Really nice result Andy, and it looks great next to your original Spitfire.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Joe, I seem to be heading in the right direction.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work Andy , they both look great but you can see the difference in the latest one. The dust inside the canopy is one of those mysteries that afflicts me every now and then , even though it was clean when I stuck the canopy on ,after final unmasking theres a little shaving of plastic or bit of dust on the inside .! :tired: Looks like you’ll have to start storing them away , the shelves are getting a bit full! Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tony.

What I'd settled on was using a few blobs of PVA to hold the canopies in place while painting, so I could remove and clean them afterwards. The last few haven't needed it though so I thought I'd glue this one permanently. Sod's Law! :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That's a cracking result - a great anniversary model of such an iconic aircraft.
Jim

Matt.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matt
Looks great, I have 1 to build, if I can match your original one I’ll be happy

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi carking result you must be very proud with the outcome, the first one is very good but you can see how you have improved in such a short time. Very well done.
Pete.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very Nice Andy :thumb2:
You’ve taken to the hobby like a duck to water and i think you should be more than happy with what you’ve achieved over your first year. I’ll be looking at your builds for tips!
The spitfire looks excellent :smiling4:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank you both.

The Tamiya was obviously a much better starting point but I'd like to think the little things I've learned and added here & there have made a difference.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Though your first one isn’t a poor model by any stretch, this new one really shows how far you’ve gotten in just a year :smiling3: I like the brown and green better than grey and green for these kinds of planes in any case, and this one looks very good.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks really good Andy, well done. I preferred the chipping before your paint disaster though...
Pete