Tamiya 1/6 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks very much for the comments guys, the quality of this kit makes building it so easy if a little time consuming with the number/size of parts. The upside is it makes me look more skilled than I really am.

Andy.
You may think so Andy, but your work is clean and the spraying spot on.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm really in late on this one Andy and your skills are incredible on her. This is turning into a master class bike for sure. I'll try and keep up now that I got my laptop back...

Prost
Allen

First Name
Andy
I got some painting done and started to fit the rest of the decals on the bodywork panels which have just had a coat of Micro Sol so will leave them overnight and see how they settle.
52892695476_bf234b9781_b.jpg

Work was delayed a bit by me making a stupid mistake when painting the front mudguard. As I mentioned in a previous post I painted it with a Halfords rattle can of white which was nothing like the colour required so when the Tamiya paint arrived I sprayed it on, it looked OK so I fitted the decals and gave it a coat of laquer, job done, or so I thought. It became obvious when I painted the other parts that the colour was still not right, the reason being I had forgotten to re-prime the thing with white primer...........clown!
Luckily there are 2 sets of decals to give the choice of 2 colour schemes so I used them to make masks for the existing decals and primed and painted again and I think I may have got away with it, we shall see when the others are laquered, failing that I may go and hide in a corner for a couple of years. Sorry for rambling on but I had to tell someone. :smiling5:

Andy.

First Name
Andy
Wow you masked over them and resprayed they look really good tbh i never notice un till i read your tread and still I cant see any issues looks great
Thanks to all for the kind comments on the work, if it had been a £25 model it may well have been thrown in the bin as I nearly had a heart attack when I realised what I had done but it is such a great, and bl**dy expensive thing, I just had to try and remedy my mistake. I could have just repainted it in the red black and white scheme but it is a bit dull.
I was saved by the kit having 2 sets of decals for the 2 colour schemes so cutting a mask for the front mudguard from the other decal saved the day (I hope), lesson learned, paint ALL the panels at the same time.

Andy.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Andy, you definitely fixed the prob in a most excellent way. You have a great knack for these moto-cycle kits and all the probs that can arise during the build. If a prob can't be fixed, remember those 3 letters, Sir......No, not b-i-n, but m-u-d!!! It covers all of them easily!!!...

Prost
Allen

First Name
Andy
This thing is getting big.
52898324570_b84d7f269e_h.jpg

Side panels nearly finished.
52898100769_1b07e6cb59_h.jpg

The left one looks darker but it's just the light.
A bit of a test to see if I can get the right shade of blue for the tank.
52898385288_6749655fdb_h.jpg

Needs a bit more dark blue added.
Side panel test fitted to see how it looks.
52898101389_e614c4f690_h.jpg

This model will need a BIG case, perhaps I should buy an aquarium. ;)

Andy.

Last edited:
First Name
Andy
I reckon another few hours of fiddly bits and this will be done although I am having trouble getting the decals to lie down properly on the fuel tank.
Exhaust system fitted.
52910582558_d6b66056b9_b.jpg

Not too happy with the front pipe colour, seems a bit too blue on the bike so I will probably take it of and mist a bit of clear orange on it.
52910283044_ceabc03ba4_h.jpg

Yes, I know I did not fill the seam in the frame down tube but unless you are up really close like in the picture it will not seen on the finished model.
Spending too much time on my real bike right now so building is a bit slow.

Andy.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I reckon another few hours of fiddly bits and this will be done although I am having trouble getting the decals to lie down properly on the fuel tank.
Exhaust system fitted.
52910582558_d6b66056b9_b.jpg

Not too happy with the front pipe colour, seems a bit too blue on the bike so I will probably take it of and mist a bit of clear orange on it.
52910283044_ceabc03ba4_h.jpg

Yes, I know I did not fill the seam in the frame down tube but unless you are up really close like in the picture it will not seen on the finished model.
Spending too much time on my real bike right now so building is a bit slow.

Andy.
In the first picture i thought it was a real bike

First Name
Andy
Handlebars all done, 22 parts in that lot.
52917207867_70e7840742_b.jpg

52917941879_20ef65c5fd_b.jpg

Tank and side panels test fitted.
52917790116_e06664b42e_h.jpg

52917941564_375dfdd6d5_h.jpg

Not happy with the tank as some parts of the decals will not settle properly, I did think about stripping them off and painting the parts but decided it would be a nightmare to get the paint mix to exactly match the colour of the other decals so I will put up with it.
I notice on the new Tamiya 1/12 Honda CBR 1000 RR-R thirty year anniversary model they use Cartograf decals so perhaps they have seen the light as far as decals go.

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking an extremely fine build Andy , and with out the use of any mud ;) Think you would enjoy a tank build , any faults out with the mud !